• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How do you cast in the dark?

Nick Clark

How do you cast in the dark? Stupid question really but would be interested to know tactics from those that favour night fishing. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and faced with some swims where the target is across the bank under a willow I wouldn't trust myself to get it just right.

If I am fishing close to a feature such as over hanging willows a couple of casts before the light fades is usually enough to get my eye in so to speak.

Having said that I very rarely fish more than a rod length out on my chosen waters so it's never much of an issue.

if you was on a lake then you could use the reflections of trees on the water as viual casting points, on rivers you will have to use the trees/bushes as a guide and try to undercast rather than overcast, one last tip is to use a weight over heavy so you can feather the cast more quickly

Use the tried and tested technique of marking your mainline at the right distance (during the day) and being absolutely certain of the casting position and target.

Same as Ben. On small rivers if you are not fishing under your rod tip light is needed to hit the spot. I try to avoid recasting at all if the conditions allow. I fish short sessions though where the bait can be in the water up to 4/5hrs.

During daylight count how many seconds it takes to said spot and you wont be far off in the dark as long as you put the same power into the cast;) always be ready to feather down:eek:

I use a pva bag on the lead and you can usually see it as you swing it out.Have tried turning on headtorch and even in a small stream as long as you do not bash the lead in, you can usually get away with it.You might try using one of the beads that glow when you shine a torch on them instead of a bead above your swivel,they work well,the advantage is you can also see it when you wind in.You do not have to wave your hand in the air trying to catch your lead

It's not the casting that's the problem it's the reeling in after an hour only for the line to lift clear of the water and up into the tree. :D

Eat plenty of carrots to develop your night vision, then learn to re bait etc without a torch, that buggers it back up ;) :)

I use some size two pole elastic on my line as a guide and clip it up even if I'm not fishing to a feature. If you hook in the next cast is back on the spot also you can fine tune it to get closer to the tree or snag.

I have rarely known it to be so dark that you can't still recognise the basic features of the swim, which is enough to give you the direction....and muscle memory does the rest. I suspect that we probably subconsciously overcompensate if casting towards a structure, so it may well fall a yard or so short...but that doesn't matter nearly so much in the dark anyway.

Cheers, Dave.

Back