• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hinders elip pellets

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
I have just had a delivery of Hinders large elip pellets, and once again i am not happy, last season we had an issue with the colour and a loss of oil, meaning that the pellets were very dry, after complaining a new bag was sent, but i had to pay for the new bag before they sorted out the problem, this time i am very disappointed at the size and shape, the normal pellet was about 12mm, these were cut in half and super-glued back together again, that is when i use a single bait, these pellets are like rejects and to cut them in half will not be the same, the bags that were delivered were two 10kg bags.
Has anyone had these problems, i will use the new pellet in a dropper, i do have enough of the old elips for hookers.
There are other companies that sell Elips, such as CCMoore, has anyone used these, and have you any good comments such as quality, and results.
I will not be using Hinders anymore, they also let me down on the delivery date, i will not return them, it's too much hassle.

go for grubbers, i like em better myself, i was also disappointed about the latest batch from hinders.

Teme Severn Ellipse are well worth a look, in 8mm and 10mm. They're good value too at £23 for a 10kg refill bag.
In my opinion they're not as good as their old Salmon pellets but they still catch plenty of fish.

Cheers
Mark

Team 7 for me as well Brian. For the last 5 years.

When I ran out, coming back from the Wye I dropped into Hinders and picked some of theirs up. Oil was all at the bottom of the bag, pellets dry on top. Totally different than the product some years ago in shapes and colour.

Teme-Severn do a special "Graham Mix" with 6 and 10's together of both halibut and salmon. Ideal for a change bait to go 2 x 6 as well as standard.

Brian, I've had the same problem with hinders elips last season. My second batch was a lot dryer and a lot lighter in colour, I wasnt happy with the second batch. I think they must have been an old batch and sat on their shelves for some time, havent bothered using them since after reading same problems on here sometime last season. Been using sonubaits eliptical pellets since but good to know about the other suggestions;)

I had a delivery yesterday, a bag of small and a bag of medium and the small ones are a lot paler in colour and feel less oily.

CC Moores for me.

Slightly larger, much more of a 'fishy' smell and high oil content and based on some of the Hinders Elips I've seen recently, much better quality;)

Another disappointed Hinders customer here. Quality has definitely deteriorated imo. Also the large ones i got were massive - not the nice 10mm ones they used to do, more like 15mm.

I'll be voting with my feet this season. Back to teme severn then, i guess.

I believe that there are two producers of elips pellets, one of those is in Denmark and the other - I can't remember where. ProLogic were one of the firms to market them and they were pretty good. I bumped into one of the leading lights a couple of years ago and discussed their availability. It transpired they had decided to cease marketing them at which point a friend of mine bought up most of the stock available in the UK. A shrewd move as it now seems. I thought that it was my imagination that the quality of elips pellets had slipped - but that was last season. As members know, these pellets originated as trout feed and trout feed prices have soared, hence it may be that corners are being cut. Halibut pellets did the job before elips became the latest thing, does it have to be elips? I can understand the disappointment. If anglers complain to the retail outlets then with a bit of luck, the manufacturer(s) will get the message that they have to produce a product that will sell. If the pellets are unsatisfactory, reject them, the manufacturers will cotton on pretty quickly.

Generally:
Fact - the original elips has changed a number of times for various reasons.
Some of the original 'orange' pellets contained an antioxidant/colouring agent which gave them a stonkingly long shelf life.
In fact I have some Bfw Salips from the batches of many years back which have been kept in deep freeze. These were discontinued by the manufacturer years ago.
Lots of different names for few pellet types!
Some bait suppliers will take 'standard' pellets and flavour them.

Always found Hinders service very good - a recent mess up with an order was speedily and efficiently rectified.

Cheers
Bob

I just got 10kg bag and they are the same as last year, ie. Much lighter and drier than the originals. That said I caught ok last year so bought more of the same. I did ring Hinders who assured me it was the change in the fishmeal base they that they had no control over and that the same amount of oil was used. Find that hard to believe, they are so much drier but couldn't say for sure if it effected my catch rate.

Team 7 for me as well Brian. For the last 5 years.

When I ran out, coming back from the Wye I dropped into Hinders and picked some of theirs up. Oil was all at the bottom of the bag, pellets dry on top. Totally different than the product some years ago in shapes and colour.

Teme-Severn do a special "Graham Mix" with 6 and 10's together of both halibut and salmon. Ideal for a change bait to go 2 x 6 as well as standard.

Have you got a link ?

Thanks

Last season I bought Cliff and me an order of Hinders pellets. When they arrived they were a lot lighter and drier than previously. Because I was purchasing these for a "mate" (and I use the term in the loosest of senses as I am actually more of a free guide/guru to Cliff) I was worried that he might judge me by his own standards (...he's from Essex) and assume that I had stitched him up by replacing what had always in previous years been a deep brown, oily and smelly pellet with a pale and apparently sub standard product.

So, I went onto the Hinders website and there was a message saying that because they could not source the original fishmeal they had had to replace it with white fishmeal and that they had had loads of enquiries but wanted to reassure all their old customers that they were basically the same thing and had the same oil content but were just a bit lighter.

Cliff seemed happy with that (but then again he isn't fussy about his bait or tackle - you should see the dodgy barbel "rod" he uses - God knows where he got it...). Anyway, long story short, I ended up cadging some of the previous season's Hinders out of an old friend (a proper friend) and having no confidence in the lighter ones they are still sat in a bucket at home, untouched. I wouldn't use them for hookbaits, will probably end up crushing them for stick mix or giving them to John Robbo next time he is on the sponge.

No problems with Hinders' service and they were completely upfront about the change in appearance of the Elips but being a bit particular about bait I can't use a pellet I'm not 100% about.

Ian.

Teme Severn

Best to phone and talk to Mrs Hitch. Say you want same bait hooker mix as me or Grahams Hooker mix.

They also do Ultimate Mix for groundbait and Mini mix (very small assorted pellets) to add to the grounbait.

Happy to share info as not guiding anymore except for few inclusive weekends all booked up already.

I am not sponsored by them or involved in any way, just very pleased with product over last 5 years as are many of my past customers.(About 50 on BFW)

Re Hinders. I think the trouble is the pellets are not holding the oil/flavour and as I mentioned earlier the base of my 5k pack was very oily so I inverted it in the shed. Its a good habit to stir/mix up any stored pellets now and again.

Graham

Last edited:
Although i'me happy using teme7 elipse the last batch i had were also lighter in colour and their excuss was the same as Wills above, makes you think their all coming from the same place.

Beware - despite any assurances you might be given some baits and ingredients change. Doesn't actually fill me with confidence.

Conversation some time ago regarding an additive and a boilie.

Supplier: Both are the same as always.
Me: Ah but the additive is a totally different colour and the usual sediment is gone. The boilie is a different colour and aroma.
Supplier: Sorry sir, no change.
Me: But I have some old stock of both, I'll bring it in to show you.
Supplier: Gone off maybe?
Me: Oh come on I'm not daft been messing with baits for decades. Besides that I used to analyse stuff....
Supplier: (Quietly) Well with the liquid additive we found that the inclusion of X made no difference at all so we left it out. The boilie, well it broke up easily on drilling/hairing so we had to reformulate, so the difference in colour. One of the ingredients got expensive and difficult to obtain so we left that out as well. That's why it appears and smells different. Appreciate you not mentioning it though!

Hmm, no change?
Cheers
Bob

Back