• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Naming stretches.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
I know this is a hot topic.

But why name stretches or sections you are fishing.

Why not just name a river, maybe the club or share with pals via a private message.

It's bad enough when the comics ruin waters. There are so many that just look in on here for information
This post won't please everyone. Don't care.

I know this is a hot topic.

But why name stretches or sections you are fishing.

Why not just name a river, maybe the club or share with pals via a private message.

It's bad enough when the comics ruin waters. There are so many that just look in on here for information
This post won't please everyone. Don't care.
When a BS member and I had access to the 'private' web-site, available to members only (apart from interlopers, friends of members!), lots of the society waters swims had nicknames, known to regular attendees. The names meant nothing to 'outsiders', so were frequented only by 'those-in-the-know'. Some of the swims possibly did get 'poached' but I don't think I ever could not get into one I wanted because of this.
Mike

I wouldn't name stretches personally.

The Lower Thames is about all you'll get from me these days.

It’s even more important to keep venues off the open web, since the number of decent venues has declined so dramatically. I know it’s nice to help people, but really, help catching a few stupid fish, it’s like asking to have your arse wiped. There’s already enough historical info on the web to last a lifetime. People are lazy, not interested in the journey anymore, just want to fast forward to the catch photos and the Facebook bragging. Very sad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't non member access restricted to the minimum information??

Yes Keith. Non-members cannot view River Reports, Social Board, Archived River Reports or the Technical Boards

I'd remove access to the Barbel Talk and Other Species boards also, but it's AndyF's site and he decides.

I'd remove access to the Barbel Talk and Other Species boards also, but it's AndyF's site and he decides.
As soon as you make the entire forum private you stop showing potential members how good the site is and the whole thing disappears down the plug hole. In my opinion, new members are critical to the long term survival of the site, otherwise it becomes very stale, very quickly.

I agree it's not a very good idea to name stretches, simply no need.

Cheers,
Andy

I'd only say "Above Worcester" or "Below Worcester" if I was fishing the Severn (then again, I might say those very same words if I was fishing the WA or the Teme :eek: ;) :eek: )
I think you share only with those who share with you. The only exception I make is sometimes I'd help out if someone was really struggling.

Just my opinion - but too many 'Guest' visitors. Daft to name specific stretches, they might be 'syndicate' of restricted waters BUT they do get poached. Too much easy Information on a plate.
Just now 65 visitors to site, 17 members, 48 guests.

Hi Bob, i often login after work, anywhere between 1.am and 5.am. More often than not, i'm the only member, along with anywhere between 20 - 40 guests. Highest so far ? 53. And thats at silly o'clock.

Hi Bob, i often login after work, anywhere between 1.am and 5.am. More often than not, i'm the only member, along with anywhere between 20 - 40 guests. Highest so far ? 53. And thats at silly o'clock.
So where is the number of members/lurkers displayed Derek? Can't see that info.

Main message board, top right hand side 👍

I'm using a laptop, don't know if its different using a phone.

Last edited:
Just as irritating is people asking if such & such club/stretch fished well last season etc. Lazy angling jumping on other folks hard work and efforts.
I cant agree with that ? ..........take me for example its a 300 mile round trip if I manage 12 trips in a year ( normally 2 or 3 night sessions) I will have had a bloody good year ! ................so any info on how things are fishing is not lazy angling or jumping on other folks hard work its trying to maximise my chances luckily I have had some blinding help from some of the nicest people I have met in over 60 years of Angling the Northern hospitality is alive and well ! if I were not in my twilight years I would move up there too

Aaaah ... now I see! Got my browser set to automatically go to "New Post" for BFW, so I rarely see the main message board. Thanks Derek/Paul.
Eeeeeh, whata lota lurkers eh.
ATBA

I think its a case of using common sense, personally I see so few anglers even on the Wye mid summer that I don't feel any threat in naming stretches. Also clubs like HDAA are very well bailed so poachers soon caught. Appreciate its not like that everywhere though.

As soon as you make the entire forum private you stop showing potential members how good the site is and the whole thing disappears down the plug hole. In my opinion, new members are critical to the long term survival of the site, otherwise it becomes very stale, very quickly.

I agree it's not a very good idea to name stretches, simply no need.

Cheers,
Andy

Agree with that, Andy.
I wouldn't have joined if I hadn't been able to see some of the content....oh, and the fact your online shop had some hooks I like😁

Back