• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan float rods

As far as 'line ratings' go, I'm more than happy to go higher (a lot higher), but I won't go lower. How often do anglers break a rod playing a fish rather than breaking a line. In the words of Aimee Allen "If it feels right, then just do it" 😉

No. Way out.
The specimen matches and carbotec no4’s weren’t even rated that high and they were considerably more powerful again.

I bought mine brand new when they first came out. Unless the shops adverts in the fishing magazines were all wrong, then the rating I posted are right.

which model did you get? I think mk1 is the strongest among all the averages.

I had the range of 2000s and the titan and avenger in the 3000s. I've used the 1000 series rods and they felt pretty much the same as the 2000s, they were just painted a different colour and had a silver reel holder rather than the gold coloured on the others. Te gold wears off and the real seat goes silver anyhow lol.
I sold all those rods when the MKII's were released and I got hold of them, they were all 13ft but still a diamuri blank which was slimmer and had a better set of guides, so swapping the older models for the MKIIs was a no brainer really.

I bought mine brand new when they first came out. Unless the shops adverts in the fishing magazines were all wrong, then the rating I posted are right.
I’ve owned both an original avenger and microlites and there’s no way 8lb line was designed to go near any of them but obviously your gonna know best

which model did you get? I think mk1 is the strongest among all the averages.
It was the most powerful avenger yes
It was never stiff enough to warrant much more than 0.2 to be a nice well balanced set up. And you could use it too.
Like I said it would land anything and didn’t need to be used overrated

I’ve owned both an original avenger and microlites and there’s no way 8lb line was designed to go near any of them but obviously your gonna know best

I only know what was printed on the advertisments, I had no reason to contest it.
If you don't agree then so be it.

Got a copy still or not

No, your talkin 20 plus years since the mkII's were advertised.
I imagine there will be some somewhere if your really interested.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't put a 8lb line through them, I use 6lb which is estimated to snap at 8lb'ish, but the 8lb would be arond 10lb!

I'm quite confident that if I was to put 4lb mono through an avenger, tie it to a tree and pull for a break that the rod would crack off first.

A lot of people go off the rings (diameters) on the rods to gauge line ratings.

No, your talkin 20 plus years since the mkII's were advertised.
I imagine there will be some somewhere if your really interested.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't put a 8lb line through them, I use 6lb which is estimated to snap at 8lb'ish, but the 8lb would be arond 10lb!

I'm quite confident that if I was to put 4lb mono through an avenger, tie it to a tree and pull for a break that the rod would crack off first.

A lot of people go off the rings (diameters) on the rods to gauge line ratings.
Didn’t realize you were referring to a mk 11. I certainly wouldn’t put 8lb through that. They have a softer action than the 3000

You mentioned the guides were better. What guides are on your mk11 rods
I thought they were A frame Ti guides same as 2000/3000

I’d pay no attention to the line ratings and reserve judgment until handled.
7lb or even 8lb line will land anything that swims if the rod is right
Look at normark avengers …. No one in the right mind would put 8lb through one of them but they’ll land any barbel that swims. Kieth spheres proved that.

Let’s see what they are really like.
And what does a line rating of 7lb actually mean?

And what does a line rating of 7lb actually mean?
It’s nice to have a guide I wish more manufacturers would do it because you know with a drennan or a daiwa that it’s either in the ball park or way off the mark for what you want. Then you go stage 2.

I’ve handled enough of them over the years now to know at that second stage (actually picking one up) whether or not I’d go with the guided rating. I think most people that have had a lot of rods can usually tell from putting a good bend through the blank what strength of line would work with it and more often than not which is forgotten about….. how much is the rod protecting the line.

Stiffer doesn’t mean bigger fish It means you need a stronger line. A stiff rod isn’t going to protect 4lb line like a softer rod will. So 4lb line becomes an incredibly strong set up through the right rod.

Carbotec was the real crème de la crème when it come to proving just how strong and powerful balanced tackle could be.
I didn’t particularly like mine personally and moved it on quickly but the statistics around those rods with their antilock almost elastic actions showed us just how capable a 2lb bottom really was.

We can knock drennan for just going up a pound on their recommendation rating but in reality if they got that rod right it could be fantastic for barbel with 6-7lb line through it. We’ll never know unless we get one doubled over.

It’s nice to have a guide I wish more manufacturers would do it because you know with a drennan or a daiwa that it’s either in the ball park or way off the mark for what you want. Then you go stage 2.

I’ve handled enough of them over the years now to know at that second stage (actually picking one up) whether or not I’d go with the guided rating. I think most people that have had a lot of rods can usually tell from putting a good bend through the blank what strength of line would work with it and more often than not which is forgotten about….. how much is the rod protecting the line.

Stiffer doesn’t mean bigger fish It means you need a stronger line. A stiff rod isn’t going to protect 4lb line like a softer rod will. So 4lb line becomes an incredibly strong set up through the right rod.

Carbotec was the real crème de la crème when it come to proving just how strong and powerful balanced tackle could be.
I didn’t particularly like mine personally and moved it on quickly but the statistics around those rods with their antilock almost elastic actions showed us just how capable a 2lb bottom really was.

We can knock drennan for just going up a pound on their recommendation rating but in reality if they got that rod right it could be fantastic for barbel with 6-7lb line through it. We’ll never know unless we get one doubled over.

The point I was trying to make, is what do they mean by 7lb? Take Drennan Specimen Camo XT in 6lb...it breaks at just over 8.5lb. Same with Daiwa sensor in 6lb. Yet Guru PP in 6.1lb breaks at 6.4lb. It would be maybe more helpful if, in the case on mono, just quoted diameters?

Didn’t realize you were referring to a mk 11. I certainly wouldn’t put 8lb through that. They have a softer action than the 3000

You mentioned the guides were better. What guides are on your mk11 rods
I thought they were A frame Ti guides same as 2000/3000

I don't find the action to be softer.
Stand off fuji S.I.Cs on the mkIIs.
Nothing wrong with the 2 and 3000 guides, they just weren't as stand off.

Yeah I like a nice stand off on a guide I must admit.

I only briefly pulled on Chris’s mk 11 avenger so not the best test by a long way.
Lovely rod….. I’m a fan
(Im not a fan of the blank finish though)
To me it felt substantially softer and more through actioned than a 3000. Quite a big difference in action type and stiffness.

I think mk11 rods share a lot of the carbotec qualities and not in a bad way.

Personally I think the 3000 is too stiff at 13ft and the mk11 action at 13ft is nicer.
At 15ft it’s another story entirely and that’s where the 3000 really really shines for me.

Back