• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Near record barbel

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic to know that such fish are out there in rivers perhaps not naturally thought of as being home to such beasts. You can't beat a bit of fishy mystery. The last thing that should be done is give this fish a name.

Me to ! I'm quite happy in my own little world...it doesn't stop me admiring such a great fish and offering my congratulations..:)......but, if it did get out where it was caught it would make my rivers even quieter..:D

Hi men.

I like all the guessing games , makes the day go along don't it !:D. Ain't it funny , I'm on the trail of a little bit of river where the fish are only small , but choosing to try and get in it because of the chance to stalk , to watch the fish feeding , to have no nitwits around , we are at the opposite end of the scale :p .

TBH it's to be expected , if the stretch is to be kept secret ( as much as it can be anyway ) , then the choice is there not to publish it ?, but its a barbel over 20lb , and is historic . To me its nice to know its alive in theses hard times for big fish , so well done that fella !

Hatter

Can you confirm Keith it was caught on the Mersey?

Clive..................The Mersey? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Yes, of course you are absolutely right!:rolleyes::p

And Dave is happy enough for me to post up a picture, once the comics have had their day!!
You will learn a lot from the images!

Last edited:
Barbel fanatics are queuing up to speculate about the whiskers, claiming it to be the famous specimen Keith Speer landed on the float in snow conditions at a weight of 17lb 15oz, back in 2010.

??????? your thoughts Keith?

If it was the Mersey, surely it must have been foul-hooked as it floated by, belly-up!

You joke, but it was found dead Saturday morning approx 1/2 mile downstream from where it was last known to have been caught. I know the guy very well who found it (who is an angler), and have seen the pics he took on his mobile phone, (he walks his dog along the stretch). He did drag its corpse onto dry land but the recent rains washed it back in again. Would have been a nice fish to have set up. A great shame, loss to the river and barbel fishing. RIP Split Pec.

Well the jungle drums have been sending there messages, so I can now reveal the spot where it was actually caught, sorry but its the freedom of the press in the news has just got me thinking picture of the swim below.....

Its between the two white bits at each end, good luck

Attachments

• future record barbel peg.jpg
    future record barbel peg.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 232
Well done to the captor craking fish!!!!! (If only)

You joke, but it was found dead Saturday morning approx 1/2 mile downstream from where it was last known to have been caught. I know the guy very well who found it (who is an angler), and have seen the pics he took on his mobile phone, (he walks his dog along the stretch). He did drag its corpse onto dry land but the recent rains washed it back in again. Would have been a nice fish to have set up. A great shame, loss to the river and barbel fishing. RIP Split Pec.

Is this a wind up? If not it should be a separate thread, if it is then it's in poor taste and should be removed.

Could only have come from the River Pinn.........:)

Can't have been my fish as she was reported killed by an Otter in the comics a year ago.

congratulations what a superb bertie, and it defo a nene fish from my beat. day tickets £5 concessions £3 !.

If it was the Mersey, surely it must have been foul-hooked as it floated by, belly-up!

Anthony, are you saying its polluted ?, Are you some sort of authority on the river ? if so, then please explain. The locals who fish off the wall, by the customs buildings don,t do too badly, codlings, flatties etc. Even the odd octopus, which i,m told is the sign of a very clean river. Or are we talking about a completely different stretch, away from the city.

Last edited:
Back