• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice???

I really like the curve shank hook from bank tackle, bought barbed one in different sizes, but I found sometimes it is difficult to unhook the fish, will give barbless a go.
Yeah I buy micro barbed then squeeze the barb down to leave a bump.
The only time I leave barbs in place is on 1 side of a treble hook. (1 barbed 2 barbless)
This is to simply stop me throwing the dead bait from the hooks and rarely does it end up in the pike.

I'm not a fan on the Bank Tackle hooks - two have straightened on me; one with a fish, the other pulling from a snag. Size 10 both times.
Granted I was using braid mainline with the fish, however I'd like to have confidence when putting pressure on.
The snag - was using 12lb mono and I pulled for a break from a snag on the far bank of the trent. The hook came back straight, which is disappointing.
Moved on to Korum S5s and Korun wide gape, in size 8.

Been using Teflon rapier for years..

I'm not a fan on the Bank Tackle hooks - two have straightened on me; one with a fish, the other pulling from a snag. Size 10 both times.
Granted I was using braid mainline with the fish, however I'd like to have confidence when putting pressure on.
The snag - was using 12lb mono and I pulled for a break from a snag on the far bank of the trent. The hook came back straight, which is disappointing.
Moved on to Korum S5s and Korun wide gape, in size 8.
I never had an issue with bank tackle hooks, but I had few straightened with drennan hooks in the past.

I’ve had a couple straighten out (size 10) when pulling for a break , but that’s expected , plus I only lose the hook and not the feeder / bomb etc

Yep, not used a barbed hook for barbel for many (~15) years ....not since I learned how to keep a tight line to a hooked fish😁
I started using micro barbed last year after never using barbed before due to losing 1 in 3 fish to hook pulls most of which were when I’d got the fish to within a rod length out. I’d started using new rods at the start of the season and that’s the only thing I could put it down to. My old rod was a lot softer so could handle the lunges under the rod tip. After losing what felt like moby dick on the lower Severn I switched to micro barbed and have only lost a couple since always within a few seconds of being hooked

For me, that's less than satisfactory. What if that was a big barbel? That's the point (excuse the pun) really.
There’s way more force pulling for a break ( caught on a snag) than I’d ever put on a barbel , I mean I’m literally walking back with rod in hand ( rod is pointing straight to the snag ) and line singing in the breeze
Plus the barbel don’t grow that big in Yorkshire 😉

There’s way more force pulling for a break ( caught on a snag) than I’d ever put on a barbel , I mean I’m literally walking back with rod in hand ( rod is pointing straight to the snag ) and line singing in the breeze
Yeah - I get that (size wise), but the hook shouldn't be the weak point in an angler's rig, in my opinion. Pulling out of a snag aside, it certainly shouldn't straighten in a fish's mouth.

So, for me, Bank Tackle hooks are no longer part of my terminal tackle.

Yeah - I get that (size wise), but the hook shouldn't be the weak point in an angler's rig, in my opinion. Pulling out of a snag aside, it certainly shouldn't straighten in a fish's mouth.

So, for me, Bank Tackle hooks are no longer part of my terminal tackle.
Yeah, I agree, if the hook straighten in a fish’s mouth, bin it.

I've been a Gardner user for many years.

Their Talon Tip wide gapes are exceptional hooks. The size 10's are a great size for a lot of different hookbaits from maggots to 15mm boilies. Anything bigger I'll use a size 8 and big meat a size 2.

The thick wire gauge doesn't impede sharpness or performance despite making them a heavy hook.

The Gardner Speci Hooks in 12/14/16 are the same hook just marketed differently for the likes of us and tench anglers.

Don't mistake them for the new Speci Beak Point hooks though, these have only been around a couple of years and are poor in comparison. Thin wire gauge, strange shaped eye, not particularly sharp and poorly engineered where the eye is closed against the shank.

Thanks

Lewis

NO NO NO !!!!!!!! NEVER EVER DO THAT. You could end up with a lead or feeder flying at you with terrific speed. Keep the tip of the rod as low as possible, preferbly under the water.

NO NO NO !!!!!!!! NEVER EVER DO THAT. You could end up with a lead or feeder flying at you with terrific speed. Keep the tip of the rod as low as possible, preferbly under the water.
Thanks for your concern 😊

100% correct this is what can happen...................................... he was very lucky it could have been his EYE !!!!!

Attachments

• lead mouth.jpg
    lead mouth.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 131
I've been a Gardner user for many years.

Their Talon Tip wide gapes are exceptional hooks. The size 10's are a great size for a lot of different hookbaits from maggots to 15mm boilies. Anything bigger I'll use a size 8 and big meat a size 2.

The thick wire gauge doesn't impede sharpness or performance despite making them a heavy hook.

The Gardner Speci Hooks in 12/14/16 are the same hook just marketed differently for the likes of us and tench anglers.

Don't mistake them for the new Speci Beak Point hooks though, these have only been around a couple of years and are poor in comparison. Thin wire gauge, strange shaped eye, not particularly sharp and poorly engineered where the eye is closed against the shank.

Thanks

Lewis
Talon tips are great hooks. Last time I was looking in several shops. Could only see mugga Carp hooks.

In one of the rain breaks in the cricket this morning I dropped Bank Tackle an email suggesting that there might be a market for at least a size 12 in the range. I’ll let you know their response Joe…..on the subject of cricket! I wish I’d stayed in bed ☹️
Some good news for Bank Tackle hook users. Had a reply back from Peter Chick at BT this morning and they do intend adding smaller sizes to the range. The bad news is that no date a the moment 😩

Back