• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How hard is it.....

On Yer Bike!

I don't know your circumstances Martin but wouldn't you be better off learning to drive and/or buying a car? Sounds a nightmare journey to go fishing and you deserve to catch for the effort in getting there alone

In my early days before i had a motor, I used to cycle down to the Royalty, Christchurch from London on a push bike, staying at youth hostels in Winchester and Burley.:eek:

In my early days before i had a motor, I used to cycle down to the Royalty, Christchurch from London on a push bike, staying at youth hostels in Winchester and Burley.:eek:

My freind and I cycle to all our fishing spots, if its a longer journey then we catch the train cycle the rest.. If i can cycle to the water within 1hour or so then we will use a trailer. Fishing this way makes tackle choosing very tough, i wont buy the rods I want as there is a high possibilty or damage :rolleyes:

The advantage is you can roll straight up to swims and move just as easy:cool:

Now that is commitment. Or obsession. Possibly madness. Come to think of it, probably a bit of all three!

Now that is commitment. Or obsession. Possibly madness. Come to think of it, probably a bit of all three!

And young/silly/enthusiastic!

Then again as the proponent of rolling meat you do like to put the effort in what with all that standing up and walking about.

My fishing style is very much chair based :)

And young/silly/enthusiastic!

Then again as the proponent of rolling meat you do like to put the effort in what with all that standing up and walking about.

My fishing style is very much chair based :)

Yes Simon, Bedchair normally when I see you :D

I would say I've mastered that approach yes!

Frustrating though, I'd love to have different options really but they involve selling my flat and re-locating, which I have given serious thought to given I moved to be able to fish a local carp lake in the first place..

Last edited:
My freind and I cycle to all our fishing spots, if its a longer journey then we catch the train cycle the rest.. If i can cycle to the water within 1hour or so then we will use a trailer. Fishing this way makes tackle choosing very tough, i wont buy the rods I want as there is a high possibilty or damage :rolleyes:

The advantage is you can roll straight up to swims and move just as easy:cool:

Hi Ramon,

Would not travel type rods, that break down into four or five sections not be the answer? I gather there are some superb rods of that type available, and they would fit on your bike, and better still in your trailer, with much less chance of damage.

Just a thought mate, but perhaps you have already been down that rout?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave... we ended up with Grey 9'-12ft stalking rods and the jw youngs barbel stalking rod... but saving space and weight with other stuff can be fun to find too ;)

I was tempted to buy a pair off bob, but I really would feel uncomfortable transporting them:rolleyes:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to fishing solely for barbel. I'm 31 and have fished matches for most of that time! I've caught lots of smaller barbel on float tactics but over the last couple of years I'm finding myself more drawn to these beautiful fish and the surroundings I find them in. Growing up fishing for tench on a gin clear gravel pit I learnt a lot about how the fish would feed. Watching a group of fish feed on my local river wharfe it was interesting to see them adopt a similar approach to the tench! The main problem I'm having is that 90% of the time I can't see the fish and don't even know if they are there at all! When fishing say for roach, I can read a swim by bite indications and shape my fishing around that. It's just hard when your going hours without indications.
This is a fantastic forum and I've been spoilt to be able to learn so much from your
comments,

Regards karl

Back