• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OMC magic twig

I'm new to barbel fishing, but that's why I don't wear camo clothing, use two rods, or own a Delkim Txi-D V2 Presentation set (yours for only £579.99)... 😁 and I often HOLD my rod while waiting for bites (something a true carper wouldn't be seen dead doing).

I vote we continue the carper-bashing (a welcome respite from bashing the water companies) and don't succumb to their grubby habits. :D

I go Carp fishing and I also own 5 delkim TXI-D’s (I take my kids as well). But guess what? I also go roving my local river with one rod, a bucket, mat and seat. I go to a local pond and fish the lift method for Tench. Last time I went to a day ticket Trent spot for the weekend (Bobs Island), I had 7 different species including double figure Barbel, double figure Pike, near 2lb Perch caught right under my feet, all sorts trotting a stick float etc..

But, most of the time I’ll be using 2 rods ‘carbelling’ on my Trent syndicate. That’s ok though, I’m out of the way of ‘real’ Barbel anglers who no doubt are far superior to me in both their catches and their attitudes to other forms of fishing. ;)

One of the many great things about angling is that you are, by and large, and notwithstanding any club regulations, free to peruse the hobby in your own way. Like Rob, I’ll happily fish behind buzzers and baitrunners if the mood takes me but equally I’ll leave the 21st century behind me and indeed the thick end of the 20th century and take my Wallis Wizard and Millwards Zephyr and fish for bites.

Good thing about this of course is that I get sneered at from both sides of the devide. 😉

Luddite ! Buzzers ? Baitrunners ? Dick Walker was using them and a mitchell 300 with the bail arm open 70 years a go. What you need is a bait boat, a drone , and of course a magic Twig !

Last edited:
What you need is a bait boat and a magic Twig !
When Angling Technics bring out a bait boat that looks like this then I’ll be all ears.

IMG_0601.jpeg

After seeing the videos of the twig contraption in action it appeared to be completely superfluous. As far as I could make out it did nothing at all other than be a potential hazzard....a thumbs down from me 👎.

Luddite ! Buzzers ? Baitrunners ? Dick Walker was using them and a mitchell 300 with the bail arm open 70 years a go. What you need is a bait boat, a drone , and of course a magic Twig !
I watched one fat lad using a bait boat on the Teme (as his wife 'n child looked on ....bored). He ended up going for a (necessary) swim.
😂 🤣 😂
There We Are Then.

Back