• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new record fish

Following on from Steve's post I love these small 'unknown' and barren ponds that are stuffed full of fish. Obviously very rare but I have been lucky to find a couple and both next to roads and not exactly secret, one was stuffed full of Tench, not big, but great sport, it was between the a canal and a river and was just overlooked. The other was no more than a long shallow spring fed ditch that widened a bit and was stuffed full of Mirrors mainly with a few Commons. great fun on the float. I guess we are all the same, cant pass any sort of water and wonder...?

Last edited:
Obviously very rare but I have been lucky to find a couple and both next to roads and not exactly secret, one was stuffed full of Tench, not big, but great sport, it was between the a canal and a river and was just overlooked.
It's a wonder and miracle places like that haven't been poached to death and emptied.

Where is this Steve?:cool:
Near Chew Valley lake, BUT I understand there are no fish in there at all now - about 10 years ago there was a problem with the sluice gate and the whole pond drained overnight. In the very very unlikely event any of the fish survived the trip down, they would now be in Chew Valley lake. Last I heard the owners weren't interested in restocking and were only using the pond as a cow-drink.

Back