• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan float rods

Yes, it's a rod to sit on rests.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick regarding the power rankings I gave my rods. they were only relative to the other rods of the same length I listed. The five for the Freespirit was a joke purely because it's so damned powerful that giving it a four (i.e. the most powerful of the four 13' rods I listed) might make it seem much less powerful than it actually is. It's way more powerful than any other float rod I've had my sticky mitts on. Even if the new Acolyte Specimen Float is quite a bit more powerful than I'm expecting it to be, I still very much doubt it'll come close to that beast of a Freespirit. The Hi-S are also nowhere near it.
Ah ok. I just ranked these out of 5 in terms of 1 being super soft and light lines and 5 being super brutal.

You’re right regarding the new hi s rods. I thought they were the same blanks as the originals but they are not.
Lighter yes but substantially less power especially in the middle

It's way more powerful than any other float rod I've had my sticky mitts on.
The only one that I would say gets near it is the maver nembo power at 14ft.
That’s close with a measured test curve of 1lb 3oz.
The TFG is also powerful that’s around 1lb Tc

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick regarding the power rankings I gave my rods. they were only relative to the other rods of the same length I listed. The five for the Freespirit was a joke purely because it's so damned powerful that giving it a four (i.e. the most powerful of the four 13' rods I listed) might make it seem much less powerful than it actually is. It's way more powerful than any other float rod I've had my sticky mitts on. Even if the new Acolyte Specimen Float is quite a bit more powerful than I'm expecting it to be, I still very much doubt it'll come close to that beast of a Freespirit. The Hi-S are also nowhere near it.
Daiwa spectron xp 14f 221g (3)
Free spirit (original) hi s power 15ft 213g (3)
Normarks avenger 2000 13ft 175g (1)
Normark avenger 3000 13ft 175g (2)
Maver nembo 14ft power 221g (5)
TFG TSI 15ft power 186g (4)

This probably makes more sense then 👍🏻😊

Have you handled Harrison interceptor su float rod ? That’s the most powerful float rod I’ve ever used, capable of casting 2oz lead…

Have you handled Harrison interceptor su float rod ? That’s the most powerful float rod I’ve ever used, capable of casting 2oz lead…
No, not the Interceptor. I've had a GTi SU (possibly 2xSU) in the past that was a bit pokey. I've never been too keen on Harrison float rods. It's high time that they brought them up to date. I was told that it was being considered about fifteen years back. I'm pleased I didn't hold my breath!
I doubt that the lumpy FS would have any issues with 2oz. Bloody useless trying to cast floats at the smaller end of the spectrum. It needs a decent weight to load the blank to cast properly. Use too small a float and you'll struggle to get it very far.

I had a stepped up GTI. It was a beautiful looking rod but just too nose heavy for my liking.
I sold it for more than I paid for it so obviously some people still like em

No, not the Interceptor. I've had a GTi SU (possibly 2xSU) in the past that was a bit pokey. I've never been too keen on Harrison float rods. It's high time that they brought them up to date. I was told that it was being considered about fifteen years back. I'm pleased I didn't hold my breath!
I doubt that the lumpy FS would have any issues with 2oz. Bloody useless trying to cast floats at the smaller end of the spectrum. It needs a decent weight to load the blank to cast properly. Use too small a float and you'll struggle to get it very far.
Yes, Harrison definitely need to upgrade their float rod, I am not a fan of them, way too heavy. But a good deal if only cost you 50.

Nice one for the reviews on power it’s blooming useful, I’m using more and more my new style hi s blank 13ft float as a general rounder it’s defo not as beastly as the previous generation. I use it crucian fishing and river fishing as it tames any rouge tench or things but you can still have fun and not bump smaller fish if I’m scratching its the ultra all day long

I only fish small rivers so use 11ft rods
I have a cadence 11ft no 3 weighs 157g 3G less than stated it has some power in the butt but a bit to soft in the tip for me
Ive also got a ctx waggler s weighs 207g 10g more than stated I was surprised by the weight as doesn’t feel that heavy butt section alone weighs 183g which is the same as the whole ctx 11ft power feeder which has a thicker blank 25mm butt ring
but the waggler feels slightly lighter with less power so i dont think weight is to important

Nice one for the reviews on power it’s blooming useful, I’m using more and more my new style hi s blank 13ft float as a general rounder it’s defo not as beastly as the previous generation. I use it crucian fishing and river fishing as it tames any rouge tench or things but you can still have fun and not bump smaller fish if I’m scratching its the ultra all day long
I do like the new version of Hi s rods. The 15footer and 17footer are no slouch despite showing obvious signs that they are softer actions when compared directly with my original.
They’ll still take a 6-8lb main line and they’ll still turn a big fish from the snag, free spirit have just made them more through actioned than before.
The handles I really like . Shorter, thicker cork and a quality screw down seat that takes any reel. Impressive weight stats too. I would still class the new version as a powerful float rod capable of landing big fish if the man behind it isn’t worried about getting leant in. Sadly I returned my 17ft version due to a small fault that didn’t seem to get rectified. I’m not going into details on it as free spirit were very good about it and that’s that.

i dont think weight is to important
I agree entirely. And the normark end caps weighing nearly an ounce goes to show a low figure is far less important than a well distributed high figure. Take that cap away and the 30 year old 2000 becomes acolyte weight.
Daiwas are a classic example. That chunky armlock design on the high end daiwa along with a 41mm stand off butt guide adds stacks of weight to the butt section.
If you just compared middles and tips you’d probably find a daiwa to be in there with the feather weights.

