• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New bivvy????

Looked at them Mark but was bit perturbed that there was no erection video plus not sure about the clip in inner , noticed on the pics round the point where all the poles reach the ground there appears to be some kind of elastic and not sure what its for

I'm not sure sure what you mean by elastic Bob unless you mean the tensioners on the pegging points?? I have seen other bivvies with the clip in inner e.g nash double top and trakker SL dome and there not a problem. Infact its that feature that I want in my next bivvie as I hate creepy crawlies:eek:

I was going for the Trakker SL dome untill I saw the vision as I'm sure he material will be much improved on the standard nylon. I'v haven't seen the Vision in the flesh but have to spoke to some serious carpers who are more than happy

Hi Bob, I have had a Cyfish for 4 seasons and allthough a good bivvy it does suffer from condensation if used as a single skin. I myself will be changing mine for the coming season, after lots of trawling about i think i have settled on this.

Kashkym Pro Dome 1 Man --- Ultimate Direct Factory Outlet Store

There windtex material is similar to the aquatex stuff but is a fraction of the cost

Hi Mark, I note you haven't seen one of your current favourites in the flesh yet. I am not familiar with that model, and it may well be fine, but years ago most of the bivvies I saw with a 'clip in' style, separate inner were not that good. The main outer was often reasonable, but that inner bit was usually a thin, cotton like fabric that did precious little....and didn't last long :mad:

As I say, things may have changed now, and that one may be the dogs danglies...but I urge you to take a look before you buy.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
No I haven't Dave, but like i said I have seen others with the same design. The main purpose of them is to keep the inner part completely sealed from bugs etc which I think can only be a good thing:D My main reason for settling on the vision was the material used which is breathable just like Trakker aquatex which I can only see as a big improvement on the usual nylon.

Bob mentions the MK2 Armo which is twice the price as the Vision, if you were to remove the inner part you would be left with a bivvie which is very similar to the armo for half the price;)

Bivvies

Hi lads, looking for a new bivvy and just wanted to see what a popular bivvy is for the long sessions must be very suitable for the harshest of winters aswel as the gorgeous summers (when we get them)
I have had a browse on the net I like the Nash s7 but weighs more than a double decker bus, also theres the Trakker tempest which seems great aswel. What do you use for the long sessions?
Thanks

I would go on to the Cemex site and ask the same question. The carpers live and breathe this sort of stuff, more so than barbelers.

I like the Nash s7 but weighs more than a double decker bus

It certainly does but, if you are going to be using a full on bivvy, just how much moving around are you expecting to do? Unless you plan to be genuinely mobile, what real difference does even several kilos make? Certainly not a great deal when you are either driving to a peg or using a barrow. However, if you like the S7, but want to shed some weight, look at the S3. It's essentially a stripped out S7.
I bought the S3 for buttons as they sold them off. I fancied the S7 but couldn't really justify the outlay. I really like my S3, not that it has come out barbelling more than three times in the last eighteen months. Overnight barbelling is a very rare thing for me.

No I haven't Dave, but like i said I have seen others with the same design. The main purpose of them is to keep the inner part completely sealed from bugs etc which I think can only be a good thing:D My main reason for settling on the vision was the material used which is breathable just like Trakker aquatex which I can only see as a big improvement on the usual nylon.

Bob mentions the MK2 Armo which is twice the price as the Vision, if you were to remove the inner part you would be left with a bivvie which is very similar to the armo for half the price;)

I have had several bivvies, my last being an original Mk1 Armo, and rate it very highly....but not something you would want to hump around unless you had a barrow, or could drive to your swim, and were staying for several days. It's heavy, suffers from condensation unless you use the separate over wrap....and is not bug proof :p However, it is bullet proof and has survived some outrageous thunderstorms and gales. It's all horses for courses mate, and if that one you are looking at is as good as the wonderful :)rolleyes:) Mr. Coulson implies, it may be just the job.

Just bear in mind that while you are in a bivvy, it is the inner skin which takes all the rubbing, scraping and bashing with bedchair ends and legs, spare gear rammed under the bed and down the back, tackle boxes pushed up onto it and whatever else you get up to in there :p

Cheers, Dave.

I use the traker a.lite bivvie and used a few times now and its not a bad bivvie any 1 else used this bivvie.

Dont mind the bugs , the armo mk2 came into the frame because of the rear air vents which would have thought during summer would stop condensation and would look at getting over wrap for winter ,if i can find somewhere with the vision in will have a look ,

Just managed to enlarge pic of the where the poles join up and the elastics are attached to the covers on the poles and appear to have to be tightened and all wrapped round a peg , not seen this on any other bivvy

Dont mind the bugs , the armo mk2 came into the frame because of the rear air vents which would have thought during summer would stop condensation and would look at getting over wrap for winter ,if i can find somewhere with the vision in will have a look ,

Bob, if you can afford a mk2 and over wrap then go for it but as you mentioned the cyfish I thought your budget may of been tight which is why i mentioned the Vision. There deffo worth a look, i think climax stock them so maybe worth a drive over

planning a trip to climax one saturday on way to Sheffield to see kids , best allow quite a bit more time

Bob,
While you're there have a look at the Trakker Pioneer (Ultralite or Specimen)

Bob,
While you're there have a look at the Trakker Pioneer (Ultralite or Specimen)

I've had an Aqua Pioneer Ultralite since they first came out, i think its superb, its easy to put up, dead rigid and the fabric keeps condensation to i minimum even with the front off and the groundsheet in the car ! The only quibble i would have is that its definitely not ULTRALITE ! for that you need an Aqualite or a Carbon compact if you're feeling extravagant :)
I've had a few bivvies over the years starting with a Send marketing one that replaced a sheet of polythene (Them were the days !) and the Ultralite suits my purposes as well or better than anything else to date.

For me I'm deffinately going to go for the armo tempest I'm not too keen on bivvies with a peak and want something with a bit of room and doesn't weigh a massive amount, il be getting the overwrap for the cold nights like I was fishing in on Friday (-14), but then again no amount of warmth in a bivvy will stop the eyes freezing up :D

Will have a good look at them all , prefer the pram hood style bivvy but might have to reconsider

Best value for money pramhood by miles is the Chub Vizor. Quality material front and rear vents etc and loads cheaper than the equivalent armo. The tempest is a nice bivvy but the price with an overwrap is just a joke for what is basically a tent. Also quite a few threads on carp forums about problems with the tempest so be warned it might not be that brilliant. Personally in 30 years of carping and session fishing the vizor is the best value quality bivvy i've had and trust me i've been through loads over the years.
For me if i used a shelter while barbeling it would have to be a brolly system with a zip in front section such as the JRC stealth of Fox warrior, strip it right back to a brolly for the milder summer nights or zip in the front section if the weather turns bad. Far easier to carry than full blown bivvy systems and far more suited to being mobile or the shorter sessions barbel anglers do compared with long stay carpers.

In summer when not got extreme weather then fish under korum stromshield brolly but even in summer the trent can be inhospitable , so much choice and considering its the biggest piece of tackle we will buy you have to try and get it right , love mt jrc sti 1 man but its a pain have to use both skins all the time

Back