• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hinders elip pellets

strange question

was told today by someone who shall remain(gormless),that elips and eliptical pellets are made by totally different ingrediants,as hed checked this in the wigan concise dictionary:eek:

I gave up on Hinders elips pellets years ago in my opinion light in colour low in oil. I use Mintral Elips now, very Dark and very high in oil. I only use them as a hook bait, but grid them up and use in the feeder. Try them they work.

Regards Ray Thorpe

colour

the sonubaits ones are a lot darker than the minstrel pellets at the moment and seem to contain more oil content.

Just out of interest how quickly do all these pellets lose their 'dark' colour once in the water? Indeed, has anyone found a brand that keep their colour? If we take the lead of the carpers, who've been fishing 'washed-out' boilies for some time with more than a modicum of success (particularly on hard-fished waters), then perhaps the paler colour could be an advantage.

One of the reason's i prefer Sonu's pellets over Mistral's is they keep their colour better. I found Mistral's pellets end up very pale ( almost white ) after a short time in water. The same thing happens with Sonu's ready made barbel pastes - the hemp n halibut is almost black when you cast it out, and a very pale grey if/when it comes back in! Going back to the pellets it seemed to me that the colour change of the Mistral baits was due to oil that had conjealed on the outside of the pellet ( giving it a white-ish coating ) where as Sonu's just seem to go a shade or two lighter in colour. This could be because Mistral's have a higher oil content or they lack an emulsifier to help the oil disperse in water. Either way i prefer darker baits when it's low and clear in summer so will be sticking with the Sonu's. Saying that - if this rain carries on it'll be half a can of spam going out next weekend! ;)

One of the reason's i prefer Sonu's pellets over Mistral's is they keep their colour better. I found Mistral's pellets end up very pale ( almost white ) after a short time in water. The same thing happens with Sonu's ready made barbel pastes - the hemp n halibut is almost black when you cast it out, and a very pale grey if/when it comes back in! Going back to the pellets it seemed to me that the colour change of the Mistral baits was due to oil that had conjealed on the outside of the pellet ( giving it a white-ish coating ) where as Sonu's just seem to go a shade or two lighter in colour. This could be because Mistral's have a higher oil content or they lack an emulsifier to help the oil disperse in water. Either way i prefer darker baits when it's low and clear in summer so will be sticking with the Sonu's. Saying that - if this rain carries on it'll be half a can of spam going out next weekend! ;)

:D:D:D:D the latter sounds the best bet so far Andy;) Sonu for me aswel;) which where a lot darker than the Mistral ones

Brian

I would have thought that you would be glad that the pellets were different to last years, you may catch more!!!!!.

i cant believe what all the fuss is about.if the fish are having their having it no matter what make of pellet your using,shade or oil content ,imo its a confidence thing. i have used elips from bfw teme 7 and hinders my catch rate is no different.a question for you if you use paste wrapped round your pellet and depending how long before you get a bite as the fish gone for the pellet or paste as their different textures.
,light pellet ,dark pellet.oily pellet,less oily pellet,who knows maybe one day doctor dolittle will tell us .good luck to all ,may the pellet be with you.

Hi Jamie,
yes you are quite right, if the fish are taking the bait then that is all that matters, but the point is when you can't present a bait as i have always done because of the way the new batch of pellet has been manufactured, the pellet would now be difficult to drill and cut because of their poor quality.
Another point about the free delivery, you have to spent over £50 to get it, another rip off.
As far as i am concerned i will not use Hinders again, they have ruined what was a superb pellet, and i am sure that it is all down to cost, still i have gained a lot of very good information from you guys and for that i thank you.
I just pray that Phil Nixon runs out of bait and comes begging, i have a few tins of luncheon meat you can have.
Brian.

I have had no problems with Hinders elips, including the latest batch which are leaking oil. They have caught fish on all the rivers that I have fished, unless the fish are being fussy and want an emergency boilie from my bag, but then I do not drill or glue them.

