• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hose pipe ban's!!

Kenneth Thompson

Finally, however not down my way in christchurch where the avon and stour are allready painfully low.

Looking at all the comments and reports on this so far there has been no mention of the rivers being low because of the water companies already taking too much.

all Jo pubic does is winge saying, 'why should i keep paying the same amount if im not alowed to use what i want.... ' without absolutly no consideration to as where siad water will come from.

My bestt mate works for the enviroment agency in the flooding department, and he told me the other day that the official stance of the enviroment agencey is that they would see the watercompanies satified with the amount of water they need before they will be concerned with the the river levels. He said if push came to shove the rivers would be allowed to dry up so that the water companies can keep supporting their requirements........

What hope have we got.

should of seen some of the comments on this story on yahoo news, most don't care and think it is a endless source,
one comment was,
plenty of water in my taps, we don't need rain it's a load of bull!
selfish types who think it's more important to keep the car clean than stop rivers drying up.

That's the real issue imo Colin along with the lack of rain. Our money should be spent on repairs, not bonuses and divident payments.

Cliff, thats enough to fill Haningfield in 9 months!

Hi Colin,

As said in an earlier thread, as long as they can keep on convincing us it's all our fault, they don't need to worry....they can keep on paying out big dividends to their shareholders, and fat wage packets to themselves. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the fat cat bonuses are paid out for successfully keeping things quiet, so that they can continue avoiding paying out for urgently required repairs :rolleyes:

Obviously, we will have to change our way of life, especially if global warming is going to significantly change the world climate in a way which will lessen rainfall in the UK, and/or our government is going to continue with the current trend of increasing immigration levels.

However, were our government to force the foreign owned water companies to get their house in order, and deal with all the criminal leakage from their pipe network, it would make a vast difference.

Cheers, Dave.

we had leaks in my road every year for 30 years, until veolia water changed all the pipes to rot resistant plastic a few years ago., they need to do alot of more of it.

Stupid country, we have a gas pipe under the sea from norway to scotland,just a few miles!!
but seem unable to construct a waterpipe from the north of england to the south,
so come the northan floods,we let it go straight to the seas

Hi Ken,

Had you had a little drinkey when you wrote that?

Anyway, I thought I was your best mate!

Seriously though, you are right but, alas, that is the way of things and frustratingly, always will be. my colleagues at work think i've gone mad when I start whittering on about such matters. I've been saying for 6 months, "just wait 'till you're having to buy the stuff in bottles 'cos you cant get it out of a tap"!

I think the penny is now in the slot but yet to drop. I really REALLY hope I'm proved wrong though.

Best regards as ever,

Jeff

I read an article in National Geographic a few years ago that predicted wars over water rather as they now occur over oil rights. Turkey for example has dammed the Euphrates meaning that they can turn the taps off in countries downstream.

What I cannot understand is why there cannot create shallow basins to catch floodwater and then pump the water back up to the higher reservoirs. Zillions of gallons of water runs off out to sea every time it rains.

Anyway, according to our local BBC channel Look East :confused: you cannot wash your car or fill your garden pond or pool unless it has fish in it. How long before they are putting carp in swimming pools to get round the ban? Or what about goldfish bowls on the rear parcel shelf in cars? :D

p.s. Who is to blame for foreign companies owning our utilities? Us of course. Maggie sold us shares in the companies cheap. We sold them on for a small profit, and where are they now?

Last edited by a moderator:
and you can use a hosepipe to wash a pet but not the lawn, so people will wash their dog on the lawn...work that out.:confused:

It's not really any wonder that people struggle with this notion. The government has just relaxed the planning regulations to allow for more housebuilding to take place to help with the housing shortage, yet rivers are drying all the while. As is typical with the governments of recent years, the message is so contradictory as to see it being totally ignored!!
Net migration into this country stands at 250,000 people a year! That really helps with a water shortage doesn't it?

Regards

Damian

It's the same joined-up (not) Government thinking in Cyprus. Allow planning permission for a swimming pool for every house even if the pool takes up 80% of the available garden area (I kid you not). And while arguing about whether they can afford a desalination plant to make up the current shortfall, agree to build five new golf courses that will need masses of water!

Going to use a watering can from my waterbutt,my hosepipe is 2ft away so will fill the butt with it.
Will use no more water than the family of 6 up the road,or the 10 polish car washes
around my town.

If you can water your garden with a watering can and you can fill that can with a hosepipe, then you can leave the hosepipe in the watering can and not break the law!! it is true i have asked the local water authority!. The madness of this hosepipe ban is we cant wash our cars with a hose but the local car wash can!! absolute joke! water authorities continue to sell water off to other counties and pay out large dividends whilst being the biggest polluters/ abusers of the rivers in the country!

Well, that's made my mind up for me: I am going to run all domestic taps - sinks, bath etc - full-bore non-stop 365 24/7 as a protest against people who can claim £2 million off the EU in agricultural subsidies whilst almost certainly privately putting two fingers up to it. Help get rid of some fishy vermin - wild trout, those who fish for them and the like, too. Yes, definitely ... they're going on now...

Finally, however not down my way in christchurch where the avon and stour are allready painfully low.

Looking at all the comments and reports on this so far there has been no mention of the rivers being low because of the water companies already taking too much.

all Jo pubic does is winge saying, 'why should i keep paying the same amount if im not alowed to use what i want.... ' without absolutly no consideration to as where siad water will come from.

My bestt mate works for the enviroment agency in the flooding department, and he told me the other day that the official stance of the enviroment agencey is that they would see the watercompanies satified with the amount of water they need before they will be concerned with the the river levels. He said if push came to shove the rivers would be allowed to dry up so that the water companies can keep supporting their requirements........

What hope have we got.
sorry but thats a joke.

Back