• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new record fish

That’s my whole point Dave there’s miles and miles of river…… but some anglers want to jump on the back of other anglers hard work…they don’t want to put in hours of blanks……why do you think anglers like Phil smith were fishing the Ivel when the big girl was about…because I’m 99% sure he don’t live in Biggleswade
big fish attract hoardes of anglers that’s why Cromwell weir is booked 365 days of the year and I can tell you it’s not for the beautiful scenery
I Get what your saying Terry...
Let's all fish on and have a great new year.

I doubt I'll ever trouble any record. If I did, I'd be unlikely to be able to claim due to expiring from shock. Should I survive the surprise, I still doubt I'd claim. The chances of there being anyone in close proximity to witness my catch are slim. I suppose that I could call someone, but I'd not be particularly happy troubling anyone for the sake of a fish.

The next issue is that I don't think I have anything much to gain by claiming a record. Perhaps if I wanted the attention, or wished to pursue a career in angling (writing, guiding or the tackle trade). As I desire none of these things, I can see more negatives than positives in making a record claim.

To give members a idea of pressure. Bout this time last year a 19lber came out on a stretch of the Trent. It was fished but not over fished especially this time of year. 12 months on, with a bit of water on, in a space no longer than 600yds long...... 14 Bivvies. Does make me wonder what goes on In their minds.

To give members a idea of pressure. Bout this time last year a 19lber came out on a stretch of the Trent. It was fished but not over fished especially this time of year. 12 months on, with a bit of water on, in a space no longer than 600yds long...... 14 Bivvies. Does make me wonder what goes on In their minds.
If it's where I think it is, a lot of these clowns think it's ok to cast to my side of the river (opposite them) when I'm fishing even when I get there first. I have always managed to make them see sence!

If I catch a record (no chance) I would only share with close friends. I'm not bothered about any fame and I would certainly not want my fishing ruining.

Just asking (but kind of expecting the answer), do we not have a duty to maintain records?
I realise that today with anti-vaxxers and the like a sense of duty is almost something of the past, but I cannot help believe that the circus follows publicity and for the avoidance of such the BRFC are sensitive.

Just asking (but kind of expecting the answer), do we not have a duty to maintain records?
I realise that today with anti-vaxxers and the like a sense of duty is almost something of the past, but I cannot help believe that the circus follows publicity and for the avoidance of such the BRFC are sensitive.
How on earth have you managed to find a link between:
not choosing to claim a barbel record and keep the record book updated and….

not choosing take a life saving vacation and keep the national hospitalistions down.

It’s of absolutely no comparison whatsoever!

Unfortunately some of us are old enough to remember the days when there was a National list of ‘representatives’ who went out to verify possible record fish. A good idea in theory. What that actually became was a short cut to finding new waters with monster fish in them!

Cynical, but true………

I'm not going to go into details, but I believe that my sense of civic duty is as strong as most and a whole lot stronger than many. However, when it comes to fishing, that sense of duty is far greater to the regulars on a fishery than it is to the ravening hordes of the angling circus. Life won't end if a record fish isn't claimed and record isn't maintained. I don't feel any obligation to tell anyone about my angling successes, regardless of how significant/insignificant they may be. Inadvertently inviting extra pressure on a fishery was something I did in all innocence once. It's not something I'll do again. What's worse is that the information hoovers got it completely wrong and hammered the wrong place for a few weeks. The fish they'd picked up on wasn't even that big! I'm not going to knock those that choose to tell anyone and everyone. Good luck to them. Hopefully, they'll get away without it ruining their fishing.

If it's where I think it is, a lot of these clowns think it's ok to cast to my side of the river (opposite them) when I'm fishing even when I get there first. I have always managed to make them see sence!

If I catch a record (no chance) I would only share with close friends. I'm not bothered about any fame and I would certainly not want my fishing ruining.

I suspect it is more than likely where you are thinking of fishing next season Ian! 🤣

These carp anglers catching big barbel. Are they employing carp tactics i.e. Short hook links, chod rigs, ronnie rigs etc?

hi guys,seems was just a false rumour after all,but seems a good response re claming records etc,totally uderstand why keeping venue and swim is best kept quite,the swim i was lucky enough get my lea fish from is now like the somme,the first one most head for,should have been more carefull with the photos!!,lesson learned!,

Yep, I also totally understand keeping things on the down-low - back in the 90s a mate and I managed to get permission to fish a small farm pond. Though it didn't hold any records, it had a small head of VERY large tench (most of them were into double figures, which was both enormous and extremely rare back then) and a small head of genuine Leney carp (they didn't go big - largest was about 19lbs I think - but the fact they were true Leneys was enough) and as soon as word got out that we were catching some huge tench (not easy fishing mind - one or two in a whole year was the average) the hoardes of big-fish hunters turned up with all their high tech gear and camo suits. It completely ruined the place.

Yep, I also totally understand keeping things on the down-low - back in the 90s a mate and I managed to get permission to fish a small farm pond. Though it didn't hold any records, it had a small head of VERY large tench (most of them were into double figures, which was both enormous and extremely rare back then) and a small head of genuine Leney carp (they didn't go big - largest was about 19lbs I think - but the fact they were true Leneys was enough) and as soon as word got out that we were catching some huge tench (not easy fishing mind - one or two in a whole year was the average) the hoardes of big-fish hunters turned up with all their high tech gear and camo suits. It completely ruined the place.
Where is this Steve?:cool:

Back