• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Humminbird

By the sound of that Stewart, it would seem that the electronics are just not built/assembled robustly enough to withstand the impact as the thing hits the water. May well be that if the electronics were encased in resin or similar after assembly, the thing would then last for years :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Bang on. I guess they are designed to be fished from the back of a boat.
Launching them 40yds with a whack on the water surface just destroys them.

Some of the cheaper chinese fishfinder's sensors on ebay work with the uk models. ;)

Score so far - 7 sensors...2 still working (though I haven't given them much use yet) :(

Stewart - when you say "sensor needed reattaching" do you mean an electrical component has become detatched from the circuit board?

I sensed over twenty years ago that Humminbirds were somehow all bells and whistles and bright lights to catch the punter, "tinny", so went for Eagles.

Both of the latter, after some horrendous on-river use and abuse and tropical "cooking", are still going very nicely thank you.

Despite a fair bit of time searching around the `net I have failed to find any contact details for Humminbird UK (if they even exist).

This year I have replaced a sender unit which lasted 2 hours before packing up. The replacement has now packed up:mad: The units are dried after use and kept in a bag with silica to make sure it stays away from moisture.

The original unit that came with the RF10e lasted ages so I`m a bit miffed that despite bunging an extra tenner on the new sensors that their quoted life of 500 hours I can manage two at the very most................

So, I need to send this one back to Humminbird rather than the supplier to get them to explain whats going on! Has anyone got any contact for them please?

I've had a nose around EBay - if you search on "Fish finder wireless sensor" the Hong Kong replacements are displayed. Worth a punt at about £15 - I think that we need to check that the operating frequencies are compatible with the Humminbird base unit. If they work, then there will be a lot of chuffed people out there. Thanks to the BFW member who put us on the tracks of these units.

What is the range on these? They state 30m, which isn't very good if you want to do the whole of a big river.

I know there are videos etc where you can modify it for longer distance, however this means extending the aerial, never really thought how well they will cast.

What is the range on these? They state 30m, which isn't very good if you want to do the whole of a big river.

I know there are videos etc where you can modify it for longer distance, however this means extending the aerial, never really thought how well they will cast.

The ones I looked at on David's link all stated 50m range :confused:

The depth range was 35m, if that's what you were confused by?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
thinking of trying one of these Hong Kong versions.how do we find out if they are compatible with the UK rod mounted receiver.

I think you chaps with the european versions are ok with these Hong Kong varients - from the Humminbird FAQ :

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the RF operating frequency of the Smartcast product?

This would depend on the product that you own. Products intended for use in the US, Canada and Australia come with a green sensor (bobber). The operating frequency for these products is 916.5 megahertz.

The product which is intended for use in Europe includes an orange sensor (bobber). These products are indicated with an E behind the model name. This product operates at 433.92 megahertz.

The sonar frequency for both of these versions is 125 kilohertz (kHz).

We are often asked about modifying the units and sensors to increase the distance (or range) of this product. Although we have heard of these modifications being done, we absolutely cannot or will not recommend doing this as it is breaking all local laws that relate to RF signal limits. Agencies in the US that govern these limits is the FCC, and in Canada it is the DOC. There are various similar agencies throughout Europe and the UK which govern these specifications. Any modifications done to extend the range or for use of these products with bait boats is illegal and voids all warranties on our product.

"Isn't it about time we saw a Drennan or Korda one?"

What, you have not got one yet then Dave?:):):)

Paul, borrow Sanjay's one mate, it works fine and it opened my eyes up when i used it on my local river!!!!!

Hi Guys,

I have both the hummingbird and the Hong Kong version of the fish finders and they both work together, the transmitter does work with the hummingbird but i had to change to channel B to make them work.

I must say i actually prefer the Hong Kong version over the hummingbird!!

I think you chaps with the european versions are ok with these Hong Kong varients - from the Humminbird FAQ :

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the RF operating frequency of the Smartcast product?

This would depend on the product that you own. Products intended for use in the US, Canada and Australia come with a green sensor (bobber). The operating frequency for these products is 916.5 megahertz.

The product which is intended for use in Europe includes an orange sensor (bobber). These products are indicated with an E behind the model name. This product operates at 433.92 megahertz.

The sonar frequency for both of these versions is 125 kilohertz (kHz).

We are often asked about modifying the units and sensors to increase the distance (or range) of this product. Although we have heard of these modifications being done, we absolutely cannot or will not recommend doing this as it is breaking all local laws that relate to RF signal limits. Agencies in the US that govern these limits is the FCC, and in Canada it is the DOC. There are various similar agencies throughout Europe and the UK which govern these specifications. Any modifications done to extend the range or for use of these products with bait boats is illegal and voids all warranties on our product.

A most helpful post, many thanks. The reliability of the Hong Kong versions cannot be worse that those supplied by Humminbird. The last orange sensor that I bought was towed behind a boat and was not subjected to the impact of casting. It just didn't work. It would be interesting to know the number of returns that Humminbird in the USA receive on theses products. Perhaps it would be a good idea if Humminbird tested these items before putting them in fancy packaging and charging exorbitant prices.

Last edited:
You want to quote me odds that they are all made in China Jim :D

Like you say, they could at least carry out their own quality control when they are shipped in, rather than just repackage, send them out and pocket the money :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

You want to quote me odds that they are all made in China Jim :D

Like you say, they could at least carry out their own quality control when they are shipped in, rather than just repackage, send them out and pocket the money :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Agreed, Dave, I nearly said the same thing in my post. Clearly, the designs are different and they might just originate from different factories. I suppose the difference is that Humminbird put on about a 500% mark-up whereas the cloned version a mere 200%! At least the cloned version provides the buzz of replacing the battery which should make you feel better, even if it still doesn't work! This sort of bad press can do Humminbird no good at all. People will start to have doubts about Humminbird in general and it will have a knock on effect on the sale of their other products. It doesn't help that Humminbird have no UK representative on which to vent our spleen. Mind you, I think the nearest Minn Kota electric outboard service is in Italy. Not good.

Thanks for all the replies, its threads like this that make this forum an excellent source of info:D:D

I have taken the plunge and ordered one of the Hong Kong sensors. As soon as it arrives I`ll take it out for a test and a bit of abuse then report back.

Watch this space!!!!!

one word of warning. I wouldnt buy one if, the average depth of your river is less than 5 deep. As the readings are very un accurate. Thats the complete package.

Jon, I use the Smartcast on places such as the Lower Severn, the Wavon and a large ressie I`m just starting on. I did try to use it on a shallow mere I fish but experienced exactly what you said, total inaccuracy due to the shallow water and silt.

An interesting thread. I've been looking at getting a fish finder to map a couple of waters I'm fishing, but put off by the failures of Hummingbird.

If the Chinese sensors are better than the Hummingbird ones, is it reasonable to surmise that the Chinese receivers would be okay too? The one that Mark linked to is only £45 and is advertised with a 70m range. Anyone tried one?

Andy, dont buy one, borrow mine.

Ben is having it first, but your more than welcome to have it after him..... all I need to do is get a replacement sensor.... so I'll see how Mart gets on with his and order one if they look ok....

Steve

You are all a bunch of cheats get a marker rod out.
Stevo i will borrow it after Andy:D:D:D:D

Back