• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How do you cast in the dark?

I do a lot of night fishing for eels .What I do look for a marker tree or some thing like that seems to work and for barbel on the river you be surprise how close they come in so you should hit the money most of the time

Last edited:
I do a lot of night fishing for eels .What I do look for a marker tree or some thing like that seems to work and for barbell on the river you be surprise how close they come in so you should hit the money most of the time

Agreed. Often caught them a rod length out and that is when sitting well back.

Simples!

Hugo

I'm quite confident in fishing open water at night. I think the fish like the cover of trees during the daylight as it offers them cover, at night it seems to me that they lose their caution and can quite happily feed in a foot of water. I've fished under trees in the day and had good results but the same swim quite often dies down completely once its dark.
I first noticed this when my bites dried up and i thought it'd be easier to just plop it out into open water even though it was shallow, and all of a sudden the bites came back.

As someone said earlier in the thread, they swim! So I wouldnt be afraid of having two or three different spots in one swim to change between.

Thanks for all the replies on this, guess it's down to swim choice and the right spot rather than pin point accurate casting. No need to cast close to features overhead on the far bank 'fish swim' even in rivers that are 3 or 4 rod lengths wide.

Cheers

Back