• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hydropower application for the Swale at Topcliffe.

Just had another look at the Howsham website & lampreys represent a problem to them as it may either mince them up or impede progress. EA need to make careful assessment.
Playing the `Lamprey Card` may be an idea to stall it if not hold it off for a longer period.

The riparian at Asenby has not been officially informed of this scheme but did read something about it in the local paper. He's going to find out more about it nad hopefully lodge an objection.

Same story over here on the Goyt. One's already gone in, with another planned. Despite the disruption to wildlife, both under and above the water, neither Stockport Council or the EA take any heed. After all, it's the latter that have to also give their blessing for these horrendous schemes. I agree completely with Neil Smart's aforementioned view.

A few of us raised objections but the green lobby think they damn well walk on water (or weirs, to be more precise).

We anglers, seemingly, have no one to represent us with this issue.

Just looked at the leeds forum below is the latest post by stanfish, WHAT A JOKE !!!

hi. now IS the time to have your say thats why graham put the link to the e/a site on this topic.stan..

I dont fish that particular stretch and will not go on it as not a LDSAA member but if there is any evidence of an Otter holt around there, I could use it as further evidence when I lodge my objection via PSC-WaterResources@environment-agency.gov.uk (20th March is cutoff if anyone else has the time to pen an email).

It might be an idea to look for Otter prints as a starter, if there were to be prints there would have to be a Holt nearby.

Also as suggested if there are Lamprey in the system that would be a major 'lever'.

I despair I really do talk about double standards, introduce the Otter without thinking about sustainability regarding water quality, and now they want to screw up the whole eco system for a pathetic attempt to generate a few k/w of power.

Any of you guys Angling Trust members......

Just the kind of organisation to help fight a cause like this....if only they had a few more members, because more members = more power.....

I know it would be my first port of call should they decide to try to install one on my local Severn.
Just what I pay my measly £25 odd for.......

Steve

There are normally plenty of otter prints on the bank in the area and I had one session ruined by an otter pup that obviously got separated from it's mother in the dark and did 400 metres of river like a speed boat. The guy running my section regularly observes lamprey from the bridge at Topcliffe during the closed season.
I haven't seen the plans for this proposal but was wondering if the fee Leeds are getting is 30 pieces of silver? From the Leeds forum it is clear that their own members are unhappy, does any one know if the other clubs such as Bradford have been informed?

I spoke to Will Smith at the AT this morning. Usually they represent the club whose stretch is under threat by the Hydropower company. It is, i think, unprecedented that the club has sold out for an annual fee and it is an individual member who has cause for concern. The best angle for the AT to mount an objection here would be to represent one of the other clubs who have rights to the river - upstream or downstream - whose interests here have been so clearly ignored.

However, these clubs would need to be members of the AT and unbelieveably neither Bradford No1 or Bradford City are. Which other clubs might be affected please? I'm going to email him when i have some more suggestions.

Graham, can individual AT members of other clubs raise the issue?

No 1 dropped their AT membership as it had no percieved benefit.....

The other big one with downstream water is West Riding Anglers.

Graham, can individual AT members of other clubs raise the issue?

No 1 dropped their AT membership as it had no percieved benefit.....

Yes i think so, although i didn't speak to their legal team. If a number of us do though it can only help can't it.

Well done Bradford No1 :rolleyes:

Darryl - i will include them in the email.

What about upstream - equally affected potentially? Richmond?

Yes i think so, although i didn't speak to their legal team. If a number of us do though it can only help can't it.

Well done Bradford No1 :rolleyes:

Darryl - i will include them in the email.

What about upstream - equally affected potentially? Richmond?

Ta Graham will get onto the AT as an individual

Upstream is No 1 on one bank not sure above that

Dan,
the section above No1 is Topcliffe Angling, of which I am a member. I'm not sure if the riparian is an AT member, I'll call him tonight and check.

Yea we have this problem down here as well. I have found if you put forward any objections regarding fish it is met with disinterest, however if you argue the point that Otter habitat will be threatened then they will shrink like a salted snail.
Everyone loves Otters!!

Bet they would be interested if Salmon and Sea Trout were mentioned , both find themselves up the Swale, although admittedly in relatively modest numbers .As has been pointed out the migrating lampreys, of which there are many, will be devastated . Being ultra pragmatic , I think the best chance of stopping this would be the potential for scaring /injuring otters or destroying their habitat , or the residents in the flats complaining about noise pollutiion , these screws are VERY noisy

Last edited:
Back