• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hydropower application for the Swale at Topcliffe.

Stuart Brookes

Environment Agency - UK Hydro Ltd

Just been made aware of an application by UK Hydro Ltd for the weir at Topcliffe on the Swale. This weir sits upstream of some of the spawning grounds for barbel on the Swale which can be kissed goodbye if this gets the go ahead.

Yea we have this problem down here as well. I have found if you put forward any objections regarding fish it is met with disinterest, however if you argue the point that Otter habitat will be threatened then they will shrink like a salted snail.
Everyone loves Otters!!

My enemies enemy is my friend even though they are also my enemy. Finally found a use for the furry darlings, having said that wonder what they look like after going through an Archimdiean screw? :rolleyes: :p

Shame you didn't know earlier Stuart, because you could have started an E- petition up, which may have helped. The Angling Trust also has an ongoing interest in petitioning the government about these ludicrous schemes.

Cheers, Dave.

Yea we have this problem down here as well. I have found if you put forward any objections regarding fish it is met with disinterest, however if you argue the point that Otter habitat will be threatened then they will shrink like a salted snail.
Everyone loves Otters!!

Very easy road to follow at this particular location. The weirpool has been home to a family of otters for years.

Looking at the Leeds forum it appears the clubs trustee's have been working in conjunction with UK Hydro Power who are going to provide the club with new car parking and an annual income as well.
I'm not sure if that serves the greater purpose or just their's but they have been consulted and are in favour of the development. My concern is a build up of siltage downstream of the weir and possible reduction in flow which Leeds state has been addressed in the design of this application, might be enough to stop the worm fishing "trout" anglers at Topcliffe in the closed season.

Looking at the Leeds forum it appears the clubs trustee's have been working in conjunction with UK Hydro Power who are going to provide the club with new car parking and an annual income as well.
I'm not sure if that serves the greater purpose or just their's but they have been consulted and are in favour of the development. My concern is a build up of siltage downstream of the weir and possible reduction in flow which Leeds state has been addressed in the design of this application, might be enough to stop the worm fishing "trout" anglers at Topcliffe in the closed season.

Do you know if any other clubs have been liaised with? RSPS? Barbel Society, Brd No 1, Bfd City etc... all have waters not far from the weir

Sorry but if this is true Leeds members must be up in arms!!
"it appears the clubs trustee's have been working in conjunction with UK Hydro Power who are going to provide the club with new car parking and an annual income as well"

How short sighted does a club trustee(s) have to be?? :mad:

You can't match fish the Topcliffe stretch so a new car park and an annual fee sound like a great idea :eek:

Has anyone contacted the AT?

I am a member of the club on the old BS stretch and this is the first I've heard of it, I'll ring riparian tonight and see if he has been contacted.

Sorry but if this is true Leeds members must be up in arms!!
"it appears the clubs trustee's have been working in conjunction with UK Hydro Power who are going to provide the club with new car parking and an annual income as well"

How short sighted does a club trustee(s) have to be?? :mad:

First I'd heard of it was today, and by default, not via any 'official' communication. This suggests the vast majority of Leeds members are unaware not up in arms.

This new found revenue stream means they wont miss my £50......

This new found revenue stream means they wont miss my £50......

I've just read the post on the LDSAA forum from one of the trustees confirming that this horrific news is actually not a bad TV movie. It seems like this was attempted to be snuck through without anyone finding out. Diabolical.

I've just read the post on the LDSAA forum from one of the trustees confirming that this horrific news is actually not a bad TV movie. It seems like this was attempted to be snuck through without anyone finding out. Diabolical.

That's not just a trustee that's the president of the club (stanfish)

Reading between the lines it's the scheme or lose more waters

Reading between the lines it's the scheme or lose more waters

It would appear that way. I do wonder if, after the Catterick sale, this will be the final nail in the coffin for many members that live to the north.

These Hydro schemes are just not viable, the amount of electricity they generate is just not worth the havoc it wreaks on a water course. These things were installed in Scandanavia and were scrapped soon after, the amount of fish that were minced was frightening .

Very true Neil, but it doesn't stop the morons in government subsidising them. The EA are carrying out an online consultation about hydro electric guidelines which I recently filled in. I intended to be constructive but ended up having a bit of a rant. They are a complete waste of time and cause significant damage to river systems.

Nick C

Two points to make.

The Hydro scheme on my local Derwent has led to the bank opposite the outlet collapsing as the water is directed across there, particularly at high flow periods.

Dont get me started on LDSAA, I quit them two seasons ago as they considered keeping their club HQ which looses money over fist a higher priority than keeping river leases. The fact that this scheme is backed by the committee does not surprise me.

Is the Howsham mill on the Yorks Derwent the type?
Archimedes Screw 2009 - Howsham Mill

This is pretty Mickey Mouse if you ask me, but you can opt to buy your electricity from it, apparently. It also makes an awful noise when you are fishing below the weir - the tenants of the expensive flats built in the mill at Topcliffe might be very unhappy with the potential effects & noise pollution.
They did have a video of the screw having a pike dropped into it & coming out in one piece - not sure what it would do to an otter........

Stuart,..
There's still a lot of anglers out there who think an Archimediean screw is something you only get on a Greek package holiday!
We've had a gutfull of these damn fish mincers down south, and I am not aware of any serious application being refused on the back of objections put forward by anglers. The EA think they are wonderful and will help save the planet!
One of my clubs objected to a proposed A/S installation 2-3 years ago on the Wey. We were told by the EA Fisheries regional officer that over 300 applications had been put forward throughout the country, and Woking AA were only one of 2 clubs that had placed an objection!!
Did'nt make a scrap of difference of course,..we still got one,..oh,and they diverted the river down a flood channel during the installation,..imagine the effect that had on the river enviroment!
Still,..not as bad as the automatic gated turbines that were installed on the River Mole at Betchworth,near Boxhill Dorking,..every 20 minutes the river is dammed, so it has become tidal. The only creature that has thrived since that bit of enviromental vandalism are the bl***y Signal crayfish!
You have my deepest sympathys mate.
Dave T:(

Last edited:
Back