• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How do you cast in the dark?

Simply set your sights in the day where you want to fish, as its getting dark set your line clip or put some powergum on your line when you are sure that you are on the area you want to fish. Best not to switch on your torch headlight on some rivers as it will spook them. Rivers like the Trent or Severn you could put the lamp of a police helicopter and it would'nt make a shred of difference.

Hope this helps.
Avvy

I think most of my methods have been covered, i.e. carefully with a head torch and some practice in daylight/ muscle memory.

One tip for casting by trees, light or dark is to tie the hook back to the main line using pva tape so if you touch the trees, you touch them with the lead or feeder and not the hook.

never really had a problem casting at night
after casting all day long to the same spot i get the feel and power needed to get it back on target and just trust this when its night..quick look with the torch shows where it went in and most of the time its right, feeling the force i guess

regards
Luke

never really had a problem casting at night
after casting all day long to the same spot i get the feel and power needed to get it back on target and just trust this when its night..quick look with the torch shows where it went in and most of the time its right, feeling the force i guess

regards
Luke

How can you post as Simon, but sign off as Luke???:eek:

Simply set your sights in the day where you want to fish, as its getting dark set your line clip or put some powergum on your line when you are sure that you are on the area you want to fish. Best not to switch on your torch headlight on some rivers as it will spook them. Rivers like the Trent or Severn you could put the lamp of a police helicopter and it would'nt make a shred of difference.

Hope this helps.
Avvy

Chris,

To be honest I have never known Barbel to be spooked by a head torch, even when netting them, no reaction at all to the light being switched on. I generally fish a river around 4 feet deep and two to three rod lengths wide. I know most of the other anglers use head torches too and still catch plenty. When you are fishing a narrow river with lots of overhanging trees you need to cast beneath it is pretty essential.

Nice try Chris but we all know you just Googled 'The Force'! ;) It's OK - i'm an atheist who hates Star Wars but you need to know this sh!t for pub quizzes, crosswords etc.

Chris,

To be honest I have never known Barbel to be spooked by a head torch, even when netting them, no reaction at all to the light being switched on. I generally fish a river around 4 feet deep and two to three rod lengths wide. I know most of the other anglers use head torches too and still catch plenty. When you are fishing a narrow river with lots of overhanging trees you need to cast beneath it is pretty essential.

Thats your way and good for you. My opinion differs.

Guys I'm a star wars (the original not that **** that came out late or the **** that disney will produce) fan.
Surely these arent the barbel your looking for is a perfect description.
Im not going to use those little faces any more as you may think Im the next hitler. I see now how Adrian Williams post got confused.

Peace out barbel seekers.

Thats your way and good for you. My opinion differs.

Guys I'm a star wars (the original not that **** that came out late or the **** that disney will produce) fan.
Surely these arent the barbel your looking for is a perfect description.
Im not going to use those little faces any more as you may think Im the next hitler. I see now how Adrian Williams post got confused.

Peace out barbel seekers.

Not really a Star Wars fan, but then I never played with train sets or stuff like that, BUT how can you dismiss the not even made Disney Star Wars as ****?

It's Disney.

You have to be a fan :rolleyes:

Not a disney fan Neil but you struggle and struggle on the lower severn, perhaps you need a bit of the disney magic,

Cheers Walt.

Back