• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Naming stretches.

Not as bad as making such a fuss and drawing attention to it like a girl, when only people that fish it or live around the corner of it would have noticed.

Get over it Lee. Jealousy is a sad thing.

Last edited:
What about posting pictures that blatantly give stretches away then creating a post like this. Funny old world isn't it?
Yes.
I decided to look on some FishyB Facebook blog thingy.
Loads of Warks Avon fishy pics with great backgrounds. Wye also.
Really helpful. Thanks Lee

Now gentlemen, please. The season is not yet upon us. I wish you both a fantastic season and the very best of luck if you're fishing tomorrow (and if the river's within its banks). :)

What makes me laugh is that there's a Lee (Lea) thread running concurrently with this in the Barbel Talk forum that gives detailed swim info. A prime example (if there ever was one) of a conversation better done on the River Reports.

What a clever post Colin. I make that three then.

I was simply trying to educate. Obviously failed in your case

Last edited:
Now gentlemen, please. The season is not yet upon us. I wish you both a fantastic season and the very best of luck if you're fishing tomorrow (and if the river's within its banks). :)

What makes me laugh is that there's a Lee (Lea) thread running concurrently with this in the Barbel Talk forum that gives detailed swim info. A prime example (if there ever was one) of a conversation better done on the River Reports.
The upper Lea thread is about very well baillifed club waters and club members are not at all secretive and almost always very forthcoming with information on club waters. That they are very productive stretches is not a secret.

My initial thread was not about any specific post on here.
Just a general observation. As I said initially, sure to be a hot topic.

It related to naming stretches.

It had well considered views and thoughts until an issue about a photo of me holding a fish was again raised after about two years.

No stretch was mentioned then by me. Just the river.

Do we really only want fish on mat photo's here?

Ben. Re blog. I have no argument with what you think. Only that the freely available blog on FB shows fish being held and scenic backgrounds. Exactly the same as the initial and continuous criticism aimed at me.

So. That said. Carry on.

A storm in a teacup IMHO.... maybe somewhat due to a sense of frustration due to flooded rivers on the eve of 'the Glorious'. We post pictures, and sometimes, albeit inadvertently, we give away more than we had intended. We're all faced with the same challenges, and we all (hopefully) mean well. So let's move on eh. We're all brothers of the angle ;)

There’s a big difference between posting a photo of a fish with a back drop which regular visitors may recognise and the same photo with the stretch named. The former informs the already informed few, the latter the hundreds of lazy swim jumping trolls.

Ben, what was wrong with your back and how did you sort it ? I’m still suffering with mine and unlikely to be out barbel fishing for some time ☹️

It's when you catch a PB in a swim people have seen you in etc and you want to tell the world. You know if you do post or tell anyone, well that swim is out of the bag. Getting to a point where I think who and what I tell.

It's when you catch a PB in a swim people have seen you in etc and you want to tell the world. You know if you do post or tell anyone, well that swim is out of the bag. Getting to a point where I think who and what I tell.
My nephew caught a massive fish on the thames last season and took a picture in the dark,went back couple of times later same week and it was always occupied, ffs

Back