• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

(Light hearted banter) I seriously need to thin out my rods!

I added a 15ft as new Hardy Marksman today.

But I have far less than most.
4 barbel
3 feeder
1 multi feeder/float
2 Travel
6 float
1 pike
4 fly.

Just done a count up of my rods and it's embarrassing!

I'm being kind to myself by saying I've got issues, but the count to my mind is bordering, if not passed a long time ago, the ridiculous stage! 😂

Although I have to confess there was a time I actually enjoyed 'collecting' them.
I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

I know I can't be alone on this issue!😂

The main issue I have about selling on, is the fact they're good decent rods, some of them no longer available, others are custom builds.

I've sold rods in the past & have regretted doing so ever since. An example of these were my entire Seer collection.

So how do you go about making a decision on what to sell, when you know that the quality around is no longer there! (If you wanted to replace one in the future)
And your not wanting to regret selling them in the first place. (been there!)
And you know, your not likely to get a decent return on them, as money is understandably a bit tight for many of us at the moment....

I'd be interested if theres others out their, that are at the stage I'm at, knowing they're in need to thin out their rods, but can't make that step....

Sounds like a counselling session! 🤣🤣
I think there are 2 sides to this
1) working rods - ones that you use on a fairly regular basis. If you fish for a few species or do a bit of game or sea fishing you can soon rack up a bit of an armoury
I have approx 20 rods that will all get used in a season for different species and tasks
Indulgent but great if you can pick a rolling meat or roving live bait rod straight off the rack and fishing time is limited
2) the subs bench - I think we all have rods that we have hung on to for sentimental reasons and we know we’ll probably never use, but that old shakey might have caught you your first double figure barbel or twenty pound pike. It’s worth nothing, maybe a tenner? if you have the room why not keep it ? One for the grandkids?
There are also the future classics and the impulse purchases .if you don’t need the money or space hang on as they might increase or personal circumstances might change and you can move them on.
Men collect stuff- toys, cars, watches, books - I even have a couple of mates who are fanatical in collecting trainers???
if you enjoy it, stay as you are .

Let’s think how many rods we need as an all rounder river angler.
1-2 light feeder rods for roach?
1-2 Avon quiver/medium feeder rods for chub
1-2 1.75 barbel rods
1-2 2.25-2.75 barbel rods
At least 13, 15ft float rods.
Not counting pike rods, short rods for small stream, lure rods, travel rods, rod for rolling meat etc etc

So I actually think owning around 10-20 rods is standard.
BS Huan..you doubled up qty's anyway, but you have at least attempted to justify I suppose our guilty little secrets.🤭

1) working rods - ones that you use on a fairly regular basis. If you fish for a few species or do a bit of game or sea fishing you can soon rack up a bit of an armoury
I have approx 20 rods that will all get used in a season for different species and tasks
Indulgent but great if you can pick a rolling meat or roving live bait rod straight off the rack and fishing time is limited
2) the subs bench - I think we all have rods that we have hung on to for sentimental reasons and we know we’ll probably never use, but that old shakey might have caught you your first double figure barbel or twenty pound pike. It’s worth nothing, maybe a tenner? if you have the room why not keep it ? One for the grandkids?
There are also the future classics and the impulse purchases .if you don’t need the money or space hang on as they might increase or personal circumstances might change and you can move them on.
Men collect stuff- toys, cars, watches, books - I even have a couple of mates who are fanatical in collecting trainers???
Cheers Paul! 👍😊

I have about 40 rods but that covers barbel, avon rods for other river fishing, carp rods, float rods from light to power, spinning rods - perch, pike, bass and salmom, fly rods - trout, grayling, salmon and bass/mullet. I could easily get rid of 10 but would struggle a bit after that.

paul , your right .

Ccoming back to fishing after a gap of 50 years, I did actually buy rods to see what they were like. This would have been virtually impossible pre ebay days. Maybe I have bought 150 plus rods in the last 14 years. Fished with all but a handful( ie didn't like them on arrival) and sold virtually all of them. This has been enormous fun. All due to reading about them and my own curiosity. This shows that whilst I can't claim to be much of a fisherman my retirement has been brilliant in a way I never thought possible. I have only got a dozen now. Sounds as though I need to buy more. Send me a list Julian, ha!
paul , your right .

Back