• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mitchell Match 440A

David Maddison

Just got my hands on one of these reels in very good condition and i was wondering if any of you guys who have one use it for barbel. I have a very shallow spool which i believe will take 100 yards of 3-4lb line and a slightly deeper one which i am hoping will take enough 10lb line so i can leger with my split cane rod. The drag sounds great!! :)

Dave

I've got one for my canes when a bit more distance is needed than I can reach with a pin. Haven't had a barbel on it yet though plenty of chub!

Not sure what model it is, but i've got one in the shed somewhere. Must have bought it over 30 years ago. Its done the rounds in its lifetime, passed to my brother when i took up golf :eek:. Then onto my nephew. Now its back in my hands :). Its blue in colour, and has the finger dab bail arm. But when dabbed, the bail arm doesn't open fully, or close properly when the handle is turned. Does anyone know of anyone/where who could service it ? Don't know if i'd chance using it for barbel, doesn,t seem to have the same grunt/power of my more modern Shimano,s. :)

Derek. And theres the rub.

To expose it to regular feeder fishing will eventually ruin the bale arm return.

Fine for trotting and the dab bail arm is great after you get used to it. You'll still get the problem of line behind the triple leg clutch though.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5566-image.jpeg

I found this one at the bottom of my old dad's basket. The bail arm didn't work so l took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. It was a bit of a fiddle but it works a treat now.
A couple of questions,..I note that the reel has no number on the body, was this the norm?
Were there more than one type of "match" 440 manufactured over the years?

A few of my mates used to use them for general trotting, but I wouldn't consider them for barbel nowadays . Certainly an innovative reel in its day though.:)

A couple of questions,..I note that the reel has no number on the body, was this the norm?

The number is on the reel foot Robert, your one is a 1970 model (Garcia).

Micky

Hi Dave,
This model was for match fishing and has the higher ratio so would be fine for trotting provided the fish are not too big, but I think you would struggle with barbel. The Mitchell 300 would be better.
Derek, 're getting you old Mitchell serviced. I sold 3 old Mitchell's to a guy called Graham Pepler. His web site is Graham's Vintage Tackle. He buys refurbishes and sells old fishing gear. Talking to him he obviously knows all about these reels and can get the parts.
Not sure if he offers repairs but he would be worth a call on 0845 5196308
Mike

Read Andy Orme's book "Barbel Mania". He recommends them. I have used them in the past and no problems, had my first double,12lb 02oz, with one.

I am sure i flogged that book at a car boot years ago. Doh! :p
I loaded enough 10lb berkley big game onto the deeper spool last night so i will give it a go when the rivers drop a little.

Dave

Great reel for backwinding a float down a swim,but not best suited for barbel fishing.The bail arm can catch the line when trying to auto close the bail arm and line can also wrap behind the spool.Most models had cast aluminium gears which often stripped teeth and seized up when casting feeders and heavy use so were upgraded by Brass gears and the last thing you want is a reel seizing up on you with a special fish on.Check your gears before they cost you. Yes Andy Orme recommended your reel but Andy fished very light lines when Barbel Mania was written.The 300 or 410 is a better suited reel for Barbel fishing if you want to go Retro.

I have had a number old Mitchell reels over the last 30 years including the 440. Mike Traynor in Nottingham has a small business repairing and providing spares for them. Reliable and honest with a good service by post. I have dealt with him a number of times over the last ten years or so. My 440 was serviced by him last February. The 440 is awful for trotting nowadays as the bail arm causes problems with the strike and then the delay in winding down. It is okay for heavy legering/feeder fishing but prefer the 300 as the bail arms mechanism on the 440 is temperamental and in my opinion over complicated.
Hope this information is of some interest. In the 1960s and 1970s the Mitchell and also the Abu 505/506 close faced reels were what I wanted as a boy when fishing my local rivers but I couldn't afford them!

Mike Traynor's address below.

michael traynor <hottapmike@hotmail.com>

As Mark said, the 410 is a far better reel for barbel, good float or tench reel the 440.

I use a 330, has the same auto bail arm but the gearing of the 300, for some of my grayling and tench fishing.

The number is on the reel foot Robert, your one is a 1970 model (Garcia).

Micky

Assuming that post was a touch of the "Triggers" Mick, and was for my benefit :D:D... I had another look and still couldn't find a number,..as for the Taiwanese manufacture, you are right...it's got ' made in France' embossed in not one but two places! 1970'ish would tie in with when the old man used to fish matches.
ATB Dave

Hi Dave,
This model was for match fishing and has the higher ratio so would be fine for trotting provided the fish are not too big, but I think you would struggle with barbel. The Mitchell 300 would be better.

Mike

I have a 300a which was brought from new and has stood the test of time, but the brass gears on a pair of skirted spool 300S both stripped and had to be replaced and were then fine,...I reckon they must have used a soft spec brass on manufacture.
I was thinking of using the Match for some far bank waggler sessions,.. absolutely no fear of the fish being too big Mike !:D

Back