• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New bivvy????

Thought i would add to this.

With regards to the bivies with clip in inners, they do take away some of the space. I have the Nash Double Top, comes with the inner capsule, never do the door up, but it does enclose you and should you be in a mozzy area, you will be safe, until you have to do the door down.

The floor bit is a thin tarp ripstop material which does make some noise, i don't think that you can class it as a twin skin as standard as all it is, is a mesh. If you are going to fish in winter, you want a thicker groundsheet to stop the cold penetrating up.

I was out last month when it was down to -8, i had no condensation, but that was only due to the fact i had a cabrio flak jacket over the bivvy, making it what i would call a proper twin skin.

It does have the back flaps so in summer you can get an airflow.

thats interesting mark , seems a great bivvy , did you manage to watch full video ? it kept stopping half way through on me

Now watched full video and well impressed , might give them a call as winter skin on at £149 but also in offers at £95 so could get bivvy and skin for either £425 or £370

Just had another look and the winter skin on offer is not the h20loc one its just the standard one so will be £425 and free post , am definitely swinging towards one of these

still a saving of over £100 on a armo and trakkers build quality has not been as good as it was in the last couple of years, no brainer

Yeah and if the information on the site is right they are going for a great after sales service .Think my paypal account is going to have a few pounds added to it :)

For me I'm deffinately going to go for the armo tempest I'm not too keen on bivvies with a peak and want something with a bit of room and doesn't weigh a massive amount, il be getting the overwrap for the cold nights like I was fishing in on Friday (-14), but then again no amount of warmth in a bivvy will stop the eyes freezing up :D

Well after 26 years of chasing puddle hippos i've had & seen most types of bivvys on the the market??? from canvas overwraps to nash vipers all the armos etc etc n without doubt the best i used was a pioneer ultralite!!!! but it depends what style of angling you do??? if you take everything bar the kitchen sink then no point really as what the point if it takes you two mins to take the bivvy down then a hour to pack the rest of your gear away chances are you will look round the bivvy n go sod that ill camp here n wait but if your a mobile angler (as mobile as you can be with abivvy the pioneer ultralite all the way been in some right storms with it never let me down.
As for warmth second skin they hardly make any difference just cut down on condensation far better off buying a decent sleeping bag n trakker peachskin bedchair cover.
Hope this helps
Mark

I also have the ultralite and it is the dogs for me, not a pram hood fan but as far as pram hoods go it looks a cracking bivvy and for the price WOW!!

Well after 26 years of chasing puddle hippos i've had & seen most types of bivvys on the the market??? from canvas overwraps to nash vipers all the armos etc etc n without doubt the best i used was a pioneer ultralite!!!! but it depends what style of angling you do??? if you take everything bar the kitchen sink then no point really as what the point if it takes you two mins to take the bivvy down then a hour to pack the rest of your gear away chances are you will look round the bivvy n go sod that ill camp here n wait but if your a mobile angler (as mobile as you can be with abivvy the pioneer ultralite all the way been in some right storms with it never let me down.
As for warmth second skin they hardly make any difference just cut down on condensation far better off buying a decent sleeping bag n trakker peachskin bedchair cover.
Hope this helps
Mark

Hi mark, thanks for your reply Iv only just got back into fishing this season and Iv been using the Jrc defender brolly system in summer which to be honest is an outstanding bit of kit and can withold galeforce winds, think my problem is I'm a bit of a tackle tart :D . As for moving pegs I don't really tend to move about as I normally go and bivvy up for two three nights at a time. The time in taking it down and erecting it doesn't really affect me as I like to get everything perfect and comfortable so I am happy spending a couple of hours setting up and I pack away gradually and take the bivvy down last off. But the thing is I don't like pram style bivvies (personal preference :D ) the tempest has bags of room and doesnt weigh too much and I can get the bedchair right to the back of it. As first posted I'm more than happy to have a look about first mate.
Thanks

Hi mark, thanks for your reply Iv only just got back into fishing this season and Iv been using the Jrc defender brolly system in summer which to be honest is an outstanding bit of kit and can withold galeforce winds, think my problem is I'm a bit of a tackle tart :D . As for moving pegs I don't really tend to move about as I normally go and bivvy up for two three nights at a time. The time in taking it down and erecting it doesn't really affect me as I like to get everything perfect and comfortable so I am happy spending a couple of hours setting up and I pack away gradually and take the bivvy down last off. But the thing is I don't like pram style bivvies (personal preference :D ) the tempest has bags of room and doesnt weigh too much and I can get the bedchair right to the back of it. As first posted I'm more than happy to have a look about first mate.
Thanks

