• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

It’s back !!

On our stretch if there is one thing that kills fishing it’s someone filling it in with boilies
I’m same 1kg of 12mm more than enough for a season
I do use a lot of mixed pellet but in an evening session might pult in 10 boilies?
Shush guys... 😂
I rely on others to pile it in for me!

I was fishing a local stretch to me many seasons ago.
And a plonker for a better word, was carrying a bucket of boilies, and proceeded to bait up with I think I counted 15 handfuls of boilies before I lost count... Above my position & he came into my swim saw me, then went to the next swim down from me and did the same! I couldn't beleive it, I was seething (calmed down now though!) 😂

Anyway, I gave it a good weeks break, came back & fished a single hook bait ontop of his selfish prebait, and caught 1 big 14+ barbel 2 x 7lb plus chub in one session...

I then spent the rest of that season stalking that angler and fished singles wherever he was doing this mindless prebaiting. It was the best tactic I've ever used! 😂

Shush guys... 😂
I rely on others to pile it in for me!

I was fishing a local stretch to me many seasons ago.
And a plonker for a better word, was carrying a bucket of boilies, and proceeded to bait up with I think I counted 15 handfuls of boilies before I lost count... Above my position & he came into my swim saw me, then went to the next swim down from me and did the same! I couldn't beleive it, I was seething (calmed down now though!) 😂

Anyway, I gave it a good weeks break, came back & fished a single hook bait ontop of his selfish prebait, and caught 1 big 14+ barbel 2 x 7lb plus chub in one session...

I then spent the rest of that season stalking that angler and fished singles wherever he was doing this mindless prebaiting. It was the best tactic I've ever used! 😂
On the other hand you could say he’s prebaiting was working

On the other hand you could say he’s prebaiting was working
We'll there is that I guess😂

He was notorious for doing this while others were fishing, so rather than having a go at him, as he liked a confrontation. I smiled upon seeing his car parked up, then donning on a single hook bait and capitalising on the tactic.

I couldn't afford that level of fishing & baiting, & he kept the fish's weights up, which were a win win for me personally.

Imagine if there was a wonder bait? Guaranteed to catch doubles every trip. Dream on it'll never happen.
So here's one 'for the mix' ... on several occasions over the years I've come across a bait (well, a flavour of boilie) that's appeared to work better than others (I don't believe in 'super-baits', just some that might do better than others). After catching on the bait I've then take the corresponding flavour/glug sold by the same company and glugged pellets with it. Then I've fished those glugged pellets alongside with the original boilies with the same flavour. The result has been that the boilie never appeared to be more attractive to the fish than the glugged pellet. So it would appear that it was the flavour that attracted the fish, and not the actual bait.
So ...a good case for just buying the flavour/glug, and not the corresponding bait?

If I had my own fishery i would immediately ban pellets the oil content in them is not only detrimental to fish but also to the fishery I would choose a high quality food source boilie every time

That’s why I prefer to use natural baits, maggots, worms, snails, corn, sweet potatoes etc. If I am using processed bait, it is normally human food, bread, meat.

Started using pellets and boilies about two years ago since I want to avoid the small fish, but I don’t feel them catch me more fish.

That’s why I prefer to use natural baits, maggots, worms, snails, corn, sweet potatoes etc. If I am using processed bait, it is normally human food, bread, meat.

Started using pellets and boilies about two years ago since I want to avoid the small fish, but I don’t feel them catch me more fish.
Out of the natural baits you listed what would you say has been the most successful

Out of the natural baits you listed what would you say has been the most successful
Depending on the conditions, worm in general outperforms others in warm weather, but maggots is better in the winter. Snail and cray fish seems more attractive to perch and chub than barbel.

I've had serious difficulties with one Famous Angler who said on the radio that others don't put enough bait in. A Trent Angler.

After suggesting it would have been better to clarify it by adding ON BiGGER RIVERS"
( At the time the Kennet Loddon and St Pats was being affected by some dumping Kilos and Kilos of bait in multiple swims)

He responded like the arrogant bloke he is leading to the Police ticking him off for offensive online material.

There are definitely reasons to feed heavily on big rivers IMO according to conditions, but the mass baiting of multiple swims is selfish in the extreme to others.

Yeah if I was to only fish one bait for the rest of my life lob worms would be it personally closely followed by bread.

But by saying this, I momentarily wonder why on earth I don't & save a ton of money! 😊
Luncheon meat and cheese for me. I’ve not bought pellets or boilies for about ten years. Not to self: better chuck the ones in my bait drum in the bin!

Paul I’m not trying to tell anyone what to use it’s just a personal opinion …but what you are saying about boilies is exactly what I am talking about…. pellets will fill fish up very quickly so it’s detrimental you your fishing as well ..and if used in the winter could put fish off feeding for weeks you may only be using small amounts but so is Tom dick and harry … the trouble is there’s not enough education around bait and what adverse effects it has I’m also lumping in boilies with that we have all fallen for the hype (myself included ) to use the next wonder bait ..it would shock you what is in some baits ..ie pop up mix made with silicone or glass ..these days i try to use baits with natural ingredients so I use JB,s stuff as John says in his video a good bait is one that fish like to eat .. not to taste then spit out and then hoping our rig will get a hook up
Can’t and won’t disagree with any of that Terry
I’ve been schooled by old timers who work on the principle of
“ here to catch’em not feed em”
Bait barons will never get rich off me
When I say I use loads of pellets , I do in relation to boiles- I might use 2 possibly 3 kgs in a season not a session
I use the same boiles and pellets ( I use Krill a lot) which are Sticky/ Hinders/ dynamite and I think they all make a good quality product?
I don’t really change baits, more fish with the season
So for first 2 months will be hemp,castors and maggots
Later summer start to switch to pellet& boilie a bit more and follow through autumn but still use naturals where I can
October I start to move to pike fishing
Back on the naturals/ bread for chub in deep winter - have a go for barbel end of the season and fish to conditions
My beef is with selfish and irresponsible anglers who overfeed whatever bait , boilies or pellets ( it just happens to be boilies on our stretch)
A particular angler had boilies made to his own recipe and had to order a minimum amount. So in his mind he had say 20kgs that he needed to deposit in 3-4 months as he only summer fished twice a week.
I can’t remember the exact quantities but it was a LOT of bait - completely OTT for the head of fish / size of river
And as you say it’s not just me and him, plenty others banging in bait, whatever that is
That’s what I’m on about
And I’m fishing a small river with a decent head of fish but a pod might be 6-8 fish
Not the Trent or the Wye a few years ago with big shoals of fish

Here you go

IMG_0042.jpeg
IMG_0042.jpeg

John was on the Korda podcast some time back - really interesting listen around the creation of the flavours and the patents...

Back