• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mitchell Match 440A

I thought that the Neptune was a boat rod? It looks too short to be a beachcaster David.

Mike, the Test that I have been looking for is nominally 11 foot, with a separate slightly shorter top section. I would consider a similar rod such as a Priory at the right price. But Marcos tend to be better value (aka cheaper). It is to be used for barbel, but not on the Vienne with 2.45 metres on it ;)

It is definately a beach rod Clive,I have seen it described in an old tackle shop price list, I have a few boat rods from the same era , some Cane, some Lancewood, they are a good 2 ft shorter , I have another whole cane / Lancewood beach rod the same length. they are a real pair of beasts , somewhere I have a vintage film of sea anglers using and casting these old rods.I will see if I can dig it out .

David.

Last edited:
Well guys had a couple of outings now on the River Wye this season, and have a guess what my Mitchell Match 440a did not "spontaneously combust" on catching the first 7 barbel of the season - best barbel so far was just under 8lb along with some good sized chub to 5lb.
LOL 😂 😂

Back