• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how do you occupy yourself when nothing is happening?

Chris Cheshire

I used to sit and sort out my kit whilst the fish wern't biting, tie new hair rigs etc, but since my kit is in such fine order after a number of unproductive sessions I had to find an alternative way to amuse myself....

I have now taken to listening to audio books to enrich my knowledge whilst the fish aren't biting.

what do you do?

Test Match Special on Radio 4 LW. Alternatively a small pair of binoculars and the RSPB bird identifier website to learn something new.

Sadly, I am often dealing with work emails. Making a call to someone is often a good way to get a bite though. Otherwise, I just watch the wildlife around me or make up rigs/PVA bags etc.

Get a Dslr and start snapping; sunrise, sunset, stars, insects, birds, flowers etc etc.

Think about why nothing is happening and what you can do to make something happen. Then there are times when you know you are doing it right and there is just nothing happening.

Got a new smart phone last week and on the day I got it I texted the bailiff to say "nothings happening this evening" at which point the rod nearly jumped off the rod rest! Result, 9lb 10oz barbel and a photo taken with the new phone.

Think about why nothing is happening and what you can do to make something happen. Then there are times when you know you are doing it right and there is just nothing happening.

Got a new smart phone last week and on the day I got it I texted the bailiff to say "nothings happening this evening" at which point the rod nearly jumped off the rod rest! Result, 9lb 10oz barbel and a photo taken with the new phone.

can i have his number please, that one sounds worth a try.... :D

Watch the tips?

Is everyone here fishing semi fixed rigs with alarms and such?

Stephen

most of my fishing is done into the first hour of darkness, and although i do have isotopes on the tips, i like to have an alarm as back up (set almost to silent as i cant bear the noise they make)

most of my fishing is done into the first hour of darkness, and although i do have isotopes on the tips, i like to have an alarm as back up (set almost to silent as i cant bear the noise they make)

I also use the dreaded bite alarms but invested in some atts silent heads with vibrating remote which kept in the pocket soon alerts me to a bite if my eyes happen to wander.

if im fishing in the day, or getting plenty of knocks then i too will sit and watch the tip.

However down on the lower severn it can be very slow (for some of us) and the only way to stop yourself from going completely insane is to find something to occupy yourself.

the audio books however do allow me to stay sat focused on my tips....

i log on here with my smart phone and laugh my ******s off at the Wye river reports :p

Chris come eel fishing with me makes lower severn seems a piece of cake. I take a radio with me

I like to keep roving so always thinking about the next swim or change of bait and rig. Never think of anything else than the fishing, that why I go !!

My suspicion is that the majority of people fish a running rig rather than semi fixed?

If so, unless one is watching the tips all the time one could quite easily miss the moment and hence the fish. Sure, I don't manage to keep my eyes on the tips for every moment of an eight hour session but if a fish arrives I'd certainly rather not miss it, especially considering I've probably made a two hour round trip or more on top of that. Also, factor in a few blanks and you get the picture!

Stephen

Back