• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

Not so much as " cheap pins " but more of a " pins cheap ". :)

Speaking of which. i,ve been practising casting with mine after i,ve finished work. ( about 4.30 am ). Anyone walking passed the field in the dark must think i,m performing some wierd black magic ritual. Arms all over the place, and some strange unheard of words. "@**!!!!"@. :D

i've ordered a pair, well ones from the mrs for my birthday so gotta wait for the one a couple months !!! i regret the day i tried out my grandads G&Y !!!

Speaking of which. i,ve been practising casting with mine after i,ve finished work. ( about 4.30 am ). Anyone walking passed the field in the dark must think i,m performing some wierd black magic ritual. Arms all over the place, and some strange unheard of words. "@**!!!!"@. :D

I gave up on the Wallis cast, ran out of word like "@**!!!!"@ :D, I use the "off the side" cast.

That is funny mate!

i've been promised a lesson from an expert when i finally get the time to get down to his area, 'till then i get 1 out of 4 right and look a plonker the rest of the time:p

"@**!!!!"@ seems to be a common word when learning to wallis cast:D

Who,s this " Wallis " fella, and if he,s that good at casting, lets get him on here with some tips for us virgins. ;)

If anyone is is in the Kent or East Sussex area I'd be happy to help with the wallis casting.
I usually start by getting people to cast just beyound the rod tip with a gentle smooth swing into a bucket. Then slowly move the target further away. By slowly adding the reel action to the swing more distance is achived. Most problems are caused by people trying to get to much distance to quickly. Usually takes about an hour for people to learn a basic wallis cast and cast a 1/2 lead 2 or 3 rod lengths. After that its just a case of practise, practise practise and developing your own style (everyone does it slightly differently).
It's so much easier when you have someone to show you.

Now I was in Liverpool at 0500hrs this morning, could have given you a quick lesson. Bit dark and wet mind.

FK

I find that casting from the bottom of a bank while standing on the line makes the good old FK much more of a challenge. If you manage to achieve a decent cast then you really feel a sense of achievement and catching a fish almost becomes a secondary issue. However, if you do hook something other than bankside vegetation, play a fish and unravel a birdsnest all at the same time, then you've made it.

Back