• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how do you occupy yourself when nothing is happening?

My suspicion is that the majority of people fish a running rig rather than semi fixed?

If so, unless one is watching the tips all the time one could quite easily miss the moment and hence the fish. Sure, I don't manage to keep my eyes on the tips for every moment of an eight hour session but if a fish arrives I'd certainly rather not miss it, especially considering I've probably made a two hour round trip or more on top of that. Also, factor in a few blanks and you get the picture!

Stephen

They hook themselves on running rigs in my experience. If you use a bait runner that will screech if you're having a slash or bird watching or whatever.

Not that I have a problem with alarms. I just don't find them necessary the way I fish.

My suspicion is that the majority of people fish a running rig rather than semi fixed?

If so, unless one is watching the tips all the time one could quite easily miss the moment and hence the fish. Sure, I don't manage to keep my eyes on the tips for every moment of an eight hour session but if a fish arrives I'd certainly rather not miss it, especially considering I've probably made a two hour round trip or more on top of that. Also, factor in a few blanks and you get the picture!

Stephen

I suspect you are right about the majority using some form of running rig Stephen. What I don't understand is how that affects anything, or what you are trying to say by making that statement. By which I mean....in no way does using a running rig mean that you will not get the proverbial three foot twitches....or that barbel will not frequently hook themselves in the process, just as they might with a semi fixed lead.

Come to that, I am slightly confused by the rest of your post. You make it plain by your gentle jab in your first post that you don't approve of the use of use of semi fixed leads and electronic alarms, stating that people would be better off watching their tips. You back this up by saying that you will have made a two hour+ round trip to get to your fishing...and suffered several blanks recently to add to your frustration....in other words, you seem to be saying that your fishing time is precious, and so you want to take advantage of every chance you get. You say in those circumstances, and I quote " unless one is watching the tips all the time one could quite easily miss the moment and hence the fish".

Now, that is all fine....and jolly good Mr. Crabtree stuff to boot....but then you go and spoil it all by saying that, and again I quote, "Sure, I don't manage to keep my eyes on the tips for every moment of an eight hour session". Unless I am missing something here Stephen, then that admission means you certainly are in grave danger of "Missing the moment and hence the fish".....in those little lapses of attention :D Could just be that those who use alarms...often do so to cover themselves in precisely that situation :D And yes (though admitting this in a closed room full of died-in-the-wool barbel police would be a VERY bad idea :p).....it does allow you to be ever so slightly naughty and observe nature around you...or whatever it is you do in those times when you feel you need a rest because you are going cross eyed from staring at your rod tip too long :D

Ok, I am pulling your leg a bit here Stephen...I know you are one of the good guys....All I am saying is please don't join the gang of purists :rolleyes: who insist that "their way is the only way"....'cos it definitely aint :D

Cheers, Dave.

As I invariably hold the rod and feel for bites when ledgering, there is no need for any activity other than enjoying my surroundings and the wildlife.

Increasingly float fish which leaves no time for anything else.

But chacun a son gout, as I do at the moment.

Regards,

Hugo

As I invariably hold the rod and feel for bites when ledgering, there is no need for any activity other than enjoying my surroundings and the wildlife.

Increasingly float fish which leaves no time for anything else.

But chacun a son gout, as I do at the moment.

Regards,

Hugo

Exactly Huge, which was what I was trying to say. You would think my being a simpleton would allow me to make my point in a simple manner. I think I should avoid reading items such as War and Peace...it has a terrible affect on me :D

Cheers, Dave.

I don't need a portable TV/radio/book or newspaper ta pass the time,i sit and survey my gear,are my rods ok.....errr not sure as my brain urts,so better
put a post on BFW asking,is my 12 foot 1.75 test avon any good fer
barbell.
Me rodrests,not sure so fink ill put a "wot rod rest post" up,as mebbe they
are stopping me from getting a double.

Yeah,an I bought a s--t landing net pole,agin cos I aint even got alf a brain,
an it don't work iffin its dirty,or aint sprayed wiv WD40,better ask more brainless herberts who bought the same s--te,and are too scared to take it back to the shop,and ask fer a refund:mad::mad:

So lots ter fink about while rod wotching:D:D,..like "wots my fave hook size"

Last edited:
I don't need a portable TV/radio/book or newspaper ta pass the time,i sit and survey my gear,are my rods ok.....errr not sure as my brain urts,so better
barbell.

an it don't work iffin its dirty,or aint sprayed wiv WD40,better ask more brainless herberts who bought the same s--te,and are too scared to take it back to the shop,and ask fer a refund:mad::mad:

So lots ter fink about while rod wotching:D:D,..like "wots my fave hook size"

What you trying to say Howard ? :D

barbell.

So lots ter fink about while rod wotching:D:D

Howard, I am struggling to get the full meaning of your post which seems to refer to the poor intellectual ability of certain BFW posters. Are all your hideous spelling mistakes intentional? If not, please could you correct them and then resubmit your post so BFW members can determine whether or not your comments apply to them.

Many thanks.

