• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Isotopes

to be honest i just take a couple of the cheap Delkims nowadays and turn the sensitivity up and volume down
I find it much easier than watching tips.

For me watching the rod tips is all part of the experience, just last Friday I was watching the tip very slowly pull round a few inches then back , then another slow pull round and back again , few seconds later it pulls round again but keeps going this time ending up as a full blown wraparound ! Resulting in the only barbel of the evening (7lb )
I often wonder what’s it’s doing with the bait on those very slow pulls ?

anglers with tips in the air and alarms miss all that experience, and I wouldn’t want to be without it especially as this time it was right on Barbel o’clock when everything goes quiet and there’s just this change in atmosphere around you .

For me watching the rod tips is all part of the experience, just last Friday I was watching the tip very slowly pull round a few inches then back , then another slow pull round and back again , few seconds later it pulls round again but keeps going this time ending up as a full blown wraparound ! Resulting in the only barbel of the evening (7lb )
I often wonder what’s it’s doing with the bait on those very slow pulls ?

anglers with tips in the air and alarms miss all that experience, and I wouldn’t want to be without it especially as this time it was right on Barbel o’clock when everything goes quiet and there’s just this change in atmosphere around you .
100% spot on Kevin. Those rod tips tell you more about what the fish are doing than an alarm or free spool ever can. Single bleeps can’t give you the difference between a chub tap and a liner but a rod tip can

100% spot on Kevin. Those rod tips tell you more about what the fish are doing than an alarm or free spool ever can. Single bleeps can’t give you the difference between a chub tap and a liner but a rod ti
I can't tell the difference between a chub bite and a liner in broad daylight!
The stretch I spend a lot of my time on early season fishes when it shouldn't .e.g. through the day, the ' magic hour' is normally dead and from experience fishing into dark for an hour might get you a bonus fish, usually a chub. Full nights aren't that productive unless you want bream.
But completely get the allure of watching a tip and have done it but my eyes struggle to adjust nowadays so easier to use a Delk for me, if it's simply grabbing that extra hour as darkness falls.
If I'm going after dark in the Autumn/winter, I use one rod, move pegs a lot more and touch ledger

No it’s heat shrunk on. They were fitted as part of the rod build but they can be fitted like that to any rod.

That’s Dave Lumbs work and the rod is a chimera 3
I see , I don’t think I could heat shrink on , on a built rod . I’d have to cut the heat shrink tubing to get it over the tip eye .
Any suggestions. ? Thanks Richard. 😊

I tried this, but due to the angle I liked to incline my rods I didn't find the "inline" mounting visible.

20200916_145125.jpg

Isotopes if looked after last 20 years or more.

Have them fitted properly and make them an integral part of your rod View attachment 25344
It's just knowing how old the isotopes are when they get mounted onto the rod...they don't come with dates. An isotopes you but from a tackle shop could be brand new or 10 years old.

That said I've got the same set-up on my barbel rods and it's perfect for my fishing. And so less fiddly when your on the bank.

Just had a look at them , got to say they look the bees knees , if they fit on ok . 👍🏼
Love mine. Gotta remember to keep the batteries charged though as they don’t last that long. Makes spotting little knocks easier when you get to that stage of the night where your eyes start playing tricks on you and you think the rod tips moving when it’s not. Plus you don’t need to constantly stare at the tip as it’s bright enough to catch your eye even when looking away

I’m gonna come up with an answer for a snag free isotope holder .can’t be that hard , we got cars that park themselves .
Changed the tip eyes for the quiver tip screw in type and made these out of cut down quivertips you don’t get the frap ups because it sits in front of the rod tips

Attachments

• IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 119
I just whipped a bit of fluorescent yellow silicon tube that the light was a tight push fit and in the daytime its great too

On that basis Terry, this might be an even easier solution (ca*p-sized Enterprise holder "persuaded" onto tip-ring)?
I changed rods at Christmas and endured endless problems with line looping over the Enterprise holder when it was between the tip and first ring on the new rods. I then repositioned it on the tip ring - where you have put yours. Just like magic, I've had no more tangles.

Back