• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Naming stretches.

I have always assumed that named stretches are just a blind to throw people off the trail of the real venue!!

Guess that says more about what a sneaky sod I am than anything else.

Personally I wouldn't dream of even hinting at a stretch on an open forum.

Me too. I'll be no use this coming season as im finding my way but happy to exchange any info via private message.

Open forum . No

Private mesaage . Yes

Are we talking of free stretches or club waters ? Surely club/syndicate water info would be known to all members? All I would want to know is if anyone knows of free stretches where parking is fairly easy, mainly the Thames from Teddington to Shepperton, had a looksie today, years since I fished it and it's all different (East Molesey/Walton), looked nice though.

Are we talking of free stretches or club waters ? Surely club/syndicate water info would be known to all members? All I would want to know is if anyone knows of free stretches where parking is fairly easy, mainly the Thames from Teddington to Shepperton, had a looksie today, years since I fished it and it's all different (East Molesey/Walton), looked nice though.
Google Earth is your Friend.

I cant agree with that ? ..........take me for example its a 300 mile round trip if I manage 12 trips in a year ( normally 2 or 3 night sessions) I will have had a bloody good year ! ................so any info on how things are fishing is not lazy angling or jumping on other folks hard work its trying to maximise my chances luckily I have had some blinding help from some of the nicest people I have met in over 60 years of Angling the Northern hospitality is alive and well ! if I were not in my twilight years I would move up there too

I respect your point of view but its your choice to make a long round trip, I appreciate we all need help in life at different times and for various reasons but speculative questions on the forums to save someone the bother of not making the effort to find out for themselves is not on. Much more satisfying to work things out for yourself.

Many members will be aware of the plethora of specific river groups on Facebook, many of them open to all. It makes me shudder at the amount of detail frequently posted with photos; swim numbers, rigs, bait, captures etc. frequently with live updates. A poachers dream. I feel for the poor angler whose hard won swim has been blown wide open. I'm afraid that the horse has well and truly bolted through social media.

Google Earth is your Friend.
Dave. About 10 or more years ago I gave a presentation at the BS show..
I included a live presentation of Google Earth on how to find hidden bits of the Thames.
At that time probably 95 pc of attendees had never considered it.

Fantastic for finding access points.

Ended up finding opposite bank of Shiplake lock. A superb pretty much unfished weir only accessed by boaters.

Google Earth is fine to an extent, but does it display parking restrictions ? I went to Walton Bridge yesterday, totally changed, and councils are apt to putting in yellow lines at a whim.

when I fished Adams Mill I referred to that stretch as above Kings Lynn, however if you want to name a stretch you fish then go ahead it is your business.

Many members will be aware of the plethora of specific river groups on Facebook, many of them open to all. It makes me shudder at the amount of detail frequently posted with photos; swim numbers, rigs, bait, captures etc. frequently with live updates. A poachers dream. I feel for the poor angler whose hard won swim has been blown wide open. I'm afraid that the horse has well and truly bolted through social media.
Agree totally, lots of waters near us have been exposed and hammered by daily I fished here caught this posts.Facebook pages for each Yorkshire River ,to a certain extent even this forum has just become a bragging page with no consideration for fish ,landowners and other anglers.Dont even get me going about you tube.

Bottom line , if you don't want anyone to know where you caught fish don't tell anyone . I agree that giving very detailed specifics on facebook or on an open forum can lead to pressure on the named stretch, but how do we control information gleaned by anglers seeking advice in tackle shops , or anglers using a guide then telling all their mates what a great day they had and where ? Word of mouth is very efficient means of spreading information .

Last edited:
Dave. About 10 or more years ago I gave a presentation at the BS show..
I included a live presentation of Google Earth on how to find hidden bits of the Thames.
At that time probably 95 pc of attendees had never considered it.

Fantastic for finding access points.

Ended up finding opposite bank of Shiplake lock. A superb pretty much unfished weir only accessed by boaters.

The irony!

:p🤪

Agree totally, lots of waters near us have been exposed and hammered by daily I fished here caught this posts.Facebook pages for each Yorkshire River ,to a certain extent even this forum has just become a bragging page with no consideration for fish ,landowners and other anglers.Dont even get me going about you tube.
I watched a youtube offering recently featuring a lovely looking Yorkshire river I hadn't even considered (until now), even though it's reasonably close to me. The film was such good quality I almost put on my polaroids for a better look! It's a fools game really - completely down to ego and self-promotion.

The you tube wannabies can easily spoil a whole stretch of river , as well as con many a wood be angler into thinking if I fish with such and such product placement bait and where the right emblem on my cap / clothes etc , I can be a instant pot noddle star angler , ow dear ! most half decent anglers I have met over the years will supply good info and great fishing tips on technique based on years of fishing, although I don't fish with a split cane rod ,[ sometimes a pin reel ], I can see the appeal of fishing far from the madding crowd.

Back