• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OMC magic twig

Hi men

Ali is marmite , his forceful screaming shouty promotion of very average gear is aimed at a demographic that wear silly hats and overpriced hoodies , so I'm ok . I have crossed paths with him commenting on the castable rat trap 😜 , but morals and standards were dropped from a height the day after he left Korda . The rods , reels , pods he was assuring everyone were the best were hot potatoes instantly and when I pulled him up on it as many did , he sold out .

OMC gear is very ordinary but has a good salesman , other than a box you strap to your rod which iv never seen anyone using , and now this , the rest are produced by all the other major even minor players just as good .

So the twig 🤔 , will sell loads of them as people hope it will short cut to success , people who buy ready made everything because of a lack of time fishing daytickets looking for a Facebook pic want to put all the odds in their favour . Tbh lots of anglers are new jumping strait into carp style angling , perhaps missing out morals and etiquette and don't see it like I do ......... A castable rat trap .

So yes , not for me , but I'm older than god's dog .

Hatter
I think this is bang on
Whatever anyone thinks of Danny Fairbrass I respect he started with nothing , making and selling leads and he’s built an empire
A business genius and lots have tried and failed in the angling world
Don’t really buy into the Korda thing as I don’t carp fish but enjoy the Monster Carp TV and in awe of anglers like Darryl Peck - simply a catching machine
Same with Nash plus the other brands such as Fox, ESP, even Pro-logic, Ridge Monkey, Trakker- all continuously pushing the envelope on innovative products and that’s just of the top of my head
Think Ali has a tough job on his hands trying to take on these companies

It would be interesting to read some fishery rules.

Taken from Reading and District rule book 'No member shall use any automatic striking device' open to interpretation I suppose.

Not sure where he got his info as not yet on sale I’m told but he quoted a price of £15.00 😱 looking OMC website thet certainly know how to charge. It’s not just carp tax it’s carp tax times two (and more)…..£59.99 for a sweat shirt !

£60 isn’t even expensive for a sweatshirt in the normal world, so I’m not sure where the ’carp tax’ comes in there.

What I don’t really get at the moment is the multitude of fisheries banning it based on fish safety. I get why, but I’ll explain further….I’ve done a fair bit of carp fishing over the years, and not once has any owner or bailiff ever checked my rigs. I could have been using anything, For a start, I would bet that 50%+ of lead clip tail rubbers are pushed on so tightly that the lead is never coming off. Lifting fish in the net with everything still attached in there including the lead. I always unclip the hooklink or unhook in the net, and Ali is right in that respect.

I’ve seen really thin mainline braid used for hooklinks (and I know some Barbel anglers use it too because it’s cheaper than the ‘rip off’ carp braids). You might as well use cheese wire.

Plenty of places still allow leaders and leadcore, even with drop off beads on a helicopter rig It only needs some weed bound around the leadcore join to the mainline and the hooklink ain’t coming off.

So I do find it a bit ‘holier than thou’ when lakes have a list of rules but fully trust people to follow them - we all know that in the real world that doesn’t happen, and there are plenty of ‘carp anglers’ who treat the sport as an excuse to get away from the Mrs for a weekend and drink a crate of Stella.

The twig clearly works, but it needs an element of pressure to trigger so a fish can still suck in the hookbaits and spit it out. Where it may give an advantage is where the hook pricks, and it then pulls it further in and a fish can no longer eject it.

In some of the videos it’s side on btw which is why you can’t see the arms sticking out - I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to release a video showing their new ‘wonder product’ not actually working…

It’s not for me, but I don’t understand the mass hysteria that’s come from it.

Not really seeing much in the way of hysteria. More just a general feeling that some people feel that it’s either unethical, un-sporting, ineffectual, over-priced twaddle. My thoughts are that it’s all of the above. But hysterical? Nah, I doubt I’ll get my knickers all in a twist over it. 😉

Not really seeing much in the way of hysteria. More just a general feeling that some people feel that it’s either unethical, un-sporting, ineffectual, over-priced twaddle. My thoughts are that it’s all of the above. But hysterical? Nah, I doubt I’ll get my knickers all in a twist over it. 😉
Do you use a hair rig Haydn for barbel and wait for a 3ft twitch?

I wasn't aware of any hysteria until I had a peek at one of the Carp forums...some folks are getting a bit hot under the collar!

I wonder how many of the venues that have already banned it have looked at one? Whilst I have doubts overs it practicality and ethicacy, it seems like many are being a little too quick to join the stampede which suggests to me a different agenda. At least base decisions on trails and experience rather than knee-jerk reactions fueled by social media.

As a general point I do think angling needs to have a big think about the direction in travel in some areas. Two big issues that really stand out to me, is the issue of overstocked fisheries (commercial and clubs) where fish are found at unnaturally high densities and are easy to catch because they are hungry. It's wrong on so many levels, not least animal welfare, and utterly demeans the species we value so highly.

