• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how do you occupy yourself when nothing is happening?

Dave, I have no problem with semi fixed rigs, alarms or those who fish them.

I am indeed considering trying them myself, especially for those all night session and secondly so I don't have to watch the tips all the time!

On the Thames, barbel are not in the majority so many of the bites I have are not the proverbial three foot twitches. Be it bream, chub or else, I'd prefer not to miss these fish either.

I do not come from a "carp" fishing background and hence never tried the semi fixed rig. My own carp fishing is normally with floats on the canal at night which ironically is quite untraditional ;)

Anyhow, I'll probably try the bolt and buzzer approach before too long and report back :)

All the best,
Stephen

My point was there is no real need for semi fixed type bolt rigs Stephen....barbel are total pillocks, so any rig is a bolt rig where they are concerned :D:D

Ok, not 100% true 100% of the time....but close :D

Cheers, Dave.

Barbel are certainly known for powerful takes and carp too. My suspicion is these takes are a result of the fish bolting, combined with their power, be it semi fixed or running rigs?

My own river apprenticeship was served mainly using a touch ledgering method. The very first barbel I caught was on this method using a large cube of meat. I still remember distinctly the take, even after the best part of thirty years. I felt the lead lift and assumed it was just resettling in the flow (we used to fish with a small bomb which would just hold). A few seconds later, I felt the same. Shortly after, the third time it happened again and I decided to strike and the result was my debut barbel was hooked.

What was surprising for me was at no time did I feel a single pull. I was well accustomed to catching chub on the method and there would always be plucks and rattles, and when the big one came you would strike. I had heard of such drop back bites as my debut barbel gave me and likely only struck on the third time as it was out of the norm for the lead to move in quick succession as it did.

My guess is that the fish went to pick up the bait and dislodged the lead. It moved a short was downstream and the fish, found the bait and tried again etc. Either that or the fish had the bait in its mouth all the time? However, the former is probably more likely. From what I have seen of the underwater feeding of barbel (and carp) on video, they nose around the river bed when feeding, not moving that much (probably not enough to hardly move the tip or indicator twenty or thirty yard away). However, when they feel the resistance they spook giving the classic "three foot twitch" or "single toner".

So all in all my preference is to fish methods where I am more involved with the take and the hooking, hence I prefer float fishing for carp on the local canal and probably use the quiver rather than avon section of my rods along with a running rig. I probably should actually try the touch ledgering method again!

However, where low fish densities, multiple rods and long (night) sessions are required I am beginning to appreciate the benefits of bolt rigs and buzzers. Hopefully I can also grab a nap or two in between takes too (not that I am adverse to being kept up all night catching barbel) :D

Stephen

Back