• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Karen Twine research

There have been a few.

One study looked at the benefits of gravel cleaning of spawning grounds. I can't remember if on the Lea or Ouse.

Not many it seems. Only beneficial for a year at most.
The Ouse over a number of years had gravel beds jet washed, so as to help the barbel during the spawning period. Because the gravel beds silted up every year due to poor flow and levels, the jetting was put to one side. Unfortunately to add to that problem, there weren't (enough) barbel in the first place to make it worthwhile.

I remember the BS gravel cleaning the upper Stour and introducing marked barbel.

Don't believe any were seen again.

Meanwhile a large Otter swam down the Wye at Ross in the middle of the day.

16 Gossanders worked as a team to herd the fish and a group of 7 comorants flew along the river.

Thankfully a big river.
Unlike the Ouse Kennet Loddon Teme etc.

I have had a great time for many years fishing the rivers mentioned in the past...

Remember catching some beautiful perch and large trout at the top end of the Ouse where Paddy had a syndicate and he caught huge trout and massive perch. You could jump over the river in places.

Happy Days

Remember catching some beautiful perch and large trout at the top end of the Ouse where Paddy had a syndicate and he caught huge trout and massive perch. You could jump over the river in places.

Happy Days

Thats Interesting Graham. I had heard about some resident self sustaining trout in the upper Great Ouse. I think the Wild Trout Trust did some sort of viability study up there a few years ago. Wonder if there’s any still about?

Many years ago I put some perch pictures up and Paddy also as well as some huge trout.
Guess 8 more years ago.

When I mentioned the huge trout there a couple of people doubted me.
Not after the photos😁

I remember the BS gravel cleaning the upper Stour and introducing marked barbel.

Don't believe any were seen again.

Meanwhile a large Otter swam down the Wye at Ross in the middle of the day.

16 Gossanders worked as a team to herd the fish and a group of 7 comorants flew along the river.

Thankfully a big river.
Unlike the Ouse Kennet Loddon Teme etc.

I have had a great time for many years fishing the rivers mentioned in the past...

Happy Days
I've notice a lot more cormorants this his autumn/winter. Luckily they all seem to be flying west, heading for Ross. ;) As you mention Graham, the bigger rivers are just about managing to soak up this predation. Are goosanders protected? Other duck aren't just now.

Protected Chris.

So many on the Wye now. Hunt in groups.

Usually 8 or more drive fish downstream to a waiting group. I think they kill far more fish than comorants on the Wye.

Saying that, last time I fished for grayling on the Taff, one in three of the grayling caught had comorant slashes.

Back