• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hinders elip pellets

Last season I bought Cliff and me an order of Hinders pellets. When they arrived they were a lot lighter and drier than previously. Because I was purchasing these for a "mate" (and I use the term in the loosest of senses as I am actually more of a free guide/guru to Cliff) I was worried that he might judge me by his own standards (...he's from Essex) and assume that I had stitched him up by replacing what had always in previous years been a deep brown, oily and smelly pellet with a pale and apparently sub standard product.

So, I went onto the Hinders website and there was a message saying that because they could not source the original fishmeal they had had to replace it with white fishmeal and that they had had loads of enquiries but wanted to reassure all their old customers that they were basically the same thing and had the same oil content but were just a bit lighter.

Cliff seemed happy with that (but then again he isn't fussy about his bait or tackle - you should see the dodgy barbel "rod" he uses - God knows where he got it...). Anyway, long story short, I ended up cadging some of the previous season's Hinders out of an old friend (a proper friend) and having no confidence in the lighter ones they are still sat in a bucket at home, untouched. I wouldn't use them for hookbaits, will probably end up crushing them for stick mix or giving them to John Robbo next time he is on the sponge.

No problems with Hinders' service and they were completely upfront about the change in appearance of the Elips but being a bit particular about bait I can't use a pellet I'm not 100% about.

Very funny Will :D and all tongue in cheek as far a Cliff is concerned, makes the rest of us look like tramps:cool:

Ive been using the mistral ellips pellets and ive got 1 bag left there oily as hell fantastic but because i cudnt find these pellets any more i went to hinders and must say they are very dry not happy with them at all.

hq have them on the shelf want me to pick you a bag up lee or could sort you enough for the season for hookers

Just out of interest how quickly do all these pellets lose their 'dark' colour once in the water? Indeed, has anyone found a brand that keep their colour? If we take the lead of the carpers, who've been fishing 'washed-out' boilies for some time with more than a modicum of success (particularly on hard-fished waters), then perhaps the paler colour could be an advantage.

Many thanks guys for a very interesting amount of replies, i have spent an few hours in my shed sorting out my bait, so this years batch of poorly manufactured pellet will be use for the dropper, as i said in my first post they will be a nightmare to cut and hair rig, so that means i will use the rest of last years pellet for hookers.
I must say that i did think it was strange when i received a text message from Hinders offering free delivery, i thought that they may be struggling in finance to offer such a good deal, i now think it may be that they wanted to get rid of some sub-standard stock, i will send them an e-mail and express my feelings.
Brian.

Last edited:
Although i'me happy using teme7 elipse the last batch i had were also lighter in colour and their excuss was the same as Wills above, makes you think their all coming from the same place.

Graham - had a 5kg bag of the 10mm delivered yesterday and can honestly say they look and smell the same as all I've had over the last 4 years.

i've seen and sold them but haven't personally used them!
i reckon they'll catch you fish as will most decent baits, but when i use elips pellets im using them as a small bait similar to my feed pellets.

regarding elips its been documented on here in the past about the original's which may of been (selips) they were of a very high oil content:)
i stopped getting them from hinders mainly through the cost but also the quality(although a good friend treats me yearly)
i've used teme severn elips in the past and they're very good as are the sonubaits and mistral.
as with all baits location and confidence is the be all and end all;)

All,

I wouldnt worry about the change in fishmeal content, the current batch of hinders elips contain exactly the same oil as previously in content and volume, it is just the fishmeal that has changed due to availability. They may appear dry or dryer, but they contain the same amount of oil and the oil mix is the important ingredient. You will still catch as many barbel as before unless you are fishing badly. I will be speaking to Sam at Hinders next week as he doesnt work at the weekend and i will ask him if he can provide an official response to some of the concerns highlighted.

Paul

got the sonubaits ones in as well today 4s,6s,8s,12s;)

Good stuff Chas! Of the two, Mistral and Sonu, i would go for the Sonubaits Eliptical feed pellets every time if i needed a bag 'off the shelf'. Used them for the last couple of seasons ( since their release ) and have never been dissapointed with a bag - quality is excellent.

Hi Paul,
when you speak to Sam, could you point out that my bag of pellets were not to the usual size, they are all distorted and broken, they look like rejects.
Brian.

Hi Paul,
when you speak to Sam, could you point out that my bag of pellets were not to the usual size, they are all distorted and broken, they look like rejects.
Brian.

Brian go back to page 29 .Some one asked a similar question to yours on the 26-09-2011
''Elips Pellet mix '' Interesting reading go to page 2 of the post .

Back