• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Near record barbel

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
According to the front cover of tomorrows Angling Times they are featuring a record shaking 20lb 7oz barbel. Looks very interesting.

thats certainly a proper kipper and fair play to the old boy who caught it, not exactly keeping it on the quiet side though, i bet the other anglers who fish that particular stretch of river are gonna be well chuffed with the influx of barbel anglers chasing what could be in a year or so a possible british record.

True but monumental fish though.

No point asking as neither the captor nor his fishing mates will tell.
What I can say is that no one will ever guess where it came from, the venue is completely off all the chasers radar and as you chaps already know, a gentleman will never tell.:)

And you cannot see anything from the background of the image.

It was caught by Dave Currell using a maggot feeder.

I will ask Dave if he is OK with an image appearing here, Dave currently does not have a computer and he asked me to help with the distribution.

What I can say is that I fish with Dave all the time and I am honestly delighted for him, he is a bloody good angler, a top bloke and a good mate, we have been together when we have had a number of proper Barbel and I well know his determination and work ethic, this fish was very much deserved and I can only congratulate him.

Of course I would never say that to his face and the only thing he will get from me is plenty of stick.

Mind you I know he would swap that fish for a 3lb Roach from a river by design and so would I!!

Can we just say its the ouse so it keeps the crowd off my special bit of river, yes thats it it was definitely the great ouse!!!

Hi Patrick, did you say the Kennet. Then yes you are absolutely right

Sorry Patrick I mis-read your post, you said the Ouse!

Yes you are absolutely right!

578023_617902561557113_1393212052_n.jpg

Never been a chaser never will I've known of monumental fish venues ect not my style. But the thought of big undisturbed unknown barbel fires the imagination.

Never been a chaser never will I've known of monumental fish venues ect not my style. But the thought of big undisturbed unknown barbel fires the imagination.

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic to know that such fish are out there in rivers perhaps not naturally thought of as being home to such beasts. You can't beat a bit of fishy mystery. The last thing that should be done is give this fish a name.

Yes Dave had the record from the Ouse at 16lb 10oz (I think or maybe 16lb 11oz), Bowler nicked it off him over the matter of an ounce.

The BRFC deducted 2oz from Dave's fish because the inept plonker at weights and measures added a third column to the certificate stating a variance of + or - 2 oz's so they deducted 2 oz.

On Dave's scales they were 2oz light up to 10lb and 2 oz heavy over 20lb but at the given weight they were bang on.

Unlucky really as Dave is so fussy about weighing fish, which is why I got him to weigh the 17lb 15oz fish I had, as Dave has said so often you can lie to others but there is no point trying to lie to yourself.

Not something that would happen now, well not on my watch with the BRFC!!

Crikey, please pass on my congrats Keith, I thought Dave had given up on big barbel ;) Was he dace fishing at the time?

Weeklies are worth a buy this week for sure with a massive Zander too apparently.

Nick....The Wensum?

Yes, you are absolutely right.

Crooky, Dace fishing?
I know Currells mind wanders a bit but he did remember to do it right on THIS occasion!;)

As you well know from when Dave and I did the Stick Float clinic for Twyford Club, we are good at this stuff, which is why we caught so many Barbel that day:(, well we should have done, it wasn't our fault, if you cannot arrange perfect conditions!:)

Last edited:
What a superb capture. At least it's been caught/reported when no-one can fish for it for three months. The chasers will be fitting a tracking device to his car come the start of the season!!

The most striking thing to me about that picture, other than the fact that it exists of course, is the positioning of his hand and the relative size of his hand compared to the pec. There could be no arguing the weight of that one, even without Keith's endorsement. Perhaps it should be brought out for comparison every time there is a disputed weight on here.

It also gives hope that the long lamented record which was the traveller might one day be eclipsed.

Can I assume that if the location is being officially kept quiet there will be no river record claim going in?

Back