• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

(Light hearted banter) I seriously need to thin out my rods!

Julian Griffiths

Just done a count up of my rods and it's embarrassing!

I'm being kind to myself by saying I've got issues, but the count to my mind is bordering, if not passed a long time ago, the ridiculous stage! 😂

Although I have to confess there was a time I actually enjoyed 'collecting' them.
I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

I know I can't be alone on this issue!😂

The main issue I have about selling on, is the fact they're good decent rods, some of them no longer available, others are custom builds.

I've sold rods in the past & have regretted doing so ever since. An example of these were my entire Seer collection.

So how do you go about making a decision on what to sell, when you know that the quality around is no longer there! (If you wanted to replace one in the future)
And your not wanting to regret selling them in the first place. (been there!)
And you know, your not likely to get a decent return on them, as money is understandably a bit tight for many of us at the moment....

I'd be interested if theres others out their, that are at the stage I'm at, knowing they're in need to thin out their rods, but can't make that step....

Sounds like a counselling session! 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I don't know how old you are Julian, you look a lot younger than me in your photo, but I (at 62) am starting to think I will have plenty of time to sell off rods when I'm not fit for fishing and need distracting from Homes Under the Hammer etc ...yes we do all arrive there unfortunately.

You may well have a lot more rods than me and I tend to buy rods second hand, if available, to reduce the cost a bit

In the meantime I am retired and enjoying every minute and buying what I need/want. I did sell a barbel rod recently but I have since bought a float rod and 2 spinning rods - but one was to replace a broken rod.

I've just caught a 7lb salmon (my second, but the first by intent) and have a target to catch a decent bass (over 5lb) by the end of the year. I'm struggling to fit in much barbel fishing but I'm loving the variety.

I don't know how old you are Julian, you look a lot younger than me in your photo, but I (at 62) am starting to think I will have plenty of time to sell off rods when I'm not fit for fishing and need distracting from Homes Under the Hammer etc ...yes we do all arrive there unfortunately.

You may well have a lot more rods than me and I tend to buy rods second hand, if available, to reduce the cost a bit

In the meantime I am retired and enjoying every minute and buying what I need/want. I did sell a barbel rod recently but I have since bought a float rod and 2 spinning rods - but one was to replace a broken rod.

I've just caught a 7lb salmon (my second, but the first by intent) and have a target to catch a decent bass (over 5lb) by the end of the year. I'm struggling to fit in much barbel fishing but I'm loving the variety.
Nice catch ref salmon! I'm not that old, but I guess if I'm posting on a topic like this, kinda suggests either no more rods! Or just sell the 'less desirables' 🤣

Mullet?

Just done a count up of my rods and it's embarrassing!

I'm being kind to myself by saying I've got issues, but the count to my mind is bordering, if not passed a long time ago, the ridiculous stage! 😂

Although I have to confess there was a time I actually enjoyed 'collecting' them.
I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

I know I can't be alone on this issue!😂

The main issue I have about selling on, is the fact they're good decent rods, some of them no longer available, others are custom builds.

I've sold rods in the past & have regretted doing so ever since. An example of these were my entire Seer collection.

So how do you go about making a decision on what to sell, when you know that the quality around is no longer there! (If you wanted to replace one in the future)
And your not wanting to regret selling them in the first place. (been there!)
And you know, your not likely to get a decent return on them, as money is understandably a bit tight for many of us at the moment....

I'd be interested if theres others out their, that are at the stage I'm at, knowing they're in need to thin out their rods, but can't make that step....

Sounds like a counselling session! 🤣🤣

Go on, how many? 😂

I think I am just about ok but bordering on a problem. I could get rid of a handful of rods I reckon and I might do, although not keen to make any rash decisions as not doubt would lose money on them.

Someone asked why I didn't go sea fishing the other day, there's no way I've got room for that.

edit - I'll out myself, 19 but I refuse to count the marker rod.

