• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Habitat destruction

Dominic has given me the details thanks and he has done a great blog.

Story is in The Independent tomorrow, I hope this tragic destruction is the catalyst we need to get some action at last. The last few years have been a slog

There's an article in the independent about the river tone in Taunton where the EA have ripped all the trees out.
Can't seem to paste the link but should be easy enough to find on the independent website

Dominic has given me the details thanks and he has done a great blog.

That will help with bank erosion. Excellent. :mad:
"It is understood the trees at water level were deemed to be creating a flood risk by catching debris and restricting the flow of water. The area is due to be sown with a wild flower seed mix and replanted with native trees." So the original trees weren't native? FFS!

View attachment 17711
Some quality work here...
Copied from the minutes of a club's AGM:

'The EA required the landowner to remove the trees from the opposite bank to field two at Newbridge, apparently this is national EA policy. This was undertaken in the Autumn. The willow trees in field one will be pollarded at some point this calendar year, so expect to see some changes, probably in the late autumn early winter of 2022.'

I can't believe this is considered pollarding.

I was talking to a tree surgeon who was felling trees along Bullstake stream in Oxford and he said the EA are now talking about removing all trees from the Thames path because they are being throttled by ivy and keel over without warning and hence are a danger to walkers.

It's all quite sad really isn't it? I fear that with the current levels of housebuilding it may be an increasing trend.

Oh man what a tad about the tone! I fished it for the first time 3-4 weeks ago. Stunning wild river is the closest coarse river to me about 1.15 away. I was hoping to go Saturday and rove a large area I hope this isn't where I saw last time. Outrageous they do this and similar in so areas by the people supposedly managing it.

How can this organisation be cutting back on budgets and staff when it generates 30 plus million per year from rod licenses alone. I bet the bonus pot for the bosses is nice and fat.

I did think that given the amount of time this has been 'under investigation' the EA were at least partially responsible given the landowners reaction, looks like I was wrong and something is being done at last. It is a pity that a river has to be a SSSI to get any legal protection.

NE & EA River Lugg response

The AT have done a great job putting the Habitat Destruction Dossier together (link below), it was presented to the EA yesterday by Martin Salter. Thanks to everyone who contributed by sending your photos and details, you should see them if not in the main document but in the appendix. The EA have agreed to review and refresh their guidance and take action to embed it across the organisation. We will see if the actions meet the words but at least the problem has been recognised.

Habitat Destruction Dossier

As soon as I sent that post this ad appeared.

8F9FB8EB-9538-4C15-A00B-42E58120C1DA.jpeg

Back