Spliced tip rods are probably the worst for feeling a little unbalanced and a tad nose heavy. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love spliced tip rods and can deal with it just fine but with 500-600mm of solid carbon on the end, you can definitely feel it especially on a long rod no matter how light it is.
doesn’t bother me too much though the characteristics of a long spliced tip out weigh a little nose weight for me

Last edited:
£269 is rrp for 15ft I was told

I switched from Acolyte Plus float rods to 13ft and 15ft Daiwa Connoisseurs (not the Power versions). The Daiwa's are about £170.00, a bit heavier, but a replacement tip for an Acolyte Plus is £90.00 and around £50.00 for the Daiwa.

I've always liked Drennan, but on the whole I think Daiwa offer just as nice a rod and much better value for money.

I switched from Acolyte Plus float rods to 13ft and 15ft Daiwa Connoisseurs (not the Power versions). The Daiwa's are about £170.00, a bit heavier, but a replacement tip for an Acolyte Plus is £90.00 and around £50.00 for the Daiwa.

I've always liked Drennan, but on the whole I think Daiwa offer just as nice a rod and much better value for money.
I’m yet to get my hands around a new version of the conny.
As far as I know all the models are rated for 8lb lines so I’d guess they’ve got some guts.

I’m yet to get my hands around a new version of the conny.
As far as I know all the models are rated for 8lb lines so I’d guess they’ve got some guts.

I had a play with a friends 14ft daiwa conny rod a few weeks back, and to be fair, it felt every bit as good as my Dave Harrell tournament rs pf rods.

I orderd a 13ft accy specimen float rod from my local tackle shop today 😁, fingers crossed i'm still smilin' when it's deliverd and I go pick it up !

I had a play with a friends 14ft daiwa conny rod a few weeks back, and to be fair, it felt every bit as good as my Dave Harrell tournament rs pf rods.

I orderd a 13ft accy specimen float rod from my local tackle shop today 😁, fingers crossed i'm still smilin' when it's deliverd and I go pick it up !
Is that one of the newer connoisseur rods Ian?

I don’t have much of an opinion on connys. I’ve not owned or used any of them in fishing situations.
I’ve only handled one or two over the years and always felt they seemed lovely rods. Like a lot of diawa rods I’m sure they shared the same blanks around between afew models.

Spectrons, tourneys, connys …, they are all very similar acting feeling looking blanks with subtle changes in action to suit where the rod should be placed in terms of power.
I think they are all practically the same blanks tbh.

I don’t have much of an opinion on connys. I’ve not owned or used any of them in fishing situations.
I’ve only handled one or two over the years and always felt they seemed lovely rods. Like a lot of diawa rods I’m sure they shared the same blanks around between afew models.

Spectrons, tourneys, connys …, they are all very similar acting feeling looking blanks with subtle changes in action to suit where the rod should be placed in terms of power.
I think they are all practically the same blanks tbh.

I'm not a fan of daiwa rods anymore, reason being i've have had so many arrive with miss aligned or bent guides, top sections that go off on an angle from the joint or bend round etc. I'm talkin' their higher end uk made rods, not the cheaper stuff made abroad. To be honest, from what i've seen the rods assembled abroad are finnished off to a much higher standard!
After having so many brand new daiwa rods arrive with faults, and had to return them, it's kind'a put me off daiwa rods. It's a shame, the faults were always blatant and easy to see, so should never have passed inspection to be sent out to shops.

I'm not a fan of daiwa rods anymore, reason being i've have had so many arrive with miss aligned or bent guides, top sections that go off on an angle from the joint or bend round etc. I'm talkin' their higher end uk made rods, not the cheaper stuff made abroad. To be honest, from what i've seen the rods assembled abroad are finnished off to a much higher standard!
After having so many brand new daiwa rods arrive with faults, and had to return them, it's kind'a put me off daiwa rods. It's a shame, the faults were always blatant and easy to see, so should never have passed inspection to be sent out to shops.
Oh Christ that’s not good
Must admit I’ve got afew Daiwas and always found them to be spot on
The guides on mine are the Fuji sic high stand offs which are so strong and awesome.

My only criticism I’ve had with daiwa is the tightness of the joints. I mean I’ve physically had to rub down male spigot v joints just to get em on. That’s the only thing mind. My 2 speccys are my favorite and I’d happily have a conny z mk11 or a RS F in 14ft. I think Daiwas definitely work best at that length.

Same. I had to rub down the spigots on my 15ft connoisseur. You’d think that’d be something they picked up in QC. Anyway, it is a lovely rod.

Back