• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Off the shelf Barbel rods

Think over the years I have had 3 x torrix. 1.75, 2lb and 2.5.. and sadly I have moved those rods on. I must like the name or something 😆 the one thing I cant get on is the softness in the butt section. I can only summarise the feeling; its like a big spring, that keeps on going and that doesn't suit my fishing. Back to off the shelf.
I'm very happy with the Basias, they are expensive, but if you look and wait, there is some bargains out there. I got my 2.75s, for 400 the pair....

That’s what is so great about fishing, so many different things to different people…if you got the funds and it pleases YOU who cares what others think. I have far too many reels, some are keepers and some I get for a season and then move on to other new new models, why? Because it gives me pleasure, I don’t smoke or go out drinking so I guess tackle is my vice!
That's how I like to be Alan, & don't live up to other people's views or expectations... Did too much of that up in my younger year's!

I dont do much in my life other than, work physically hard during the week, enjoy the odd weekend away with the girlfriend, don't drink or eat out much (only because eating out depresses me as the quality against what you pay for is crap, especially where I live😂)

I have no children or a close family, so I concentrate on paying off the mortgage, & have never fallen into the trap (unlike loads of people, of living way beyond my means on the plastic credit card, and certainly don't play that bulls@#t game of keeping up with the Joneses) 😂
I'm extremely content in my life with simple things, as I'm an uncomplicated simple person myself 😂

Anything spare goes to rods that I buy or get built.
I then invariably sell at a profit, if they don't match up to my expectations, (which happens a lot) so don't actually loose anything in the long run.

Therefore I 'upgrade' my gear & rods along the way.

This is what makes me happy...
I have a mate who's staggered at what I buy or do around my fishing gear.... even convinced I have an offshore account😂, but what he doesn't know is that I work (like most) bloody hard, saves, and buys with a savy mind, sells gear at the top price when I can...
For me sometimes, I enjoy this more than the actual fishing! 😂I

I don't think I'm alone on that front 😂👍

Last edited:
That's how I am Alan. Don't do much in my life, I work physically hard, enjoy the odd weekend away with the girlfriend, don't drink or eat out (only because eating out depresses me as the quality against what you pay for is crap😂) I have no children or a big family, so I concentrate on paying off the mortgage, & have never fallen into the trap of living beyond my means!

I then invariably sell at a profit, if they don't match up to my expectations, (which happens a lot) so don't actually loose anything in the long run.

Therefore I 'upgrade' my centrepin reels & rods along the way.

It's what makes me happy...
I have a mate who convinced I have an offshore account, but what he doesn't know is that I work blinking hard, saves, buys with a savy mind, sells gear at the top price when I can...
For me sometimes, I enjoy this more than the actual fishing! 😂

I don't think I'm alone on that front 😂uty of

The beauty of eBay is that it has allowed me to
That's how I am Alan. Don't do much in my life, I work physically hard, enjoy the odd weekend away with the girlfriend, don't drink or eat out (only because eating out depresses me as the quality against what you pay for is crap😂) I have no children or a big family, so I concentrate on paying off the mortgage, & have never fallen into the trap of living beyond my means!

Therefore I 'upgrade' my centrepin reels & rods along the way.

It's what makes me happy...
I have a mate who convinced I have an offshore account, but what he doesn't know is that I work blinking hard, saves, buys with a savy mind, sells gear at the top price when I can...
For me sometimes, I enjoy this more than the actual fishing! 😂

I don't think I'm alone on that front 😂👍
The beauty of eBay for me is it allows me to indulge in buying rods/ reels , trying them, selling or keeping as I choose. Some I lose money in which case I attribute to a hiring fee and some I win. I can't describe how much fun this has given me.