Irrespective of the manufacturer and content of the elip, I always thought that drilling and gluing was an inferior method of attaching elips to a hair, they always seemed to break down within 30 minutes. I use a loop on the hair and they last about 90 minutes before I have to replace them.

But like all methods everyone has their own opinion and there is no right or wrong, just what works for the individual angler.

As for the postage from Hinders, just wait for their deals, ask your mates and buy in bulk.

Dave

Quiet possible that they have just switched production suppliers.Practically all
our hard pellet comes from aquaculture feed suppliers practically
the difference between extrusion machinery and constituents can produce quite
a difference in aesthetic quality of the pellet - i.e. skretting generally
seem to use coarser less consistent components and meals and get a rougher
finish on the pellet conversely coppens EU produce far more uniform consistently
darker pellets than skretting. I think that the majority of 'angling bait' suppliers
are making the switch to coppens as they already offER 'dedicated' angling bait lines - with more desireable formulations AND pre-drilled
optiions (Pretty sure they supply sonu.)
and the overall aesthetics of the pellet suit our picky fishing tastes than that of a
salmon farmer. As for the oil accumulation at the bottom of the bag;
could be likely that they aren't lying about the oil content, perhaps its purely an old batch
and its leached out (extrusion makes a pellet porous) - additionally pellet left for too long will take on a darker pigmentation as the fats+oils inside oxidise - turning them
rancid therefore it is of note to mention that pellet stored for over a year is actually a threat to fish - if fed in any quantity.
Surely the manufacturers specification must be quoted on the bags provided - if there is any genuine discrepancy then someone can certianly work themselves a claim in the order of a new pair of barbel rods ;]

personally i wouldn't be worried about the pellets washing out, in fact as long as they hadn't completely 100% washed out after 45mins i'd prefer them on the basis that a) I want a pellet that leaks out the oil/attraction 2) 99.9% of the time i will rebait within 45mins.

I'd be much more concerned with a pellet that remained as new after 45mins in water.

However i take the point re: dry pellets - I would not use a dry(ish) pellet on the hook, however i would (and do) buy them as I actually re-hydrate all my pellets anyway using fish oils/amino's etc, with the aim to get as much leak off as possible within 45 mins. I could add colour at this stage too if i wanted a particular shade of pellet. (but i dont as they come out a nice deep red/brown anyway)

if anyones got any of these "dodgy" pellets they dont want to use then send them my way - i'll be happy to give you something for them :)

Quiet possible that they have just switched production suppliers.Practically all
our hard pellet comes from aquaculture feed suppliers practically
the difference between extrusion machinery and constituents can produce quite
a difference in aesthetic quality of the pellet - i.e. skretting generally
seem to use coarser less consistent components and meals and get a rougher
finish on the pellet conversely coppens EU produce far more uniform consistently
darker pellets than skretting. I think that the majority of 'angling bait' suppliers
are making the switch to coppens as they already offER 'dedicated' angling bait lines - with more desireable formulations AND pre-drilled
optiions (Pretty sure they supply sonu.)
and the overall aesthetics of the pellet suit our picky fishing tastes than that of a
salmon farmer. As for the oil accumulation at the bottom of the bag;
could be likely that they aren't lying about the oil content, perhaps its purely an old batch
and its leached out (extrusion makes a pellet porous) - additionally pellet left for too long will take on a darker pigmentation as the fats+oils inside oxidise - turning them
rancid therefore it is of note to mention that pellet stored for over a year is actually a threat to fish - if fed in any quantity.
Surely the manufacturers specification must be quoted on the bags provided - if there is any genuine discrepancy then someone can certianly work themselves a claim in the order of a new pair of barbel rods ;]

A very informative post, many thanks.

Hi all,
I just got a 5kg bag today and they look and feel fine. But then I went there and had a dig about and picked out a bag I liked the look of.
Some thing to think about when I need some more though.
Rich

Last edited:
Back