• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

It’s back !!

On the issue of flavour levels, I accidentally massively over flavoured some meat at the end of the season. On the last day, I thought I’d try it as a bit of an experiment. I had three bites that day, all three of them really violent “three foot twitches”, on the meat, and not a touch on the other rod with a different, more sensible, bait on it. The first and third didn’t connect with anything but both bits of meat had chunks out of them when they came back in, something I’ve never had before, the second was a good double. My mate, two swims away, had nothing all day. I’m pretty sure the two missed bites were fish ejecting the bait in disgust as soon as they got a proper taste of it and that I was lucky to hook the fish I did.

Let's please refrain from the spikeyness, chaps. All points are valid, as we're not barbel (or, some would say, John Baker) and thus have no idea what they're thinking and why they take certain baits in preference to others. There's also the suggestion that barbel in different rivers elicit different behaviour, but I digress.
The closed season often brings up these 'banter' threads - I can thoroughly recommend DIY if you feel your mind wandering.

Back