• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Off the shelf Barbel rods

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, does anyone have any thoughts on these rods
GURU SPECIMEN TWIN TIP 1.75 , GURU SPECIMEN BARBEL 2.25
SHIMANO BX3 PURIST BARBEL 1.75, SHIMANO BX3 PURIST BARBEL 2.25

I'd think that if you bought a pair of any of these, Adam, you'll need a bigger house as likely the 500th (guesstimate) rods you've had interest in? :D

Hi all ,
I don't intend to own these rods ! Just interested in anyone's opinion
If they happen to have one .

Hi all, does anyone have any thoughts on these rods
GURU SPECIMEN TWIN TIP 1.75 , GURU SPECIMEN BARBEL 2.25
SHIMANO BX3 PURIST BARBEL 1.75, SHIMANO BX3 PURIST BARBEL 2.25
I dont know either of these rods but I did have, at the same time, 11'feeders in tournament pro and guru aventus and both in 12'floats. The gurus were dished by aficionados say they are just Daiwa top end rods under different decals/fittings etc. Total nonsense. Fishing both together showed in my view the gurus to be appreciably superior both in the cast and paying actions. I would happily have aventus again. Had enough of tourny pro's though. But I also had a basia barbel at 2.75, won new in an auction at stupid money and liked it. Only sold as far too powerful for my needs.

I dont know either of these rods but I did have, at the same time, 11'feeders in tournament pro and guru aventus and both in 12'floats. The gurus were dished by aficionados say they are just Daiwa top end rods under different decals/fittings etc. Total nonsense. Fishing both together showed in my view the gurus to be appreciably superior both in the cast and paying actions. I would happily have aventus again. Had enough of tourny pro's though. But I also had a basia barbel at 2.75, won new in an auction at stupid money and liked it. Only sold as far too powerful for my needs.
I am not sure but I think guru avenues is not daiwa tournament blanks, but the air z blank?

You may well be right. I also had an 11 ags air feeder. Now that was a casting and playing dream!
before anyone says why did the berk sell then then, all the rods were so so thin. Paying a fighting fish I was forever thinking " Wow, this is incredible, it has to give way and break at any moment" They never did and landed some serious fish but made me a nervous wreck. I went to torrix's after them. Ha!

Same blank as the infinity, just molded butt etc.
thanks John. I used my pair for carp. stopped everything I caught under 30.5( pb). Loved them, do anything rods in my view. Sold in '18 when I went over to high end Daiwa/gurus for a year but then reverted to peregrines. I still watch out at the evos, will look much closer now. Appreciate the response, thank you.

The infinity 1.75 imo has been the best off the shelf rods for years. I'm a massive fan of the K guides, which are on the Guru rods and looking fwd to giving these a waggle.
I had the 2.1/4. I have K series torzite on my torrix! A very expensive option!

Back