• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

"Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing" New Series

Roger Cramer

Senior Member & Supporter
For those that are interested, it looks like the new series (no. 5) is scheduled to start on Friday 9th September on Beeb 2 at 9.00pm.

An albeit brief trailer references: 'sausages, gravy and Bovril' and the need to "get our fishing heads on".

I hope it retains its unique and endearing comedic interaction between the two protagonists, regardless of any angling success/prowess!!

yes its tonight
BBC 2 at 21.00 Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing
Episode 1 of season 5

They also fish a beautiful private lake in Surrey that is next to the River Mole in the Series
They did better than me after a slowish start.

Ray Mears fished it in a program about 35 years ago!

My day was the quietest on record according to the owner. Maybe just my skills!

I thought it was disgusting. The BBC have finally managed to ruin a wonderful program pushing their woke agenda like they did with 'Call the midwife'. The plant burger thing was blatant propaganda as for the rest...........
I'm disappointed that they caved in to the pressure.

I thought it was disgusting. The BBC have finally managed to ruin a wonderful program pushing their woke agenda like they did with 'Call the midwife'. The plant burger thing was blatant propaganda as for the rest...........
Not seen this one yet but perhaps they went ' meat-free' as they both have heart issues and no-cholesterol isn't a bad message for men of a certain age?
If it inspires one person to consider alternatives and reduce the chance of a heart attack , then that can't be too bad?
And no I'm a confirmed carnivore, but will try plant based if it tastes OK.

After 27 episodes they make one reference to a plant based burger and they get accused of wokism? Seriously? Given that around 15% of the UK food market is based around plant based foods, it would be more than a little odd if they weren't referenced in at least one of the episodes. A recurring theme across the series has been men's health and 'heart' healthy eating so its makes sense that some plant based foods would be used.

Not seen this one yet but perhaps they went ' meat-free' as they both have heart issues and no-cholesterol isn't a bad message for men of a certain age?
If it inspires one person to consider alternatives and reduce the chance of a heart attack , then that can't be too bad?
And no I'm a confirmed carnivore, but will try plant based if it tastes OK.
I think the sensible approach is for everyone to eat a little less meat, but to make the sure the meat we eat is produced in the UK. For instance I will only buy grass fed beef as its nutritionally better and more environmentally sustainable. British farmers will need all the help they can get in a few years time thanks to the terrible trade deal our Govt has signed with Australia. The floodgates will open for our farmers to be undercut with environmentally unsustainable, nutritionally inferior food imports.

I think the sensible approach is for everyone to eat a little less meat, but to make the sure the meat we eat is produced in the UK. For instance I will only buy grass fed beef as its nutritionally better and more environmentally sustainable. British farmers will need all the help they can get in a few years time thanks to the terrible trade deal our Govt has signed with Australia. The floodgates will open for our farmers to be undercut with environmentally unsustainable, nutritionally inferior food imports.
I'm with you on that Joe. We've gone 70's style , when meat/ chicken growing up wasn't an everyday event in our house. So we do pay more buying it from a local butcher but we're fortunate to still have a few proper butchers who've been doing it for years, without being ' artisanal' or taking about ' provenance'. Just they know good meat and who farms it. Cos it's now a treat, we eat less, don't spend as much overall and to be honest don't miss out. Lot to be said for old fashioned meals like beans on toast, scrambled eggs etc..which we'd forgotten about

The amount of legs of lamb and chops around here is incredible, like every inch of pasture now has bloody sheep (Aussie accent for full effect)

Think it's time they wrapped this programme up,1st series was good,2nd series was OK,since then its a case of same old same old week in week out,should have quit whilst they were ahead.

Think it's time they wrapped this programme up,1st series was good,2nd series was OK,since then its a case of same old same old week in week out,should have quit whilst they were ahead.
isn't that what the BBC (and other channels) do with every programme, flog them to death !!

Back