• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New British record

If I was lucky enough to catch a specimen at or near record size it would be photographed and probably not publicised.The subsequent scramble of specimen barbel anglers on the banks of my favourite river setting up long term bivvies would not be worth it.

It makes me wonder if the barbel record has been broken and not claimed for these reasons.You can't blame anglers for keeping catches and locations of big fish under their hat,the ensuing mayhem on the bank would not be worth it in my opinion.

If I was lucky enough to catch a specimen at or near record size it would be photographed and probably not publicised.The subsequent scramble of specimen barbel anglers on the banks of my favourite river setting up long term bivvies would not be worth it.

It makes me wonder if the barbel record has been broken and not claimed for these reasons.You can't blame anglers for keeping catches and locations of big fish under their hat,the ensuing mayhem on the bank would not be worth it in my opinion.

Steve . You don't have to say where a fish was caught . Say it was a Trent fish , that is one long river and would require a very large number of fish chasers to cover it's banks. !

Absolutely agree with that, Mike.

I can't imagine even the most publicity-shy (for whatever reason) angler not claiming a national record. River records are something else entirely.

Second option here, the nene on one of the backwaters or possibly even off a nearby area of main rive. Been fishing really well over last couple of seasons, and could be an outside bet for a really special fish.

Absolutely agree with that, Mike.

I can't imagine even the most publicity-shy (for whatever reason) angler not claiming a national record. River records are something else entirely.

Some waters/clubs have a strict no publicity rule, however, if i were fortunate enough to catch a record, not very likely i admit, following a friends example i would submit as , for example, a Wessex River. For a national record i dont think you need to specify the river

Well I don't think I'll be claiming a new record-had 1 barbel on the opening day of 2lbs and a chub touching 5lbs.(from a Notts river):D

Nevertheless it was an enjoyable day,I met some old friends,made some new ones and saw lots of wildlife in lovely surroundings.I even had a kingfisher settle on the end of the rod for a short time.Who needs records :)

Back