Think over the years I have had 3 x torrix. 1.75, 2lb and 2.5.. and sadly I have moved those rods on. I must like the name or something 😆 the one thing I cant get on is the softness in the butt section. I can only summarise the feeling; its like a big spring, that keeps on going and that doesn't suit my fishing. Back to off the shelf.
I'm very happy with the Basias, they are expensive, but if you look and wait, there is some bargains out there. I got my 2.75s, for 400 the pair....
I don’t know which torrixs your using but softness in the butt section is not something I’ve ever heard associated with a Torrix before. Chimeras are softer in the butt section than torrixs are all test curves being equal.
Torrix rods are known for being more tippy with quite alot of power lower down.
The 11ft version is my favorite barbel rod bar none because it’s a bit hybrid between a slow and a fast action rod.
The result is it casts a surprising amount more than most 1.75’s yet it bends down to the cork if something really special is pulling back.
Certainly no where near as soft in the butt as chimeras, GTI’s, ipowers etc.

Shown here by the pro. That’s a classic torrix action with a very big fish on
IMG_1737.jpeg

I don’t know which torrixs your using but softness in the butt section is not something I’ve ever heard associated with a Torrix before. Chimeras are softer in the butt section than torrixs are all test curves being equal.
The 11ft version is my favorite barbel rod bar none because it’s a bit hybrid between a slow and a fast action rod.
The result is it casts a surprising amount more than most 1.75’s yet it bends down to the cork if something really special is pulling back.

Shown here by the pro. That’s a classic torrix action with a very big fish on View attachment 23521
I have the 11 torrix with a 4 oz spiced tip care of peregrine. Can't think of much it can't do.

I have the 11 torrix with a 4 oz spiced tip care of peregrine. Can't think of much it can't do.
Nice….. that’s one combo I’ve never tried before.
Roger built me a chimera no1 with 3 top sections. It was a trip top.
That had quivers spliced into 2 of the sections

Nice….. that’s one combo I’ve never tried before.
Roger built me a chimera no1 with 3 top sections. It was a trip top.
That had quivers spliced into 2 of the sections
Sounds interesting too. The x7 I have has 3 top sections. in 3, 4 and 5. Not used it and won't I think as it will spoil sale value. Fancy it though.

True, normally I do, but this was a purchase by mistake, kidding myself at my age it would be ok. Better to sell it new and unused

Unless your going to sell it, the depreciation isn’t anything to worry about. I use all mine. They are there to be enjoyed
You are only a few miles up the ,,M11 Richard. If you have a fishery locally I could try perfectly ok for you to try the torrix

The beauty of eBay is that it has allowed me to

The beauty of eBay for me is it allows me to indulge in buying rods/ reels , trying them, selling or keeping as I choose. Some I lose money in which case I attribute to a hiring fee and some I win. I can't describe how much fun this has given me.
And that's it right there my friend when you say... 'you can't describe how much fun this has given you'. Everything else is irrelevant 😊👍

Shown here by the pro. That’s a classic torrix action with a very big fish on View attachment 23521
My favourite blank the Torrix! Freespirit Hi S 1.75's are nice to.

I actually prefer the seeker blanks than the hi s
My 1.75 su seekers are the one item of tackle I would never sell ….. mind you the ss1000,s are pretty sacred too
paird my su seeker with ss850, still think 1000 is a bit big for my like. I assume yours are 11ft, right?

I have a basia 1.75 test perfect for most of my Barbel and Tenching. I do need to change tip ring !
Drennan 12'10" river feeder still one of my favourites lovely action.
A couple of Shimano beastmasters (3 tops) get used by my lad.
Worst rod was a Leslies 1.75 insight. Like a wet weekend in Bognor.
This Quaser is the most unusual I posses.
20230424_175940.jpg

Dave

I have a basia 1.75 test perfect for most of my Barbel and Tenching. I do need to change tip ring !
This Quaser is the most unusual I posses.View attachment 23524
Dave
This Quaser is the most unusual I posses.View attachment 23524
Dave
been to Bognor on a wet weekend! That is bad!

Back