• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

"Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing" New Series

The "same old, same old" to you might not be to others. There are plenty of other channels.

Quite. If it ain’t broke then don’t fix it. Besides, what’s not too like: good banter, beautiful scenery, a bit of fishing, nicely filmed with a good music score.

I thought this last episode was very good.

The only other fishing program at the moment is Monster Carp and I know what I’d rather watch.

I get the feeling that simply by virtue of being a BBC production there are folks out there who will find look fault in the show.

Personally I think it's a great series, and they set the bar so high in previous episodes that in some episodes are always going to not quite be as good. l still them thoroughly watchable though.

I'm still really enjoying it and the show has become a reliable relaxation tool for me. Leaves me with a big dumb smile on my face every week. I'd seriously be happy for this to carry on until they're physically unable to do it (as long as they're still enjoying themselves of course).

RE the plant burgers - I don't think that was propaganda at all, or if it was Leni Riefenstahl would probably tell the Beeb to go back to propaganda school. Not the first time they've had veggie or vegan stuff on there and resident chef Bob has made the point about eating less meat since way back in the first series. Besides, far more than propaganda, it was a(nother) call-back to Bob's semi-regular pocket/car meat shenanigans. Also note they were both "yeah, it's alright. Definitely a veggie burger" and not fawning over it.

Also interesting to see how much Bob's fly fishing technique has improved. He's mentioned several times on the Mince/Parsnips podcast how much he's been fly fishing and how he enjoys it.

Last edited:
I've just read Bob's autobiography. A holiday book pick up. Quite entertaining for the first 80%. Certainly got me laughing in parts. Gone fishing only gets mentioned very briefly.

and TED !! star of the show for me lol
100% agree. Ted the dog deserves his own series! Brilliant scene of him sitting at the table last night with a napkin round his neck! He was a rescue dog apparently and I believe his owner is the sound recordist?

100% agree. Ted the dog deserves his own series! Brilliant scene of him sitting at the table last night with a napkin round his neck! He was a rescue dog apparently and I believe his owner is the sound recordist?
It was a dog tuxedo 🤣🤣
Ted is a great ambassador for Patterdales-he’s much better behaved than mine
I have 2, the eldest being 19 and just keeps going
The fishing is pants but the series is still a gem

I’ve driven past the Ex many times and never knew it’s was such a lovely river.
It’s nice light watching, the kind of thing I chuck on if I think I might nod off :D

To be honest, I like both Mortimer and Whitehouse as comedians , they have both done good things in the past but having watched a couple of episodes of it, it just did not do it for me, so I have not bothered at all since then . Just the same things , but different places.

It seems disjointed and really is about the two men and nothing about angling really , at best amateurish , and could just as easilly been made as a plain road trip programme.

But it seems popular enough so maybe I am just picky .

David

To be honest, I like both Mortimer and Whitehouse as comedians , they have both done good things in the past but having watched a couple of episodes of it, it just did not do it for me, so I have not bothered at all since then . Just the same things , but different places.

It seems disjointed and really is about the two men and nothing about angling really , at best amateurish , and could just as easilly been made as a plain road trip programme.

But it seems popular enough so maybe I am just picky .

David
I imagine that 90% of the people who watch have never fished in their lives. It isn’t about fishing really, just a couple of old guys by the waterside who occasionally cast a line. More a nature programme with a little whimsical chat about life in general. I hope Bob is now feeling a little better as he has been unwell recently.
G.T.

Back