• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

"Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing" New Series

I'm with you on that Joe. We've gone 70's style , when meat/ chicken growing up wasn't an everyday event in our house. So we do pay more buying it from a local butcher but we're fortunate to still have a few proper butchers who've been doing it for years, without being ' artisanal' or taking about ' provenance'. Just they know good meat and who farms it. Cos it's now a treat, we eat less, don't spend as much overall and to be honest don't miss out. Lot to be said for old fashioned meals like beans on toast, scrambled eggs etc..which we'd forgotten about
My mum used to cook rabbit when I was a kid. I seem to remember it being quite rich and "meaty". Apart from a few country butchers I don't even know if you can buy it these days?

My mum used to cook rabbit when I was a kid. I seem to remember it being quite rich and "meaty". Apart from a few country butchers I don't even know if you can buy it these days?
You see it here, not in the big towns but the small towns and villages the butchers tend to sell all kinds of Game meats.
I noticed it was very common in Spain.

Brilliant TV. Captures the essence of fishing with a good mate ( more about the banter than the fish)
Most of my friends/ family that enjoy it are non- anglers.

Fishing a lake I have been fortunate enough to fish in todays programme. And some fish!
There’s been something of a lack of fish in this series so far. But it just proves that old quote:
“ The fishing was great, it was the catching that was bad….”

Tonight‘s episode was very good.

You see it here, not in the big towns but the small towns and villages the butchers tend to sell all kinds of Game meats.
I noticed it was very common in Spain.
I've not seen it on sale for years. That said, the rabbit population in England seems to have plummeted a lot in the last decade.

I do like rabbit provided it's not been hung for long. Good in a stir fry.

I've not seen it on sale for years. That said, the rabbit population in England seems to have plummeted a lot in the last decade.

I do like rabbit provided it's not been hung for long. Good in a stir fry.
I bought one rabbit at Birmingham not long ago. Also saw they sell it at Harrods.

Am I missing something here! WTF has this got to do with this thread?

Yep your missing something.

Nothing wrong with threads that go off topic from time to time. I always liked this quote by a regular on a ( now defunct) old forum I was on. It became something of a mantra on the site and summed the place up very eloquently.

"A good web discussion should be like a good pub chat - beginning with a notion, weaving back and forth into the proposition at regular intervals but going off like a specimen fish played on light tackle, with a thumb on the reel and the expectation it will be netted in the end (mixing metaphors along the way of course)." - 'Gluey'

Fishing a lake I have been fortunate enough to fish in todays programme. And some fish!

As I live in Reigate and the episode was called 'Carp & Barbel - Reigate Hills' I thought that I would recognise the lake & stretch of the Mole.
I didn't.
After a lot of digging about I finally sussed it.
You are indeed fortunate to have fished there Graham.
Great episode though.

As I live in Reigate and the episode was called 'Carp & Barbel - Reigate Hills' I thought that I would recognise the lake & stretch of the Mole.
I didn't.
You are indeed fortunate to have

I didn't.
Great episode though.
Lovely fish on the BIG meat👍😃

I didn't.
Great episode though.

Those carp looked a bit Galician to me. Being that it was in Surrey could well be a distinct possibility.

Back