• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Leadcore

right just to put a stop to this, you wont be able to fish that swim this season as i'll be on the other bank flicking out my 1/2 lead;)
im with andy on this armourbraid/armourchord is something i've used to combat the sharp bedrock.
i put a mate onto trigga link for different reason's, but he's used that as a shockleader and he swears by it;)
ive made my rod's up incorperating this and not only will it be good for abrasion but the elasticity of it will aid my rig resistance;)
you've just got to make sure that your running rig runs over the knot,which is a double grinner knot.

Hi men,

Anyone thinking of using leadcore can to start with use barbless hooks. Tie your lead on with knotted light bs mono, use it helicopter style, with the swivel running on it , stopped with Korda/Solar specific release systems. The most effective form of this setup has a short hooklength tied to a quick release gizmo pulled into the front of an inline stonze weight , giving the hooklength the oppertunity to come unhitched in the event of a breakoff, but this is also normally matched with a high breaking strain mono , like GR60. So you can see , quiet a specilused setup, designed for specific situations

The leadcore rig is almost redundant as soon as you start to get more than a rod length out. It is best used " layed out " , with a heavy backlead / drilled bullet .

As soon as you start to go across the current even the heavyiest leadcore lifts , then requires more / bigger leads behind it to pin it all down. Poss in the situation above a more reliable ultra tough mono will have to suffice .

Hatter

dont fish this swim in summer as i said before the barbel move straight in front off you in the summer months and there better swims to fish.the ribble is a game river as well the salmon lads wade out to the edge off the ledge theres a que sometimes in summer .
only fished it 5 times last winter i st time 1 barbel no loses 2 nd 8 barbel no loses 3rd time 9 barbel no loses 4/5th time 8 barbel per session lost about 5 fish total last 2 sessions river was up about 12inch fish not in same part off swim and as john has said another club has taken the fishing on the other bank so will be out off bounds for us if someone on the other bank still waiting to get in
was only trying to describe the swim that paul was asking the question on

I can't see how leadcore is going to help in the circumstances described. In fact I can't see much use for leadcore when fishing a river. However, that's not to suggest that it couldn't or shouldn't be used. Sounds more like you simply want a more abrasion resistant leader. Try Amnesia. Tough as old boots but relatively thick for its breaking strain. Doesn't hinder a genuine running rig in any way so a safe rig is easy to make up.

So apart from the hair rig, the leadcore, the safety clip, braided line, wide-gape hooks, baitrunners, delkims, 2lb+ TC rods , boilies, bivvies, rod pods, baiting needles, stringers, pva mesh, hangers and isotopes, what have the carpers ever done for us!!!

Pellets, unhooking mats, antiseptic, coated braid hooklinks, the bedchair, camo clothing, barrows/trolleys, tungsten putty, grinner knot, line and mag-aligners, bait drills, hangers,

and

most important of all

wait for it...................

Watercraft. :D

Paul,

Have you thought of "trundling" a bait down?

Steve's right (and Ade) even a standard leadcore rig (helicopter) wouldn't work in the swim you describe.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but rig marole tubing is awesome, I use it when there's a chance I'll get cut off on sharp mussel shells. It's so tough it knackered my scissors when I cut it to length. Easy to thread too.

Not cheap mind.

Pellets, unhooking mats, antiseptic, coated braid hooklinks, the bedchair, camo clothing, barrows/trolleys, tungsten putty, grinner knot, line and mag-aligners, bait drills, hangers,

and

most important of all

wait for it...................

Watercraft. :D

Paul,

Have you thought of "trundling" a bait down?

Steve's right (and Ade) even a standard leadcore rig (helicopter) wouldn't work in the swim you describe.

Hi Simon,

I was never thinking of using a helicoptor rig for barbel:eek: I've never even used one for carp fishing.

I'm no expert when it comes to using leadcore but I do know that if in the event of a mainline breakage the rig won't fall to bits leaving the fish towing nothing more than the hooklength then its a potential tether rig.

The standard rig to achieve this is a helicopter rig as described by Mark and as such is the preferred safe option, I would suggest you don't attempt to use leadcore until you understand the mechanics of this rig.

The Adams Mill lads had a stonz rig they used to use with leadcore, I remember Stuart Court showing it to me once on a fish in. You could cast it and retrieve it but in the event of a bite the rig would shed all it's non essential bits on the take. This was about six or seven years ago when stonz first came on the market, I believe the rig is well known now among the carping fraternity. Could this be a bit of cross pollination from the barbel world to the carp world?

Last edited:
I've re-read my last post, it does sound a bit preachy. There was no dig intended, just trying to point out the potential problems.

Try having a go for them like I said before, standing, holding the rod and the line and with the rod resting in a high front rest to keep the line out of the danger zone and striking as you feel the first indication.

I've just invested in a Fox 15' rod (£99 from Climax tackle) especially to help me tackle a couple of swims like you are describing. I'm not suggesting you buy a special rod but just have a go with one of your normal ones. It's a bit tiring but I guarantee you will enjoy it far more than sitting behind two rods waiting to be cut off.

Back