• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Off the shelf Barbel rods

The infinity 1.75 imo has been the best off the shelf rods for years. I'm a massive fan of the K guides, which are on the Guru rods and looking fwd to giving these a waggle.
The 1.75s and 2.25s have covered all of my Barbeling for years apart from float work.No reason to change them.

Why, if you're not buying them?
I follow his logic. When I retired and took up fishing, (after a 50 year gap) tackle shops advised buying a particular rod as it will last a lifetime. When I said I don't have a lifetime, they were stumped. I have used every means in my power to buy as many rods as I possibly could which I thought may be of interest if only just to see what the fuss is all about Used them all, getting on for a hundred in total, save less than a handful I took an immediate dislike to, kept those which suited me best and ended up, 13 years later, with a dozen I am very fond of. Without Ebay this would not have been possible as buying at retail prices would not have worked.. Its been fun too.

I follow his logic. When I retired and took up fishing, (after a 50 year gap) tackle shops advised buying a particular rod as it will last a lifetime. When I said I don't have a lifetime, they were stumped. I have used every means in my power to buy as many rods as I possibly could which I thought may be of interest if only just to see what the fuss is all about Used them all, getting on for a hundred in total, save less than a handful I took an immediate dislike to, kept those which suited me best and ended up, 13 years later, with a dozen I am very fond of. Without Ebay this would not have been possible as buying at retail prices would not have worked.. Its been fun too.
Meant also to say the anticipated guru aventus barbel is likely to be 6 times the price when launched at the end of this year. I look forward to reading the discussions on here about it being 6 times as good or making it 6 times easier to catch and land a fish! Gonna be fun too..

How many barbel rods have you?

That’s what is so great about fishing, so many different things to different people…if you got the funds and it pleases YOU who cares what others think. I have far too many reels, some are keepers and some I get for a season and then move on to other new new models, why? Because it gives me pleasure, I don’t smoke or go out drinking so I guess tackle is my vice!

That’s what is so great about fishing, so many different things to different people…if you got the funds and it pleases YOU who cares what others think. I have far too many reels, some are keepers and some I get for a season and then move on to other new new models, why? Because it gives me pleasure, I don’t smoke or go out drinking so I guess tackle is my vice!
Totally agree with you Alan. When I retired considered golf and fishing. The former would cost around a thousand a year plus the sticks etc. Chose fishing at a much more modest annual cost. I played with reels too for a couple of years. Dropped onto rear drag biomasters which I love so moved onto rods. Good to have a kindred spirit.

So very true 👍

Totally agree with you Alan. When I retired considered golf and fishing. The former would cost around a thousand a year plus the sticks etc. Chose fishing at a much more modest annual cost. I played with reels too for a couple of years. Dropped onto rear drag biomasters which I love so moved onto rods. Good to have a kindred spirit.
just paid my golf club fees... £1950 ! Fishing is great value.

Back