• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

One for the bite alarm using heretics

These snag bar thingies for the heavy sleepers yes:(
Best Regards
Dave

Sleeping isn't my thing but many bite alarms have pretty shallow rests. I've had the odd savage take that's come close to bumping the rod out of the rests, even with a baitrunner on. I'm afraid that I'm not perfect and I do have to look away from my rods once in a while. I'd rather be safe than sorry and they'd get used for my carping too. Again, I don't sleep doing that either.:p

i use what i think is solar snag bars, 2 rods about 3ins proud of the top of alarm, certainly as safe as the better rodrest tops....j.w

I think a solid butt grip is just as important, without it, your rod will still cartwheel and may still come out of the snag grips.

Surely how tight you have the drag / baitrunner set determines the action on the rod, not trying to be argumentative and I understand that not everyone fishes the same

Best Regards
Dave

Last edited:
> Surely how tight you have the drag / baitrunner set determines the action on the rod, not trying to be argumentative and I understand that not everyone fishes the same

Maybe I have read that wrong, but to me that translates roughly to:

"I understand that not everyone fishes the same, but I am right and everyone else is wrong"

:D

"reading between the lines" was a problem with "old-BFW" Darren :) Dave said what he said, his opinion, and he did say "not trying to be argumentative"

Even though you used a smiley big grin, let's not labour the point :)

paul4

I can understand using them for bolt and brace's approach but Dave is right i think.... weight of the lead / feeder and whether you are using a running, semi or fixed leads would have an impact as well as slackening off the bait runner (if your using one that is........)

i'd pay less for a korum / john roberts plastic one tho mate, 10 quid's a bit steep to me and if you drop it in drink.............................

Surely how tight you have the drag / baitrunner set determines the action on the rod, not trying to be argumentative and I understand that not everyone fishes the same

Best Regards
Dave

Dave,
your first post certainly did come across as snippy as hell and ever so slightly insulting/condescending but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
As regards to baitrunner settings, I'd agree, but you can't really set them any lighter than just tight enough to stop the flow stripping line. That's exactly what I do. I don't fish fixed/semi fixed leads as bolt rigs either.

Butt cups do an admirable job of stopping any chance of a rod pinwheeling over a rest. I've still had takes that have bounced the rod almost out of the rest in the alarm in one split second hit. My own close proximity to the rod being the only thing that saved the rod from at least ending up on the bank, at worst in the drink. Snag bars should make things that little bit safer and that is my only aim.

I should have guessed that the thread would raise comment from the more traditionalist amongst us which is exactly why it was titled as it was.

Thanks to those that have given answers to the question posed.

Thanks Paul

Oh and Chris......................condescending and insulting I am not, my original post was made tongue in cheek (bet it got a smile from Mr Walker) as the subject of alarms has been discussed many times over the years on old BFW, unfortunately sometimes the manner in which posts are made are not transmitted correctly over the tinternet, it certainlty wasn't meant to infer anything against you and I apologise if that is what occured.
Best Regards
Dave

Rocca but you're a self confessed luddite. Chris I've told ya buy a proper pod and use butt cups, I've had some very violent takes on't Trent that would have bounced out, buckled and or damaged lesser set-ups. Actually I think that the absorbency of the rod plays a big part as well, my Torrixes just bend, not sure how I'll go on with the stiffer flood rods if I ever get chance to use them.

Conrad

Why not screw in a suitable length bankstick adjacent to the rods on the downstream side? That's what I('d) do. Doesn't matter whether they're 1,3,5, or any number of inches above the level of the rod, they're purely to stop it going sideways and you're going to be picking it up either straight, or in the opposite direction, depending on whether you're bolt-rigged or running.

I find setting your baitrunner so that it gives line just before the tip would be pointing at the fish coupled with decent "butt-grips" is more than sufficient. Tbh I've only ever used the banksticks when carp are possible on the river.

Edit: I use Delkims.

Last edited:
if you spend your time cod fishing on a big river like me snag bars are a brilliant addition to your set up i use steve neville alarms and they are shallow .if the river is pushing through and you need a fairly tight baitrunner or drag setting they give extra security along with good rear rest ie butt grips or cups

Back