• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Harrisons.

BFW/Bob Gills own blank no longer available unfortunately but unbelievable curve through the blank and power.

BFW/Bob Gills own blank no longer available unfortunately but unbelievable curve through the blank and power.
A small number of I-Power were made by Harrison in an abbreviated handle configuration and were twin tip (1.75 and 2lb test) at 12'. They were developed by Andy Frances with Steve Harrison with input from a few others. Great rods and very well thought of by the majority who tried them. Stuart M used one. The first runs were in a tasteful tint of charcoal gloss.
I made lots and the one thing I disliked was having to make twin tips each time. Thank goodness the thoughts of a triple tip being supplied were forgotten as some poor sod had to make them up. I personally have a couple of i-power specials that I use now and again and think highly of them.

Not all Harrison blanks appear on the standard blank list - some are exclusives and may have tweaks here and there. I had to order i-power blank sets in batches of 10 minimum.
There was also the BFW Stalker 10' and 1.5 test and was later offered in 1.75, and the 12' BFW i-flood.
Maybe at some time in the future the i-power will be available at BFW again.

Sorry for the ramble.
Cheers
Bob

They are all very nice and a credit to the builders who have turned rod building into an art form. When I was a kid living in Bristol my Uncle was a keen fastidious angler, he was a Post Office telephone engineer instructor and although some would say an awkward character he was my hero in that apart from teaching me to fish he could also make a variety of things, not least split cane rods, some of his creations were inspiring and beautiful, the freshly whipped and varnished mark IV Avon with its beautiful agate guides was a joy to behold. I, on his passing became its new owner, and it is as beautiful as I remembered it all those years ago.
Carbon rods are more durable and workmanlike but thankfully the skills of rod builders to day, are a nod to times past.

A small number of I-Power were made by Harrison in an abbreviated handle configuration and were twin tip (1.75 and 2lb test) at 12'. They were developed by Andy Frances with Steve Harrison with input from a few others. Great rods and very well thought of by the majority who tried them. Stuart M used one. The first runs were in a tasteful tint of charcoal gloss.
I made lots and the one thing I disliked was having to make twin tips each time. Thank goodness the thoughts of a triple tip being supplied were forgotten as some poor sod had to make them up. I personally have a couple of i-power specials that I use now and again and think highly of them.

Not all Harrison blanks appear on the standard blank list - some are exclusives and may have tweaks here and there. I had to order i-power blank sets in batches of 10 minimum.
There was also the BFW Stalker 10' and 1.5 test and was later offered in 1.75, and the 12' BFW i-flood.
Maybe at some time in the future the i-power will be available at BFW again.

Sorry for the ramble.
Cheers
Bob
Nice bit of info there Bob. Cheers.

Mark tunley / bob gill / Ian tucker 3 of the best rod builders around sadly ian as stopped making rods now.
As did Bob. Hence BFW rods now unavailable.
@Bob Gill the ipowers double top sections of 1.75 and 2.0, how did they make that work well with one butt section if it was a through action rod? I would of thought that would need 2 entirely different butt sections for those two TC ratings in a through action rod.
Or was it more of a fast action tippy type blank?

Out of curiosity Richard how much much did you pay for the rods mate? If you dont mind me asking🤔 as I would like an idea as I would like some custom made rods in the future and how did you purchase them? ie shop, internet? They are bloody stunning rods mate!! 👍🏻👏🏻

Just give him a ring Chris to discuss your requirements

Out of curiosity Richard how much much did you pay for the rods mate? If you dont mind me asking🤔 as I would like an idea as I would like some custom made rods in the future and how did you purchase them? ie shop, internet? They are bloody stunning rods mate!! 👍🏻👏🏻
Chris I paid a lot of money for these as they were built outside of the norm from the MT web page. I had to twist his arm a little for the tip and isotope to be done. The rings were top spec and I had some extra little whipping details thrown on. The price was an agreed price over the phone so I’ll not openly publish it but anyone can pm me and I’ll gladly say what it was. You can however go on his website and customise your own rod from his options and that will give you a more accurate price suited to exactly what you want.

You can't ask the man that on a public forum Chris....Mrs Isaacs might be looking in! 🤫:)

'Action' you decide. I-power with 9lb barbel attached, River Wye.

Lovely looking rods Richard, Mark has done a super job by the looks of it :)

Some of our old BFW rod pages are still on the server so you can see more about the i-powers here:

The i-power with the 2lb tip was the best configuration in my opinion...

Funnily enough, I have spoken to Steve Harrison recently about the supply of single tip i-power blanks...

Cheers,

Andy

Lovely looking rods Richard, Mark has done a super job by the looks of it :)

Some of our old BFW rod pages are still on the server so you can see more about the i-powers here:

The i-power with the 2lb tip was the best configuration in my opinion...

Funnily enough, I have spoken to Steve Harrison recently about the supply of single tip i-power blanks...

Cheers,

Andy
I thought you said you lacked angling skills in that other thread Andy. Poppycock!! You have had some seriously spectacular fish out on those i power rods. 👍🏻

Back