And secondly the wider issue of the use of some technologies. The use of drones for fish location for instance...kids sat on the bank staring the screens of their smartphones rather than walking the banks and piecing together the clues.

I'm not telling anyone how to fish, but it worries me where it will end. As soon as the odds become so stacked in favour of the angler, what is the point?

Last edited:
I think like all things it ends where you want it to end. I thought about this a lot over the years when I stoped lure fishing, I would rather ledger or float for perch even though people around me may be catching more on an alternative method but I find peace in watching the float for example.

Its a choice for most of us we can make, to make the odds in our favour or not, that's the magic of fishing you can kind of make it harder or easier depending on the challenge you want on the day. Like a video game with different difficulty settings in way.

I walk on to a big pit have a lead about can't find what I am looking for look at my watch ARRR C*P I got to get home for the kids in an hour out comes the deeper, not my first choice but my angling is time limited so mr deeper gets launched out to scan the area off it comes back to marker float I have saved my self days with a young family waiting for me at home. See where I am at with it, it's all about choices that suit our situation. This if someone wants to pick it up and use it is a choice they will make based on a sittation, I don't think this will truly revolutionise fishing like there is no wonder bait or we ALL would be on it. its all situational.

That's my view anyway

Now back to dreaming of watching my float sail away next week for crucians and tench... Happy days.. have a lovely days all.

Using a deeper to map out a lake is one thing. It doesn't tell you where the fish will be. It's just saved time on marker float work, less disturbance etc.

If I fished gravel pits rather than silty meres, I'd consider using a deeper.

The use of drones for real time fish location is a different level of demystifying (if that's the right word).

, is the issue of overstocked fisheries (commercial and clubs) where fish are found at unnaturally high densities and are easy to catch because they are hungry. It's wrong on so many levels, not least animal welfare, and utterly demeans the species we value so highly.
Couldn't agree more with this Joe. There's a place not far from me in MK. The fish only appear to eat the "house pellet". Throw a couple in and fish are on them in seconds. I'm convinced the owner half starves these fish. With next to no natural food in there. Some of the fish are so disfigured, it's pitiful.

I wasn't aware of any hysteria until I had a peek at one of the Carp forums...some folks are getting a bit hot under the collar!

I wonder how many of the venues that have already banned it have looked at one? Whilst I have doubts overs it practicality and ethicacy, it seems like many are being a little too quick to join the stampede which suggests to me a different agenda. At least base decisions on trails and experience rather than knee-jerk reactions fueled by social media.

As a general point I do think angling needs to have a big think about the direction in travel in some areas. Two big issues that really stand out to me, is the issue of overstocked fisheries (commercial and clubs) where fish are found at unnaturally high densities and are easy to catch because they are hungry. It's wrong on so many levels, not least animal welfare, and utterly demeans the species we value so highly.

And secondly the wider issue of the use of some technologies. The use of drones for fish location for instance...kids sat on the bank staring the screens of their smartphones rather than walking the banks and piecing together the clues.

I'm not telling anyone how to fish, but it worries me where it will end. As soon as the odds become so stacked in favour of the angler, what is the point?

Yep, it’s all got a little crazy. There have been multiple reports recently of 1,000lb+ catches in 5 hour matches. An average of over 3lb for every minute fished. Nobody is telling me that there is any fish care at all there, they are dragged out as quickly as possible, unhooked and chucked in the net. The fishing equivalent of battery hens.

That’s far, far worse than a rig element that may covert more pickups to hooked fish. I mean where do you draw the line? Sharpened hooks, heavy leads, rigs that reset after a pickup (which is why the Ronnie is so good, it’s always fishing) etc etc etc. Everything is about making rigs more efficient, but yet the underwater videos show how often Carp are getting away with it and even in pressured big carp waters some of them simply go missing for a year or more at a time.

Compare that with the commercials where the fish are hungry, have no choice but to eat anglers bait and are hammered constantly. They have torn mouths from being pulled out with small barbless hooks (my local commercial has a barbless max size 10 policy and the fishes mouths are shocking, I went once with my kids and haven’t been back), and I think as a hobby we are looking at the wrong places to complain.

Last edited:
I've said this on another forum, but I don't believe this is the finished article. It looks too crude, and fisheries are banning it on the look of it rather than if it's suitable. There'll be a MK2 version along soon that will have the tweaks on it that make fisheries allow it. Love him or hate him, Ali Hamidi worked for Korda for a long time, he knows how to sell something, I don't think he'd release something that wouldn't sell because it's banned everywhere. There's no point, he'd never sell any.

Talking of Korda, I haven't seen any of their fisheries ban it yet, unless I've missed it.

At the end of the day, the publicity OMC have had generated by something that hasn't even been released yet, is invaluable.

You hear it in a video on the omc facebook page. It sounds like a mouse trap going off. That straight away put me off it before i even knew what it was. All the lakes i fish have banned it already and even if they hadn’t i’d never use it, just doesn’t feel right too me.

Back