Oi....Wayne :D In your previous post you say you don't like bivvies with a peak, and in this one you don't like the pram style versions either....and yet you have said you don't have much experience of bivvies :eek: Trouble is, being (as you admit) a tackle tart doesn't keep you warm and dry....but those two features you don't like MAY help. Like....if you DID have a peak....then you wouldn't need to get your bed chair 'right to the back of it' to avoid rain from awkward directions getting on it :D Similarly, your other reason for liking the Tempest is because it doesn't weigh too much....and then you mention taking the overwrap. I have to tell you mate, the Tempest + overwrap together probably weighs more than the other bivvies you are dismissing 'cos they are 'too heavy' :p

Only pulling yer leg Wayne, the choice is entirely yours mate....just enjoy whatever you do end up with....but as you say, have a look AND a think before you finally decide :D

Cheers, Dave.

Oi....Wayne :D In your previous post you say you don't like bivvies with a peak, and in this one you don't like the pram style versions either....and yet you have said you don't have much experience of bivvies :eek: Trouble is, being (as you admit) a tackle tart doesn't keep you warm and dry....but those two features you don't like MAY help. Like....if you DID have a peak....then you wouldn't need to get your bed chair 'right to the back of it' to avoid rain from awkward directions getting on it :D Similarly, your other reason for liking the Tempest is because it doesn't weigh too much....and then you mention taking the overwrap. I have to tell you mate, the Tempest + overwrap together probably weighs more than the other bivvies you are dismissing 'cos they are 'too heavy' :p

Only pulling yer leg Wayne, the choice is entirely yours mate....just enjoy whatever you do end up with....but as you say, have a look AND a think before you finally decide :D

Cheers, Dave.

Got it in one !! if you buy a pram hood style bivvy then the peak is a BIG must, they were designed to stop rain pouring into the slanted door / front profile of the original Armadillos, The Tempest, block aside, is essentially a Titan rip off ( The best bivvy design ever to quote Chris Manifold of all people ! ) has a flatter front profile, as has the Pioneers so they don't need them.
The one thing to check before you buy any bivvy,Wayne, but especially a pram hood is that the fabric is taught, otherwise the whole thing just flaps around in any sort of wind which is not good !
Talking of Titans, i would have a good look at them before you buy, by all accounts the quality control issues of old have been sorted ? and as a bivvy design they are very very good. Anybody got one of the new ones who can comment ?

Last edited:
Got it in one !! if you buy a pram hood style bivvy then the peak is a BIG must, they were designed to stop rain pouring into the slanted door / front profile of the original Armadillos, The Tempest, block aside, is essentially a Titan rip off ( The best bivvy design ever to quote Chris Manifold of all people ! ) has a flatter front profile, as has the Pioneers so they don't need them.
The one thing to check before you buy any bivvy,Wayne, but especially a pram hood is that the fabric is taught, otherwise the whole thing just flaps around in any sort of wind which is not good !
Talking of Titans, i would have a good look at them before you buy, by all accounts the quality control issues of old have been sorted ? and as a bivvy design they are very very good. Anybody got one of the new ones who can comment ?

Nope....still got one of the early originals in usable condition though :p They were great bivvies, all you had to do was remove the pivot pins that passed through the block, drill through and replace them with stainless steel cap-head bolts and nyloc nuts and washers....solid as a rock :D They were not big bivvies, but ideal for smaller swims, light and extremely wind and rain proof. The problems arose when Kevin changed from these originals which had the 'Slippery Eel' fabric, and went to another supplier....then things went downhill for a while :p

Cheers, Dave.

Nope....still got one of the early originals in usable condition though :p They were great bivvies, all you had to do was remove the pivot pins that passed through the block, drill through and replace them with stainless steel cap-head bolts and nyloc nuts and washers....solid as a rock :D They were not big bivvies, but ideal for smaller swims, light and extremely wind and rain proof. The problems arose when Kevin changed from these originals which had the 'Slippery Eel' fabric, and went to another supplier....then things went downhill for a while :p

Cheers, Dave.

Aah Slippery Eel, the last word in condensation :D, I had an Oval brolly and sides that were covered in that, Slippery Eel AND Condensation i mean :eek:
I changed it for a 60" Aqua brolly system in the end which was home for many a year before it lost a very one sided fight with the wind on top of a ressy wall !!

The tapes still on your Titan then Dave ?

Just got the Trakker Tempest set up is a doddle bags of room immense bit of kit just got to put it to the test.

Back