Go on, how many? 😂

I think I am just about ok but bordering on a problem. I could get rid of a handful of rods I reckon and I might do, although not keen to make any rash decisions as not doubt would lose money on them.

Someone asked why I didn't go sea fishing the other day, there's no way I've got room for that.

edit - I'll out myself, 19 but I refuse to count the marker rod.
19 is not bad.... It must be 25 seconds my hands been poised over the key board not wanting to divulge but here goes....50 rounded up🙄😳🤣
Mental isn't it!
Actually some are lure rods, & markers so I could easily get rid of those.
most are over at my folks place so by not seeing them makes me feel a whole lot better🤣

Last edited:
19 is not bad.... It must be 25 seconds my hands been poised over the key board not wanting to divulge but here goes....50 rounded up🙄😳🤣
Mental isn't it!
most are over at my folks place so by not seeing them makes me feel a whole lot better🤣

Mines up to 20, I forgot a new float rod I haven’t used yet.

50 is a benchmark number, the sort of thing that should be celebrated… with another rod.

Mental isn't it!
I don’t think I have that many but have far more than I need, so e I might only use once a year…..I’m even worse with reels, although I found those easier to part with. Some rods I have multiples of, like the Insight 1.75Ib RB, think I have 6….only because I have them as a saved search on eBay and if a bargain comes up I go for it.
Unless you need the cash keep them, they might just be worth more in a few years, that’s my theory anyway🤞

I don’t think I have that many but have far more than I need, so e I might only use once a year…..I’m even worse with reels, although I found those easier to part with. Some rods I have multiples of, like the Insight 1.75Ib RB, think I have 6….only because I have them as a saved search on eBay and if a bargain comes up I go for it.
Unless you need the cash keep them, they might just be worth more in a few years, that’s my theory anyway🤞
That was my theory Alan, on the value front.
I've also become very aware, the likes of Mark Tunley, Roger from Peregrine, won't be building forever, and having seen a lot of my favourite builders retire or simply stop building, had got me thinking I should buy whilst they're still are in business...

That was my theory Alan, on the value front.
I've also become very aware, the likes of Mark Tunley, Roger from Peregrine, won't be building forever, and having seen a lot of my favourite builders retire or simply stop building, had got me thinking I should buy whilst they're still are in business...
That a boy!!!….in the space of 10 posts going from too many rods to convincing yourself to buy more as an investment 😂….i like your thinking

I was 'selling' at the RDAA open day yesterday. I shifted 4 rods, a couple of reels and loads of bits. One of the rods I was slightly sad to see go as it had caught lots of my big fish - but I dont use it - so why keep it.

I had a count up about 3 years ago because I had no idea how many rods I had, the answer was 98.

Im very much an all rounder - so it is very easy to rack up that number.

Im probably down to about 70 now. Im slowly retiring from travelling abroad (saltwater fly fishing) so I can soon shift all those serious fly rods.

Im not sentimental or OCD about my fishing gear - I just want stuff that works. Im not a collector either. If it is a bit tatty I couldnt give a damn.

Let’s think how many rods we need as an all rounder river angler.
1-2 light feeder rods for roach?
1-2 Avon quiver/medium feeder rods for chub
1-2 1.75 barbel rods
1-2 2.25-2.75 barbel rods
At least 13, 15ft float rods.
Not counting pike rods, short rods for small stream, lure rods, travel rods, rod for rolling meat etc etc

So I actually think owning around 10-20 rods is standard.

That a boy!!!….in the space of 10 posts going from too many rods to convincing yourself to buy more as an investment 😂….i like your thinking
I know! 🤣🤣🤣 I'm really laughing....just glad I wasn't enjoying my drink when I read this reply Alan!

My very understanding girlfriend, was just saying she'd love to see the replies to this thread.
We've already laughed at the comment by Christian Tyroll, that 50 rods is a milestone & should be celebrated with a purchase of another one! 🤣

Last edited:
Back