• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OMC magic twig

I wasn't aware of any hysteria until I had a peek at one of the Carp forums...some folks are getting a bit hot under the collar!

I wonder how many of the venues that have already banned it have looked at one? Whilst I have doubts overs it practicality and ethicacy, it seems like many are being a little too quick to join the stampede which suggests to me a different agenda. At least base decisions on trails and experience rather than knee-jerk reactions fueled by social media.

As a general point I do think angling needs to have a big think about the direction in travel in some areas. Two big issues that really stand out to me, is the issue of overstocked fisheries (commercial and clubs) where fish are found at unnaturally high densities and are easy to catch because they are hungry. It's wrong on so many levels, not least animal welfare, and utterly demeans the species we value so highly.

And secondly the wider issue of the use of some technologies. The use of drones for fish location for instance...kids sat on the bank staring the screens of their smartphones rather than walking the banks and piecing together the clues.

I'm not telling anyone how to fish, but it worries me where it will end. As soon as the odds become so stacked in favour of the angler, what is the point?
I echo those sentiments Joe, but I'm afraid the horse has bolted.
The drive to remove a fish from it's environment as a wild animal and convert it to human societal commodity has changed what we are doing it for and how far we are willing to go.

Trying to keep this lighthearted, the more slimline version 2 now available ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_191049_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_191049_Samsung Internet.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 98
I would guess Neil is referring to byelaws (eg Thames region “You must not use any device that is designed to hook a fish automatically.”)
Ahh we don’t have that bylaw in Yorkshire, the same Thames area bylaw that Neil suggests would make the twig illegal says you can use a 3 hook flapper rig I know what I’d rather see being used

Back