• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New British record

Paul Boyle

Its been 8 years now ...21lb1 oz Great Ouse British record ,does anyone think it may go this coming season?
It would be pretty inspiring if
it did :).

Will it be the mighty TRENT or Wensum perhaps ?

Inspiring thoughts only please :)

Last edited:
I was hoping for my local Colne, however, I'm also going to win the lottery this Sat.

Richard, with predation on the increase it had crossed my mind that in many smaller rivers the likelihood of a new record may be diminishing over time.

Yes, Anthony, I hear what you say. However, there are still a few small rivers unblighted by the kind of predation that have decimated some. I remain optimistic (not for my own success, necessarily).

Richard, with predation on the increase it had crossed my mind that in many smaller rivers the likelihood of a new record may be diminishing over time.

Which reminds me of a frequent poster that claimed his local was soon to be devastated by otters a season or two ago - done a new river record 17lb+ last March! Anyone tuned in to the vine will be well aware of a fish knocking on the door of the national record - don't expect it's location to be widely talked about on here though. Just flick through the river records list and there's plenty gone in the last few years - read about a brace for 30lb from the Great Ouse back end of last season - thought that river had been wiped out?!! :rolleyes:

Ever ready to have a dig young Andrew, you rascal :D:D Thankfully, the critters reportedly seen below my stretch, which alarmed me so much....were either mink mistakenly identified as otters, or a figment of someone's imagination. It may even be that they were otters, but decided to go back from whence they came. I gather they will not take up residence in areas where dog excrement is present on the bank to any extent...and lord knows there is masses of that on my local :D Either way, there have been no sightings reported since. My local is a small, shallowish river, and much of it runs through/near heavily populated areas...so I think it unlikely there are any otters present, or they would surely have been seen. Thank gawd :rolleyes:

As for the fish you mention....it was only claimed at a few ounces bigger than the previous record, and without proper authentication and scales checks etc. taking place (as in those required for a national record to be upheld)...I would not necessarily assume it was exactly the weight claimed. Not that I am suggesting for one second that deliberate deception has taken place...it is just that virtually all scales may easily be a few ounces out, which is why they are checked and the claimed weight adjusted to suit once a national record has been claimed. If the fish had been a pound or two bigger, THEN I would have sat up and taken notice :D

Incidentally, your short term memory loss must be worse than mine...and I am 70 this year. That post you mention was only a matter of months back, not 'a season or two'. It must be all those red herrings you keep swallowing.....

Cheers, Dave.

Back