When after barbel I'm never in one spot for more than 30 mins so apart from checking the time on my phone I'm normally quite good at staying fixed on the rod tip while wondering which spot to walk to and try next.

I suspect you are right about the majority using some form of running rig Stephen. What I don't understand is how that affects anything, or what you are trying to say by making that statement. By which I mean....in no way does using a running rig mean that you will not get the proverbial three foot twitches....or that barbel will not frequently hook themselves in the process, just as they might with a semi fixed lead.

Come to that, I am slightly confused by the rest of your post. You make it plain by your gentle jab in your first post that you don't approve of the use of use of semi fixed leads and electronic alarms, stating that people would be better off watching their tips. You back this up by saying that you will have made a two hour+ round trip to get to your fishing...and suffered several blanks recently to add to your frustration....in other words, you seem to be saying that your fishing time is precious, and so you want to take advantage of every chance you get. You say in those circumstances, and I quote " unless one is watching the tips all the time one could quite easily miss the moment and hence the fish".

Now, that is all fine....and jolly good Mr. Crabtree stuff to boot....but then you go and spoil it all by saying that, and again I quote, "Sure, I don't manage to keep my eyes on the tips for every moment of an eight hour session". Unless I am missing something here Stephen, then that admission means you certainly are in grave danger of "Missing the moment and hence the fish".....in those little lapses of attention :D Could just be that those who use alarms...often do so to cover themselves in precisely that situation :D And yes (though admitting this in a closed room full of died-in-the-wool barbel police would be a VERY bad idea :p).....it does allow you to be ever so slightly naughty and observe nature around you...or whatever it is you do in those times when you feel you need a rest because you are going cross eyed from staring at your rod tip too long :D

Ok, I am pulling your leg a bit here Stephen...I know you are one of the good guys....All I am saying is please don't join the gang of purists :rolleyes: who insist that "their way is the only way"....'cos it definitely aint :D

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, I have no problem with semi fixed rigs, alarms or those who fish them.

I am indeed considering trying them myself, especially for those all night session and secondly so I don't have to watch the tips all the time!

On the Thames, barbel are not in the majority so many of the bites I have are not the proverbial three foot twitches. Be it bream, chub or else, I'd prefer not to miss these fish either.

I do not come from a "carp" fishing background and hence never tried the semi fixed rig. My own carp fishing is normally with floats on the canal at night which ironically is quite untraditional ;)

Anyhow, I'll probably try the bolt and buzzer approach before too long and report back :)

All the best,
Stephen

Dave, I have no problem with semi fixed rigs, alarms or those who fish them.

I am indeed considering trying them myself, especially for those all night session and secondly so I don't have to watch the tips all the time!

On the Thames, barbel are not in the majority so many of the bites I have are not the proverbial three foot twitches. Be it bream, chub or else, I'd prefer not to miss these fish either.

I do not come from a "carp" fishing background and hence never tried the semi fixed rig. My own carp fishing is normally with floats on the canal at night which ironically is quite untraditional ;)

Anyhow, I'll probably try the bolt and buzzer approach before too long and report back :)

All the best,
Stephen

Stephen, i would be staggered if anyone who's done any amount of Barbel fishing on a variety of rivers using all the different baits available hasn't found a need for fishing semi-fixed at some time or other. As for Barbel generally hooking themselves, OH NO THEY DON'T !! not by a long shot.

Last edited:
Simon, I keep telling the Mrs I need to do more barbel fishing but she isn't convinced :D

What situations would you say require the use of a semi fixed set up?

Stephen

Simon, I keep telling the Mrs I need to do more barbel fishing but she isn't convinced :D

What situations would you say require the use of a semi fixed set up?

Stephen

Simplistically mate, whenever they are sucking in baits and blowing them back out without giving any indication, this is easy to ascertain when stalking/sight fishing in clear water but virtually impossible in a big river situation, but believe me they are VERY good at it ! I've honestly lost count of the fish i've caught when its possible to see the bait by striking the instant it disappears into their mouths after watching them doing this repeatedly.

A fixed lead/shortish hooklength does at times alleviate this but even thats not foolproof !

Last edited:
I occupy myself by fishing, watching the water, feeding small amounts of bait in and trying to picture what's happening beneath the surface. Questioning myself if there's barbel in the swim, if not where are they! I do get distracted watching the wildlife that comes along but a quick flick of the bait runner keeps things safe. Otherwise, I watch the rod top constantly for any signs. My wife asked what do I think about when fishing, the reply was "how to catch more fish"

I use a 8lb mainline with a ledger and a rubber bead, then tie a swivel and a 5lb hair rig on about 2 foot long. The lead is left to just run on the line.

Then i just sit and stare at the rod tip like a cat watching a goldfish. I have to make all my pva bags, hooklengths etc the previous evening cos i just cant tear my eyes away! Only a fish at the surface can grab my attention.

When I did a bit of carping you never went near a zipped up bivvy, it was always one of three things, hot boxing, evacuating the bowels or.........well you know..........

They invariably left the rods out though..

Back